Is there an age limit?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by pk_powell, Nov 25, 2006.

1. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My 12 y/o daughter just came to me asked my permission to join the BOC. I was shocked cause I can't get her to go fishing with me although she use to.I think deep inside she'd really like to get into it but since she's like her mom can't seem to catch anything she gets bored with it pretty fast.I don't have a problem with it if the staff doesn't mind.Shoot maybe you can convince her it's lots of fun even if ya don't catch anything.I'll wait for some responses before I tell her anything,cause if it's a go we have to give her a screen name and figure out how to get her picture up since we don't have a digital camera! Thanks guys I appreciate it! Sister Pat:smile2:

2. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

She's old enough Pat, join her up! We have a few members even younger than that. Glad to hear that she's interested, maybe it'll get her back into going fishing with you! :smile2:

3. dademoss

dademoss New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Membership in the BOC requires that you be 13 years old.

4. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Oops, sorry Dave and staff. I have seen children younger than that posting in the "For Kids Only" section??? My mistake, should have referred to the FAQ. :smile2:

5. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    just so we are clear ... its perfectly ok to act like a juvenile??? :0a33:
    :cool2: :lol:

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Hey there P.K. when will she turn 13. I didn't know about the age limit either. Guess they have to draw the line somewhere.Tell her to hurry and and turn 13. Of course thats makes you a year old also.:lol: :roll_eyes:

7. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    She'll be 13 in July Lord Willin! Oh ya all know a kid! By that time she probably won't want too! It's anybody's guess! Right now she's gettin into the "Boys are Hot" gig oh my when she's 13 look out!:sweat: :haha: :haha:

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Seems that with parental consent, there should not be an age limit. Guess this is done to try to keep the bandwidth under control. Sure glad it don't apply to us old people though.

9. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    PK, I think its great your Daughter is instersted in a fishing site. I'm sure BOC has put a lot of time in the rules.
    Buy her a fishing pole for Christmas. Take her fishing this spring. Take a pic of fish she catch's. Then for her BDay a user name on BOC so she can show off her catch and tell the story of how she out fished Mom. :smile2:

10. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    is an excellent Idea. She already has a picture of a bass she caught at Church camp but as I told her "Honey in that picture you've got the fish up next to your hair it's too hard to see" Bless her heart when I told her the rules she cried! I said it was ok pretty soon she will be able to join! So maybe I can still talk her into it when she's 13.I'd love it if she would join,cause I love to take her fishin if I can get her to go.:big_smile:

11. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Since she can't join for another 8 months or so perhaps you can still share interesting topics from the site with her and include any comments she has with one of your posts. You can always post fishing photos of her also. I include fishing photos of my daughters on the Pa. section pretty often and they get a kick out of it!

12. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Pat I can see the need for an age limit but at the same the reasons for the age limit would not apply for someone who has a parent who is already a member.

Big difference in your 12 year old being on the board and a child who is own his or her own on the board.

I would ask the staff to consider allowing younger members who have a parent in good standing already on board that will monitor the young member.

or

You could just add 9 months to her age and she would be old enough.

13. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Fishman I appreciate your comments but I am a person who isn't fond of bending the rules.Yea she cried a little but she got over it pretty quickly. I am going to gradually prepare her for joining. I plan on taking her fishing Lord Willing come spring and she can catch some bluegill and bass with a bobber and hook using nightcrawlers for bait.I told her it would be her job to catch bait for me so I can catch a biggun.So as I said before if I can get her off this deal of fishing is boring she'll be fine.Being a teenager they can be pretty fickle at times! Oh well I love her anyway!:smile2:

14. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Good Idea Pat about the gills, they bite good and she should catch many in the spring.