Is the fishing bad this year

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by big cat, Jul 29, 2007.

1. big cat

big cat New Member

State:
    Iowa
    ive been fishing alot this year but it seems to me that last year i had alot more fi sh and alot bigger this for example i fish under a railroad bridge right below a rock fallwhere theres a whirlpool and its about 10-15ft deep there and theres alot of structure that sounds like catfish heaven huh. Last year when i fished there i caught 4-10ib fish well this year i caught 5-8in catfish i wonder if it had anything to do whith the flood we had this spring or am i doing something wrong does anyone else have this problem.

2. mad catter

mad catter Member

State:
    Iowa
    No problem here, this year is the best year I have ever had for catfish.

3. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Depends on what you call bad. Fishing is a time to rest spend time with kids, grandkids or best friend how can that be bad? Catching a fish is just a little desert with the meal. Just my outlook on fishing.

4. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    Its been slow here but overall not to bad.

5. Longjohn119

Longjohn119 Well-Known Member

State:
    Iowa
    About the same as last year, maybe a bit worse but compared to '04 and '05 it's kinda crappy, in '05 I was averaging 3.75 a fish, but this year it's probably closer to 2 per fish. For some reason the Corp of Engineers has gotten it into their heads that they need to keep the Mississippi 2-3 feet below normal no matter how much rain we get ... Last year it was a bit of a drought so it made sense but cripes we had over 3 times the normal rainfall in July and above average slightly in May and June ... I'd sure like to know what's up but I can't get a straight answer out of them (Rumors are it's due to budget cuts because of the war in Iraq and this is the cheap way of some experimental habitat management but it's not working IMHO)

Last night (Thursday) was one of the best I've had so far this year because the river was almost at normal levels but it didn't last long, they've already dropped it about a foot in 36 hours and that just ruins the fishing, at least where I normally find them ....

6. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    Seems there is a front going through every other day or more, that don't help.

7. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    My crew and I have been havin a off year this year to.We are havin spring flooding in august and the water hasn't stayed steady for any amount of time but we do have some vittles in thy freezer to account for our outings

8. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I'm just getting back into fishing after several years of not even putting the boat in the water.
    Then I had motor issues.
    Anyway
    I sure can't find them.
    The up and down river levels sure aren't helping.
    I also don't know where the holes are.
    I guess its kind of a start over thing.
    best of luck
    just

9. KingVille

KingVille New Member

State:
    Iowa
    this year is my best year every as for as fishing goes ... and fishing is just about over for me because of winter but who knows maybe i,ll go ice fishing...maynot it will be to cold then.. so i,m tring to catch all the flats i can be4 winter hits

10. redwiskers

redwiskers New Member

State:
    iowa
    This has been a good year but the fish are not where the where the last few years. My usual hot spots havent produced much this season. When I find a good spot I seem to be catching big fish however.

11. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    That spot you're talking about sounds real familiar to me. What county are you fishing in?

12. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Haven't been on this site much this summer.....but the Flathead fishing for me has been a little slow. I have caught 11 so far. On the other hand the channel cats have been great! I had a little slow stretch in July but other than that it has been a good year for quality fish from the 5-12 pound range. I couldn't even count how many fish in this range have been caught (and released) by me and my fishing buddy out of my boat on the Des Moines river. It has been good so far and is only going to get better. October is a great month to fish for big fish!