Is the Govt's hand in the cookey jar

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by AwShucks, Feb 1, 2008.

1. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
  2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Uhhh Yea. No doubt. No question.
    The government makes more profit then Exxon/Mobile and they dont explore for oil, drill for oil, refine oil, or ship oil.
    They just tax the crap out of you at the pump. Fine and imprison you if you run untaxed fuel. Oh yea, the government is getting fat at the pump. Fatter then the oil companies with virtually no overhead to get it.

All the whining about the oil companies making a profit and politicians whining about unfair profits.
    WHAT ABOUT THE US GOVERNMENT? Why dont they cut their oil profits?
    Yea. Cut the federal fuel tax in half and shut up.

3. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Lawrence: What you think the Govt's cut of fuel taxes was off that? Astronomical.

They are getting close to the taxes they stick on cigarettes.

4. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    The governments hand stays in the cookie jar.:angry:

5. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    not to get off subject, but cute pups u got there John..

6. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I try not to think about this stuff. LOL.
    This administration can but wont do something about it.
    They own the cookie factory. LOL.
    Maybe we should nick name em, keebler

as for Exxon Mobil Co record profit. I dont care who what or how its explained on the supply and demand. It aint right. Both Oil Co's and Gov. is making huge profit off this. It aint whining, it's fact and it aint right. If Gov. is making more than Oil CO's, I must be a heartless person cause I sure dont feel sorry for the Oil CO's loss.
    I've said it before. The hi cost of oil doesn't just effect the pumps. It effect everything. Many oil by products from plastic coke bottles to and endless list.
    It is a good way to raise tax money without raising tax. Little tax rebates will be gone the first week most people get it. Like giving candy to kids and when they un rap it, take it back. LOL.
    People spend more cause it cost more.

I hope oil co.'s have AAA when traveling cause I dont think I would stop and lend a hand if they had a flat tire. The profits tells the whole story.

It would be nice if they used some of that record profit, set up a trust fund for our Disabled Vets. A little appreciation for their work. After all, fat pockets wouldn't be so fat if it wasn't for the security of our Military.

7. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    reckon how they will react when they reach in that jar and find a small pile of crumbs?

8. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Your right there...there is something rotten in the good ol USA. It is the crooked politicians that run this country. They are running her right into the ground.And dragging the rest of us down kicking and screaming. I don't know what the solution is...but something needs to be done quick!!!:angry:

9. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    That's simple, when they find nothing but crumbs, they find new and innovative methods of removing your income from you. I got a raise of 30.00 a month on my Social Security, and when I totaled everything up I figure that I am actually paying 49.00 more for a 30.00 dollar raise. go figure. Later Andy

10. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    THEY GOT BOTH HANDS AND 1 FOOT IN THE COOKIE JAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:sad2:

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Dano, they are doing something with the profit.
    Exploring for oil, new drilling technologies, and the oil companies have invested more money into alternative fuels then even the government.

While oil companies make 9-10 cents a gallon profit on a gallon of gas, what does the federal government make off the same gallon?

Is the federal government taxing a gallon of milk at the same rate?
    Are they taxing a quart of 10w-30 at the same rate?

I think its bovious who is raping who at the pump. Its not the oil companies.
    Where was all this whining when the oil companies were turning in losses all through the 80's?
    Are you saying that an oil company that turns in a profit is gouging?
    Was the consumer gouging the oil companies in the 80's?

We still have not reached the all time high price of fuel that was set in 1980.
    We'll have to get the national average up to around 3.26 to break that record.

12. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    "reckon how they will react when they reach in that jar and find a small pile of crumbs?"

Thats when they will say to China, ( the cookie monster ) , Got milk.
    For a cookie they will share the milk. LOL.

13. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    No Mark, profit is not gouging. But after a point, it is, there is a time when the line is crossed. I can give examples etc but , aint got the time to finish post right now.

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Is 10 cents a gallon price gouging?
    Would you even consider a 50 cent per gallon excessive profit?

Do you consider bottled water to be excessive profit?

Dano, The liberal congress has checked into excessive profits by the oil companies. They jumped on it like a pack of bulldogs.
    They couldnt find an argument for excessive profits.

Does McDonalds make excessive profits?
    A chicken Mcnugget costs them a penny a piece. What do they sell 6 for?

How do you determine excessive profit? Where is that line? A billion a quarter? A 100 million a quarter? Or is it just where you think it makes you uncomfortable?

I really do want to know what is excessive profit per gallon of gas. Right now you are saying its 10 cents a gallon.
    When I ran an electrical service van it wasnt uncommon for me to be running a 65% profit margin. Was that excessive? I call it efficient as hell. The company goal was 35% but you ought to know me, I dont halfass or scrape by.

I've bought fishing lures that were 25 bucks. I know dang well it didnt cost more then a couple of bucks to make the things. Is that excessive profits or just a dumb fisherman?

What astounnds me is people that complain about excessive oil comapny profits. You control that profit.
    If you stuff you SUV with 80 gallons of gas a week that is 8 dollars worth of profit you have given the oil company. Go buy a Prius and stuff it with 10 gallons a week and give the oil company a dollars worth of profit. You are in total control of how much profit YOU allow an oil company out of YOUR wallet.
    Hell, buy a bicycle and cut em off.

15. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Said it before, I'll say it again, If fuel prices are simply a refection of higher "raw material" prices then why have the profits increased?

The net profits should have remained relatively stable. Yes? No? Why?

16. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    What exactly is excessive profit in anything us consumers purchase??? I think we all work to survive, some actually find something they are good at and actually love what they do for a living. Most just find something to do to get by cuz it's what u have to do. Very seldom I see anybody who loves what they do to make money or just to make ends meet, (except Baitchunker, he must love what he does lol) no seriously, i think the owners & investors of the oil & gas industry were just smart enuff to get into one of the most consumed products on this planet to make their money..Just like cpr, to each his own...Right now i think any price on gasoline that is more than what we were used to paying 3 to 5 years ago is going to be too much in most eyes no matter what it goes up too...I dont like paying it either, but fact is its not going to get any better any time soon, so either buy electric, hybrid, or just get used to it...my 2 cents worth

17. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Is car gas their only source of turning profit? Most definately not.
    Lawrence, like I said, the liberals in Washington went after them like a pack of hounds. They either couldn't define or find excessive profits.

Now I would a thought those liberals surely would have if it was there.

How is Microsoft looking to increase its profits? Maybe ANOTHER subsidiary.

GE. What do you think of when you think of GE? Appliances? So their profit comes from appliances? Most certainly not. GE owns a part of or in whole A BUNCH of companies that dont even carry the GE name but relate to their profits.
    GE is even into banking. I can name 42 subsidiaries of GE and I know that aint all of them. There are other major companies they are entertwined in like Fed EX.

Here are a few of Exxon's subsidiaries I wonder what all else they are into?

Aera Energy LLC
    Esso Petroleum Company Limited
    ExxonMobil Chemical Company
    Advanced Elastomer Systems, LP
    Infineum International Limited
    ExxonMobil International Limited
    ExxonMobil Pipeline Company
    Imperial Oil Limited
    TonenGeneral Sekiyu K.K.

GE dont do bad. They have been known to post 4 and 5 billion dollar quarterly profits recently. Excessive?

18. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    And the profits just happened to go up with the oil prices? Pure coincidence? Good/bad timing?

Ah, how sweet it would be if I too could once again believe in the Tooth Fairy......

19. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Purely coincidental? No, Exxon is in the oil industry.
    If demand rises profits rise if you are a corporation managed well.

Is it coincidental that GE's profits go up if Boeing orders 1,200 GE90 engines at 20 mil a pop?

20. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya im starting to believe its thier grand design. im 1/2 convinced, never mind. what i was gonna say is for the high intensity area and i dont go there. has to do with 9/11. ill just say ya. there hands are in a lot of jars.:angry: