Is there a such thing as to deep of water?

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by daytimedrifter, Jan 11, 2010.

1. daytimedrifter

daytimedrifter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have fished the ohio river for the past 7 years now, in the water i fish there is a hole around 75 to 85 ft deep depending on the amount of rain. i have anchored into it many times and never came up with anything, EVER! drifting over it i have caught a few blues but like all holes right at the beginning of it, not down in the depths of it. it is surrounded by 45 to 55 ft of water. im sure somebody has caught them but out of all the times ive anchored it i have had no luck, so either im doing something wrong or there not in that depth when i am. i have heard things about the thermocline but really know nothing about it or how it effects the fish, also something i would like to research more on. long story short the question is, is there a such thing as to deep of water? thinks and good luck on fishing this new year.

2. Jludtke

Jludtke New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Drifter,

I can tell you that we catch Blues out of 100+ feet of water on Wilson Lake in Alabama. A deep hole like that should be good at different times. Have you run over the hole with sonar? Are you reading any fish? A hole like this would be great to analyze with Lowrance StructureScan. I hope this helps.

3. kawriverrat

kawriverrat Member

State:
    KANSAS
    It depends on the body of water. To many catfisherman waste way to much time fishing the core or bottom of a hole. There are far more productive areas to fish. Specifically, areas that relate to the hole.

Deep water such as a hole on a river is most always a resting area for fish. They can relax here out of the current. So those fish that are there are not always in an active mood or looking for a meal.

Jeff

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  4. nateD

nateD New Member

State:
    IN
    i know of a hole on the Ohio that is about 75ft that i have fished 5-6 times. i always mark a ton of huge fish in this hole but i have never had any luck. i would think it would be a great spot to fish this time of year but i havn't been out in a while.

5. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 New Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    i pulled a 29lb blue out of that spot about a month ago and have hit a couple of times since and and a couple more on that i lost and quite a few bites, i suppose all those fish we mark in that hole are not all catfish as there are other fish in the river

6. nateD

nateD New Member

State:
    IN
    yeah thats true. sure would be nice if they were all hungry cats! lol