Is that a brown trout??

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Mr.T, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Pipe leak forcing sewage into Missouri River
    By MARK WIEBE
    The Kansas City Star

Repairs to a leaking sewage pipe is forcing Wyandotte County’s Unified Government to allow raw sewage to flow into the Missouri River today.

As a result, the Unified Government has advised people to avoid contact with the river in the Kansas City area downstream from the Fairfax sewage pump station, which is on the river east of Kaw Point in the west bottoms. The government also advised pet and livestock owners to prevent animals from drinking or entering the water.

“It’s going to dissipate pretty quickly as it goes downstream, so the danger is not going to be around for long,” said Unified Government spokesman Mike Taylor.

To make the repairs, the Unified Government must temporarily shut down the pump station. It expects to complete the repair and have the pump station back on later this evening.

During that time, the government estimates that 1.5 million to 2 million gallons of raw sewage will be dumped into the Missouri. A news release said the government is working with the Kansas Department of Health and Environment to monitor the river’s condition. The release also said that the Kansas City area’s drinking supply would not be affected.

Taylor said the Unified Government discovered a leaking sewer main Thursday near 3rd Street and Minnesota Avenue. That leak is soaking the ground with 30 yards of the broken pipe.

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Well, last night when I went by the La Benite boat ramp there were signs at the entrance, saying something about another river clean up exercise. The boat ramp was closed as well. Maybe they're netting the brown trout as they go by. This kind of sucks for the weekend!:angry:

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Fortunately, it's not a problem upstream from Kaw Point.

Maybe we should put in there instead?

4. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    BradK might have a lot of company this weekend!

5. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Fellers........that just stinks!

6. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Jack, you were looking for something to chase the cats your way, this might be just the ticket!

7. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    ahhh no big deal. You know how many boat ramps are between kaw point and Iowa?... A lot!! plus brads heading to st.joe...

8. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    :lol: Thanks Doug, I'll take em anyway I can get em. I'll get me a pair of rubber gloves and go see if they made it down here in the morning!

9. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I'm thinking all the crap will be "flushed" downriver by tomorrow!:lol:

10. eggman

eggman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    the funny thing is if those cats will eat all the different stink baits out there they might just suck up a few of those bown trout too........yuk

egg

11. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I hope you guys are practicing catch and release on these trout...better yet I don't think I would even be catching.:crazy:

12. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I was out below Kaw point last night, noticed nothing unusual. I know 2 million Gal. sounds like a lot but in the grand scheme of things it's a drop in te bucket to the mighty mo.

13. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    After fishing Sunday, my boat didn't have any more of a brown stain than normal! I would have liked to see Marty throw his net(with his hold in the mouth routine)!

14. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    It looks like they're stocking more "trout" this morning. Saw we have another sewer break by Fairfax. Smell anything Brad?

15. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hope I don't hook into one of those logs sunday! Not a big brown trout fan, but I always assumed they were already there due to all the small towns with inadequit sewage systems.

16. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    don't think I can get My boat in @ Kaw point anyway. Last year I tried to rip the cross member from My trailer after they lowered the river. Don't want to go down that path again...LOL

Going to launch from La benite later today when the Rain stops! Guess We wont be douing any swimming tonight. What a bummer, I was hoping to join the polar bear club....LOL