is the water temp to hot

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by joe stone, Jun 25, 2009.

1. joe stone

joe stone New Member

State:
    illinois
    for the past four days i have been fishing lake sangchris and lake springfield and i havent gotten one single bite. i have been fishing the dams with whole bluegill, big shinner, and goldfish i have even tried cutting the bait in half and using it that way as well but nothing seems to work is the water temp right now just to hot or is something else keeping the fish from bitting. if anyone has been catching any flatheads or blue cats please let me know im a little confused as to what is going on at this point.:confused2:

2. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    How deep is the water you are fishing. THermocline may have something to do with it?

Try putting a bait under a slip float and adjust the depths. Our Sponsor Wild Wolf Products has some amazing floats for holding damn near any size bait you can think of. Give ole ShilohRed a holler for some of his product info. I have several of them bobbers myself.

Could be a presentation issue worth looking into. Just a thought to try!

3. Arkslick

Arkslick Guest

Well Joe I don't know what the water temp is here in the Ar/Ok area,but the blues are on the bite.We are fishing in the Arkansas river below Kerr lock and dam. Sunday we caught 10 fish-approx 35#,Mon-18 fish approx 80#,1-24#,Tue-14 fish approx 75#,1-9#,2-8#,3-6#,Wed-51 fish approx 175#,1-22#,1-17#,Thur-41 fish approx 200#,1-23#,1-20#.These fish were all caught on shad,and between the hours of 2p.m.-8p.m.The air temp this week has been around 95-100.The water feels pretty darn warm.I know this doesn't help you much,but it does let you know that the fish do bite when it gets this hot.Good luck and don't give up!!!

4. Arkslick

Arkslick Guest

Sorry I forgot to welcome you to BOC. You didn't say if you are fishing moving water,from the bank or a boat.We have been drifting and also throwing jugs.We have also seen some pretty nice being ones taken from the bank. By the way,the fish we have caught over 10# are cpr only! Good Luck again.

5. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    hey, welcome to the boc!! not from that area but good luck!! shane

6. joe stone

joe stone New Member

State:
    illinois
    i have been fishing from the bank and the water isnt moving. im from springfield illinois and i have fished in both of the lakes and the sangamon river and have had no luck at all. before the water temp became hot and the hot weather hit us here the fish were bitting good but now that the humidity is very high and the temp is around 95 to 100 the fish have stopped bitting.

7. Jnagel

Jnagel New Member

State:
    Illinois.
    thermocline has a lot to do with it listen to bwhupp

8. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I hear alot of fellas all saying the catfishing is slow . I took the boat out tonight just got home . We caught 16 channels kept 7 all about 4 to 8 pounds . A few had battle marks and some had swollen heads and tore up fins . We was using dip bait . Bite came to a hault around 2:30a.m.

Hope it picks up for you and Welcome to the B.O.C.

9. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    welcome to the BOC joe from pennsylvania, i havent had any luck in the rivers here now lakes i do good i also fish from shore

10. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Welcome to the B.O.C.! As long as there is plenty of dissolved oxygen in the water, the fish should be fine, like Brian said, could just be a presentation tweek you need to adjust to. GOOD LUCK!

11. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    Welcome to the BOC Joe. A few days ago when we went out the water temp was 86 degrees in the current and the fish were biting fine. My best fish have been from the bank though in 4 feet of water so the bobber idea sounds good to me. Plays music from the movie........JAWS!!!! Tight lines.

:cool2:

12. zac

zac New Member

State:
    peoria area illinois
    thermocline