Is the Weather effecting the fish???

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by Jeremy Sheffey, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Hey all. Just wondering if anyone else is fed up with all the weather that we have been having. i have to say that i think it is really killing this years fishing. i went fishing in a pond that only a few of us have access to lastnight and is usually a sure thing for some good size and plentiful fish. needless to say after 6 hours we had only one run and it was short lived. just wondering if anyone else is noticing simular trends??

2. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    ive had a great year this year. its only been the past 2 weeks thats been off for me ... im sure it will pick back up once our river levels get back to pool

3. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    I know the river's a mess right now. I work next to the big O everyday and right now there's anything from trees to refrigerators floating past. Also check the river temps and rain gauge every night. We've gotten around 3" in the past week and the temps are bouncing from 80 to 76.

4. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    yeah i see the big sandy and the big O everyday myself...looks like choclate milk half the time....kinda discouraging to fish when its up so high with so much stuff floating down it.

5. teamcatfish

teamcatfish Guest

I have to say that the fishing the past month has been kinda crazy for me. They are biting very slow here in morehead

6. brand270

brand270 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    We fished the Rolling Fork last night for a short time. Got alot of bites from mosquitos but not much more than that. Saw a handsome carp roll around.

7. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    Fishing shut off up here in the Illinois. The river is down over 4 feet and I fish shallow to begin with!

8. johndeere nut

johndeere nut New Member

State:
    oldham county,kentucky
    i think the weather is affecting them every since the temps have fallen in the 70-80 degree range for the past couple of weeks the fish have been almost non existant here around louisville anyone else experience the same

9. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Fishing for eaters @ Barkley has been good this year . Lost 2 or 3 big fish there this year 3 eaters from KY river 3 from Cedar Creek lake so by my rod and reel standards not to bad have seen better and worse total so far 36 I think . Maybe I should keep a journal I might be off by a couple .

10. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I fish barkley primarily , two weeks ago I was hearing good catches on the channels in 25-35 foot range.I went last friday and after drifting for 30 minutes with no bite I moved to a gravel shelf in 10-18 range next to a channel and caught 14 channels in four hours.I was fishing at the mouth of little river near the state dock.Of course water temps two weeks ago was 86 now it is 76-79.It has been a strange weather year.None were over four pounds.

11. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Caught several fish in the 30's in May,not 1 since.Had a few good days in June,just a couple in July hoping August is better.Flat tore them up most of the summer last year.

12. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    We have had a lot of rain in the evenings this summer and the lake has fluctuated and the river has been up and muddy most of the summer. I haven't heard of anyone catching any size but have heard of some catching several small ones this year.

13. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    yes some of us have numbers but no big daddys yet maybe this month will produce.:confused2:

14. preshrd3cpy

preshrd3cpy New Member

State:
    Calhoun,Tennessee
    Fishing here around Hiwassee and Watts bar is slow too dont really understand it. Really crappy to be on the water.:angry:

15. restorerancientiron

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I am trying to upload a picture of the channels I caught friday.No big uns just eaters.Hopefully this will show up.:roll_eyes:
    PIC-0079.jpg

16. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    looks like a good night....they will sure make for some good eating....:big_smile:

17. restorerancientiron

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    I fished when I got off work friday morning , hit the lake at 9:30 a.m.Didn't get a bite until 11:00 had to come off the lake at 2:00 p.m.Thats what I can't figure out , I fished deep early for an hour drifting but no luck switched from cut shad to the danny kings original punch bait and started catching the small ones.I kept one rod baited with cut shad the whole time but nothing.Sometimes fishing is stranger than fiction.

18. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i was going to go tonight but it seems as if it is going to be another wet one.... really kinda sucks get a night that the stars are aligned for some good fishing and the weather is going to foul you up.... i don't mind a few showers but all night.... i'm going to wait and try again tomorrow....

19. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    The dang weather is affecting me being able to fish....:angry:
    The river is too high & muddy and the lakes are probably muddy also. Keeps this up and i'll have to go to Greenbo and go for channels. I'm ready to hit the river, all the lakes around here suck...:eek:oooh:

20. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i agree with you 100% john..... ive even tried to fish some of the smaller ponds that some friends of mine own, 2 of them are old paylakes that had been bought and closed after their purchase. even though they got their fish in a bad way, they live a catch and release life now. anyway. they are up and hard to fish at this point too. so who knows when everything will calm down so we can fish the way we all like and catch the big blues and flats.

my dad told me to day that this summer is in the top 5 wettest recorded. im unsure of the truth but seems like the truth to me....