Is the bite improving?

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by 223Smitty, Jul 22, 2006.

1. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Are things picking-up in your area? BIGCAYDADDY71 & I have been out a few times over the past few weeks, and although we'd only gotten skunked once, we both agree the bite has been slow.

We fished Salamonie Thursday night, and caught 6-7 between us, with the largest being 6 pounds. We usually carry a good assortment of bait, including 'gills & crappie (not live) softcraws, crawlers, chicken liver (both plain & garlic), shrimp, and some god-awful looking cooler full of who-knows-what Scott carries :lol: . The cats had seemed to prefer the softcraws prior to our Thursday night trip, but wanted the "stinky stuff" that night.

Also, it seems like the bite "window" isn't open very long. May be a couple hours through the night where the fish are active, then seems like it drops to nothing. Anyone else noticing any of this?

Smitty

2. skippie2use

skippie2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    If u are in a boat remember to watch the depth finder and to stay in the thermacline. fish humps and holes that are just above and just below the thermacline. Generally within 3 feet above or below. This is where 85 percent of of the fish in the lake will be. Just remember that the thermacline is where that the oxegen is and where it is, is where the bait will be. Where the bait is is where the feeding fish are. Dont be afraid to fish suspended. This time of year almost all my fish are caught suspended. Also try to drift if you can learn to drift you will realize a tremendous increase in your catch. The faster you are drifting (to an extent) or trolling if you need to to keep the boat moving in the dirrection that you want you will catch more fish. The slower you drift or troll the bigger the fish tend to be. Good luck and hope that this helps.

3. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i havent noticed a slow bite been slamming flatheads on live bait ,now the blues on the other hand well lets just say imo flatheads and blues have switched roles havent caught but one blue since spawn havent fished for channels so i cant comment on them ,you know somethings wrong when you catch flatheads on the drift but dont see any blues

4. skippie2use

skippie2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    You will not believe this but I just caught a 30# blue last sat. that was all tore up and looked like he just came of the nest. I have been catching smaller ones as well that looked the same way. There should be a picture up soon on catfish masters web site of me and my partner with that fish and it is very noticable in the picture. It will prob. be on the connersville chapter page. I have been catching the blues drifting though the last 2 weeks. Good luck tonight hope you catch a hog. I will be at Markland dam tonight hope we get one as well. Shane

5. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I haven't been out catfishing too much in the past couple of weeks. I'm hoping to be able to get out tomorrow night. If I go I'll let you know how we do.

6. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I have to agree with you about the whole window thing. The bite has definitely been very slow and I've been using a wide assortment of baits too. It seems that turtles never stop biting though lol.

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have been catching more fish but smaller fish. Here in NC

8. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Yea, the window is a killer this year. everything goes crazy for a while and then jus stops dead.

9. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    lol, then I guess it isn't just me. Hopefully things will pick-up soon.....and glad for you guys who are hookin' into the big ones.

I didn't think to ask, but we've fished mostly starting around sunset (maybe an extra hour or so prior sometimes). Are any of you guys fishing daylight hours?

Skippie- I have been meaning to give my PH meter a try on the cats. Alot of the time we use Scotts boat, so I forget to grab it out of mine before I head his way...I'll have to remember it next time.

Smitty

10. shadman

shadman New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I talked to a friend yesterday and he caught flatties and 1 blue on small rock bass including a 15 and 18 lb flattie

11. shadman

shadman New Member

State:
    Indiana
    sorry........I left out it was the White River at Petersburg

12. skippie2use

skippie2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Smitty generally the depth finder is all that you need to find the thermalcline. The density of the water will show up on it. You will generrally see a small line across the depth finder that stays consistant, that will be your thermalcline and it will generally hold pretty consistant throughout the lake, unless you hit a spring or the mouth of a flowing creek. As im sure you know those areas are always oxegen rich as well. If you see a line or blurred line on the finder you are seeing the thermalcline. For a long time I always thought that line was a flaw with the depth finder. The way I came to realize what it was with a digital thermometer with a counter on the wire. That temp depth was always the depth of the dang line on the depth finder. So I went back to the manual, which I always hate to read, and found out that my cheap little depth finder knew something that I had no idea it could do. Dang electronics make life a lot easier to cheat. ITS GREAT. Hope this helps. Good luck

13. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I don't doubt a bit what you stated. Only reason I would use my PH meter is for me it would be easier & more accurate since I would have more confidence in reading it. I have a new Eagle fishfinder on my boat, but haven't used it enough to become familiar with it's "ins & outs". I will however use them both in combination, and can compare the 2 & help myself learn to identify the thermocline on the screen when compared to the change in PH on the meter.

Thanks for the info!
    Smitty