Is there a way to avoid catching bullheads and only catch channels?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Oscar, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Oscar

Oscar New Member

State:
    California
    There is a pond I know that has plenty of bullheads and they probably out number the channels 100 to 1. The reason I want to avoid the bullheads is because the channel catfish there are 15+ pounders. I went there today and I threw in a whole mackeral which was about 6 inches long hoping it was to big for the bullheads but no they just striped to the bone. Is there anything I could do?

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    A dream pond for collecting Bull Heads for flathead catfish bait..:wink:

If the Bull Head are that prevelant, try catching a smaller Bull Head, and presenting him as bait...

15 pound channel catfish are eating machines...

3. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    I had a very similar problem with a farm pond back home. we actually seigned the pond one year when there was a drought and took out a lot of bullheads from it. we left some so there would be some nice forage for the remaining channels but we saw an increase in numbers over the next few years. now it's back to the pond it used to be. You'll have to either catch them and use them for bait or throw em on the bank. I know that they eat the eggs of the other fish and can become a real problem if not kept under control.

4. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    You can cast your line out. Then jump in the water swim down to where your bait is and everytime you see a bullhead going for your bait twack him and he will swim away then when you see the channel going for it swim back to the pole and set the hook. On a serious note I don't think there is much you can do without cutting down the numbers of bullheads in the pond.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Try using larger baits for the channels.:wink:

6. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Bullhead's make great bait for big cat's and striper's.

7. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    im with the other guys, just use em for bait and use bigger baits...ive had that problem before, it just is what it is....

8. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    use big bluegill live fresh no cuts ,the mud cat go after anything that is cut or real bloody,so keep it alive and big.jmo!