Is the spawn over? I'm not so sure....

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by RIVER-RAT, Jul 5, 2007.

1. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I've been out on the river the past two nights and have absolutely tore em up! One slight problem I noticed however, not a single fish landed was over 5 pounds. Even the places that I had been catching fish that weighed out in the teens couldn't produce a fish over 5 pounds. I noticed that the water temperature was right at 78-79 degrees. Given these conditions and catch results got me to wondering if the fish are now beginning to start the spawn, at least in the stretch of river that I've been fishing.

I did find an interesting article on the "Catfish spawn" that I think you all would find interesting the atricle stated that the ULTIMATE water temperature for spawning is 80-81 degrees and that prior to the spawn, the male catfish finds and cleans out a nest in preperation for a mate. It stated that the male fish eats very seldom if at all during this time period. The male even guards the nest until the fry leave the nest.

I don't know, I do know one thing though...I have been doing very well with the "dinks" but when it comes to finding the big dogs, well I'm still trying vigorously to land that new personal best.

Here is the article I was referring to, take a look at it, I think you'll find it very interesting reading and it may explain a few things. http://www.gameandfishmag.com/fishing/catfish-fishing/RA_0606_06/index.html

2. mofisher

mofisher Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for all the information!!! I've been trying to look into the catfish spawn and learn more about it without much luck so I appreciate your post. I haven't been out the last week or so myself but have been hearing about some crazy big fish 70 + lb fish being caught below alton dam using the drift fishing technique. So I'm not exactly sure what to think, but it seems like there was a definite change of luck around the start of this week. Thanks again!!

3. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Explain the "drift fishing technique".

Anything fancy? Drift with the current or some sort of 'drag' to slow down your drift?

Spread the knowlwedge. LOL

4. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Can't explain it to you but can suggest you check in the BOC Libary.Should be an article about it in there.If not I'm sure someone on here will answer your ?? for you. How you like that new boat?

5. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

John, I love that boat.

It has opened up a whole new world for me. Especially the time that I get to spend with my stepsons. We never really had anything that we enjoyed together. They were into paintball and BMX stuff and that just isn't my thing. Catfishing works for all of us.

As a matter of fact am taking my stepdaughter and her boyfriend out tonight after work. I got her a rod and reel for her birthday. She's excited to be going on the boat also. Not sure if it is spending time with stepdad or the boyfriend that means the most to her though. LOL:smile2:

Did I say I love that boat?

6. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    is just that , drifting with the current or wind or in some cases with the trolling motor , theres several ways to drift and several ways to control the speed of the drift such as sails for faster drifting or socks for slower drifting you can also use chains and or buckets

before i give you to much info maybe you should check the library

heres what i do i drive over a spot i like up river kill the motor drop my lines in the water usually 1 or 2 but keep them away from each other so as not to tangle i use the fish finder when it marks fish i check the depth and try and set my rods at that depth and let the current drag my boat over that spot

here latly on the ohio river the drift has worked fairly good theres not much current in the water due to it being so low , i drifted markland dam and set in the same spot for an hour before the wind finaly moved me

good luck , and i hope you enjoy fishing with them kids

7. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Bill, I don’t necessarily think it’s a spawn thing you’ve experienced catching dinks, they tend to feed by size out of necessity because the cafeteria bullies feed when and where they want, forcing the smaller cats to take their opportunities during the void of the big boys… We as fishermen have to fish when we can, when our opportunities arrive, using what we know in an attempt to better our odds. When I find dinks, I record when, where and how deep their feeding. They all follow the food source so we can learn from each trip at least about their feeding.
    We know some about catfish spawning habits but are just starting to better understand more on this subject. All three species favor certain water temps but not all of each species spawn at the same time but rather when they are ready which lets us know some will be done while others will just be starting. I’m assuming your reference here is about blue cats, there might be some pockets where a very small residual might still be on the nest but yes we can say it’s over. I base this completely from fish being caught. Some recent information about channel cats I found interesting is, females spawn once a year, but males have been known to indulge every two months. This could only happen if a female would come in to being ready. We also know that flooding also stimulates their wanting to make baby catfish. The more we know and understand, the better we can manage our fisheries.

8. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    heres what i saw in my home waters at 78 degrees this year. at first i found what you are talking about with smaller fish just wearing us out for a couple weeks. then i moved location to some deep water ledges and found good fish but not the numbers. i also seen a good bite develope with slip cork fishing along the ledges early in the morning and at night also but all the 20lb plus fish came off the bottom around the channel ledges and deep water humps. all these fish where pre spawn too. once the water temp hit 80-82 the bite was really slow but the fish was still there according to the graph. so i am convinced the big blues spawn in deep water on ledges in my area this year. so im guessing those big fish reports you are getting is coming from deeper water. now i fish lakes so your area might be different but i thought i would share what i saw this year. maybe it will help you. this was for blues only

9. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Great info guys, thanks.

CP

10. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    The water here in SE Missouri on the Mississippi is 81 degrees. On Wednesday morning, I caught 8 cats. Out of the 8, two were very beat up. Out of the 8, two came from shallow water (5-10 ft), one came from mid-range (20ft) and the rest were in 35-45 feet of water. None of these fish are what I would call "large" but the bigger fish came from the deeper water. That is, one 15lber and two 25lbers. The 15 was one of the beat up fish.

What can I gather from this? Maybe not much but then again maybe some things. It is likely speculation but...

The two beat up fish would be males. One came from 20 feet of water, the other from 35. I would say these fish are done spawning and doing some serious feeding.

I can't say for sure but it's possible the other 6 were females. Two 7 lbers in shallow water. Maybe they just finished up. Two 25lbers in 40-45 ft of water. Back to normal life on the ledges?

All the fish were caught on revetment banks. Some spots I target offer a sharp drop from the shore to the channel. I space out 4 rods coving water from shallow (5-10ft) to 50 feet. 6 of the 8 were on the two deep poles. 5 of the 8 were on the deepest pole. Some spots I target have a ledge and a drop-off. Couple that with a small cut with reverse current and you have a pretty good spot. Both of my beat up fish were caught in a spot like this. Perhaps this meets the criteria for a good spawning area. One of the 25's also came from this kind of spot in the deep water.

Well I guess I've rambled on enough. It's fun trying to put the pieces together. Oftentime very frustrating but fun, LOL. I do think the fishing is picking up around here though. I've caught 3- 25lbers in the last 2 trips, so I'm doing better in the past couple weeks than I have for the past couple months. Still not sure where the big boys are though :confused2:

Surely my previous lack of success can't be blamed on myself, so therefore the spawn is to blame!!:crazy: Yes, it's all so clear now, LOL.

11. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    Did you get a new boat shane?

I saw you driving out of New Madrid on Tuesday and you were pulling a different boat than what I have heard you talk about.

12. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Hi Ed,

No, it's not my boat. I've been having some trouble with my boat. This one is my fishing partner's boat. He's been real good about letting me use it, even if he's not fishing with me :big_smile: It's an '04 1860 G3 with a 90HP Yamaha.

It looks like I'm going to have to wait until next year before I can get something else.:confused2:

13. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    OUCH!!!! I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't get out on the river... It sure is nice that you have such a good friend to let you borrow his boat! I know my boat to me is a very precious thing, he must have an awful lot of trust in you!! That's what I call a great friendship!!