Is the Rock River fish kill over???

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by Chicago, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Chicago

Chicago New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Anybody heard anything about the Rock River lately, or fished it? I haven't heard any news since that huge fish kill from the ethenol spill last month. I was hoping to make a trip down there some time in the next few weeks. Hope there are still fish left in there :crazy::crazy::crazy::sad2:

2. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Nick, from what I've read, Biologists are calling it one of the worst fish kills in Illinois history with an estimated 72,000 fish that died. They are already restocking the river with smallmouth and pike, so I would say the kill is over, but it sounds like it's gonna take quite a while to get back to it's original numbers.
    Rat

3. wizazz

wizazz New Member

State:
    Illinois
    What part of the Rock River Did this Effect? Upper near wisconsin...... lower Illinois near mississippi river.... or the whole rock river was effected? :confused2: i gotta find out more info on this.... very sad... i was gonna take a flathead fishing trip to the rock river too... looks like its gonna be canceled :sad2:

4. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    It started approx. two miles north of Grand Detour and ended downstream near Prophetstown. (Almost 50 miles) Reports of dead fish surfacing were received even farther downstream in the Quad Cities, where the Rock River meets the Mississippi River.

DNR is releasing 4000 hatchery raised channel cats at Dixon today.
    Rat

5. Chicago

Chicago New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I talked with some guys who say that the fishing is still good. I'm not really sure. I may have to take a trip down there and find out for myself.

6. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Man that sure is sad news. But I am glad to hear they are restocking it. did they fine the company that made the spill. And is the company paying for the restocking and clean up?

7. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    The news here in Rockford stated that the Ethanol spill was not what caused the kill, just happened on the same weekend. Hasn't slowed the old timers from sitting on the bridges I know that.

8. Bubstr

Bubstr New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Went to Rock Island Friday morning to get some Secret 7. They was out, so I wet a couple lines in the Henipin Canal. That is Rock river water. Caught 3 eating size on Sonnys and probably a cold from a quick shower. Who knows, If I had the Secret 7 I may have caught a couple more and threw the cold back.LOL