Is there a such a thing as TOO much structure?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by gebs, Jul 24, 2006.

1. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hello all,

I fish a very shallow, wide river that has areas of high pressure and areas of virtually no pressure at all. Overall the fishing is very good to excellent depending on time of day and location. My complication is that literally every 20 yards there is either a downed tree, bend, island, bridge abutment, depth change or some other kind of structure in my water. I'm looking for ideas on how to get the best results without spending the next 2 seasons investigating every single little nook and cranny. I've currently got 6 O.K. spots, 3 good spots, and 2 "always produces" spots, but I KNOW there has to be more.

The biggest fish I've caught so far is a 24" channel and a 27" flathead. I know there are monsters out there, I just can't find them. The average size fish I catch is 1.5 - 3 lbs. Great for the table.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    It's hard to say much without really knowing the area, but the first thing I would do is to start combining things - like don't just look for a downed tree, look for the biggest downed tree and logjam in good depth at the head of a good hole.

Also, can you find common factors about the good spots you have found so far: are they in a particular depth? do they have good current or less current or eddies? What makes them good?

Anyway, that's where I'd start.

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    The only time you can have to much structure is when its sticking up through the bottom of your boat.Examine those 2 "always produce spots" closely to determine why.Then ask yourself what do they produce, big fish or just fish.Often times a piece of structure that doesn't produce frequently has a very big resident fish.Generally the deeper water with structure works better but that depends on where it is;outside bend,inside bend etc etc.Lots of factors go to making good structure but you just have to work it out.:smile2:

4. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Try the biggest deepest nastiest snags, for the flats. Don't hurt if there's some current that its blocking, too. Especially for oxygen in this hot weather. If you find something like that, then you're almost guaranteed a flathead, if presented correctly. Good luck.

-Red

5. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    If all other things are equal follow the graph and look for a piece of structure that has been there long enough to wash a hole out of the back side. Sometime it does not take 2-3 foot hole for them to stack in there.

6. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    Depends on how much tackle you have with you.......

Sorry couldn't help myself...:embarassed:

7. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    Chuck:

In my opinion, There could almost never be too much Structure, I have to agree with Jim. Remember all Fish relate to Structure, Bass, Crappie, Cats and ON and On. You have some "Good" spots and some "Always producing spots". If you graph those spots you will see for sure structure. Go down the river and fish a part of the River with no stucture and fish it for hours, odds are you won't catch anything unless a fish trveling fron one structure to another. You have a goldmine there if you take the time to graph those different structure areas. Like others have said, look for hole washed out ahead and behind these structures, Try anchoring up ahead of the structure and fishing live gills just short of it by a couple of feet. Then anchor up at the very side of it and fish the hole behind it. You will be catching some GOOD Fish if you do a little graphing and investigations. Where I fish, there is almost no stucture and it is tough fishing.

These are my Opinions and Good Luck:

Gene

8. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    There is such a thing as too much structure. With too much, the fish could be anywhere.

If you have two or more types of structure combined in one spot though, it's a really good possibility a bigger cat will have staked out a home claim.

9. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I'm with too much structure is when it is sticking thru your boat, or when the monster cat of your nightmares breaks off in it. Good advice above, it takes a little time to find the honey holes sometimes. Patience, and persistance will get you there. Good fishin', Jack.

10. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    When you start catching limb fish instead of catfish, I'd say that's too much structure and like they said, when sticking through the bottom of boat. :big_smile:

11. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I would agree with most of what the guys have told you and would only add that in no way should you consider giving them a sporting chance. Go in with VERY heavy tackle and if you don't have some, get some. If you hook a big fish it is your responsibility to get it out and the only way is to overpower it right away. If you give it an inch you risk it snagging you. Don't risk leaving a fish snagged or trailing line that will get snagged. You will lose a few from the hook pulling out but that is better than having them hanging in the snags. Good luck and tell us when you get that biggun...W

12. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    My dad is an avid crappie fisherman and we have done a few tournements. An old timer than won 3 that we fished against told us there is something as too much cover. He specifically said this was true for crappie and cats (his two favorite). He said both have a certain 'comfort zone' and flatheads like to relate to certain areas and not roam. They like to ambush and too much cover can actually impede this. I agree with looking for several types of things together and the washout hole behind an old snag was an excellent idea! When I hunt flatties I go with quality over quantity in picking spots.

13. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    You have received some good advice, the only thing I will add is try to not get in the habit of only fishing the spots you have already found. Each time out try to fish 1 - 3 new spots. You will be surprised how many good spots you will locate. Sometimes it just takes time and patience to learn your fishing area.

14. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I was reading an article that showed two rivers - one with tons of structure and the ladder with less. The writer was saying that the one with less was better because the fish have less places to hide. I guess it only seems logical that if there are 8 biguns in the river and theres tons of structure, it will be more difficult to find the exact structure they're in. If the river only has a couple hiding places then you have a better idea of where they are. I hope it helps.

15. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I like alot of structure my self one thing fish are not going to stay in the same spot all the time they have there trails then go between deep and shallow water to feed it takes time to find them anote book listing who where when and what helps

16. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    yeah iv pulled 2 3 and more cats from the same spot all about the same size and occasionally hang a big one there as well ,they all have been caught in stucture or deep ditches on the bottom eddie holes are good hiding spots ,sometimes you can graph the area to be fished and find great holes or crevices where cats will hide they will come out of these holes to eat ,this means you can fish the edges and still with good bait lure the fish out into open water good luck

17. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I dont think there is a thing as too much structure, but what I would do is find a slightly bare spot between two heavy areas of structure and fish there. The fish will travel through that area and it will be alot easier for more fish to see your bait than if you had it placed right in the heavy cover. I prefere fishing just on the outskirts of heavy wood or rock. I think its just easier for the cats to find your bait. Plus you dont get as snagged quite as much.