Is some'ping' putting off the catfish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by spanishcatman, Jan 9, 2007.

1. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    Sorry about the crummy title! I mentioned this as a side comment on another thread, but thought I'd ask your opinions properly.

I was fishing a while back with my finder on and a scuba-diver appeared by the side of my boat. Yes, I was a little shocked! To cut a long story short, he told me that he could hear the 'ping' of my sonar easily under the water. I know that cats are amazingly sensitive to noise and I aim to be as quiet as possible at all times (as a friend of mine puts it, 'Make a noise like a piece of cheese...'), but this was news to me.

I asked a few other blokes what they thought. Several told me that they did better with the finder turned off, to the extent that would scout out a spot, drop down markers and return later with the sonar deactivated. What do you think? Will it put them off? I don't like fishing blind if I can help it...

Thanks in advance for your views.

2. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    When I find a spot I want to fish my finder is turned off. I can hear the clicking in my boat so I know the fish can hear it.

3. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    Thanks Mike, after reading your post, I just remembered that I read an article somewhere that said the fish can hear the ''ping'' of your sonar and that you should turn it off. But I am like you, I still would like to know if it is true or not.

4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I bet some have caught alot of fish with the sonar on. I never have. Makes me wonder. Hmmmm.

5. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks a lot for your input guys!

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I would think how deep the water is would also make a difference? We always leave ours on, and we catch a lot of fish, although we normally make a pretty good distance cast away from the boat, and the poles we put straight down hardly ever get good fish.:confused2:

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    If you are fishing a popular body of water such as Santee there are so many boats out there the pinging must be continous and soon it becomes like living next to the airport.All the sound just becomes back ground noise that humans, animals and fish ignore.I dont know any guides that turn theirs off nor do I and I have caught tons of fish.I have observed deer,elk and antelope that live in major firing impact areas on our military installations and they hardly notice artillery,mortars or small arms firing unless it impacts very close to them.Dozens of boats pinging away along with the noise of the engines going,water skiers,jetskis etc doesn't seem to bother the fish ,ALTHOUGH on many lakes the fish do seem to bite better at night when the overall traffic is less.I agree depth plays a part also as the boat itself,shadow or engine noise,trolling motor etc can spook fish in shallow water.:smile2:

8. Riverfish3r

Riverfish3r New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Jim had a pretty interesting comment about Santee. Me and my buddies started a college tradition of going down to Santee each year around the middle of May. We have fished with 3 different guides out of a popular landing and none of them use their sonar. I think there may be some truth to not using one, but I know on most catfishing videos, they find some fish with their sonar and turn it off. I think most guides turn off their sonar and fish blind b/c they do not want customers knowing that they are fishing over spots with no fish. Also, all of the guides we have fished with have drifted. Our three trips with three different guides have given us weights between 50-100 lbs on a full day trip.

9. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Thats an interesting topic. Never even thought of that.

Wheelmobile07

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Brian,I have fished with most of the guides down there and many times with some of them.I have yet to find one that didnt turn his sonar on.If you listen to them on the radio in the morning when they come out they will be telling each other "I'm riding around looking at things" which means the are using the sonar.Even if they drift they usually take a look at different areas to see whats there and I have fished with some of them that looked at several spots and werent satisfied until they found an area with bait and fish.The people you fished with are "guides" but if they didn't hunt up the best combo of fish and bait for you then you should have asked for your money back.Sometimes I could see if they have been fishing an area for a few days and catching lots of fish they might go directly to that area and start fishing but I would never make the assumption that fish were still there without looking..I cant even imagine a guide not using his sonar and as I have said I fish with guides 6- 7 times a year or more and have never seen it.If a guide did that to me and I knew him and his capabilties I wouldn't say anything if he went directly to a spot that he said they had been doing well at.If we moved and he didn't turn it on too look at the next spot I would question him or have him take me to shore.Of course occasionally one is broken so they cant use it but most have a spare of some sort.Send me a PM with the landing and the guides names and I'll talk to the president of the Guides asssociation.:smile2:

11. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    My sonar gets turned on when I launch the boat and turned off when I put it back on the trailer. I don't have any problems catching fish. I also don't particularly worry about being ultra-quiet in the boat and it's never made a difference that I can tell.

If your sonar is audible to a human under water, then it seems to me there might be something wrong with the transducer - your average sonar operates at either 50 kHz or 200 kHz. Humans can only hear up to around 15 kHz or so.

12. spanishcatman

spanishcatman New Member

State:
    United Kingdom
    I guess there could be a problem with my finder, although it still shows the stuff on the screen as I would expect - including areas that I know really well.

When checking out a spot in the past I used to stamp loudly on the bottom of the boat and watch the screen. Cats in the area would show up on it as they moved in to take a look. They were attracted to the noise, a bit like a clonk I guess. Problem was, they wouldn't feed! If I came back a few hours later and fished quietly I would usually get them. It may depend on the mood of the fish I guess. As for the sonar, these days I don't take chances. If I'm at anchor I switch it off. Mind you, if I'm mobile then it's always on!

13. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    So, Mike, are those wells catfish edible? They look like giant tadpoles to me.LOL!!! Also, supposedly a baby can hear an ultra sound like a drum when in the womb. I think that water distorts the freqency somehow. Also, sound waves travel farther underwater than through air. A blue whale can communicate with other whales all the way across the ocean. Just my 2 cents. Not saying that it spooks fish, because I don't know that. I almost guarantee they can hear it though.

14. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    My LCX-25C puts out 8000 watts. Is that enough for you?

I catch shad almost exclusively from the boat, with the sonar running continuously. The fish finder doesn't affect shad any more than it affects any other fish.

The fish can't hear it, they can't feel it and they don't know it's there. The laws of physics say so, regardless of what you might believe to the contrary.

15. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I guess the stories that my great uncle told me about his submarine service were lies !!! Is that what you are saying here!!!
    If it makes a ping on the hull of a sub and the crew can here it..... So can the fish!!!

16. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I like that! Thanks!

17. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I thought for sure that you would have more to say than that :roll_eyes: !!! I think you missunderstood what he meant, LOL!!!

18. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Not going to get into wether fish can hear 200kHz or not but you CANNOT. What you are hearing is known in the Submarine Sonar Community as transducer pop. It is a much lower freq noise (~5kHz, depending on system) unintentionally generated as the transducer emits the acoustic energy into the water. I have been a Submarine Sonar Technician for the past 17 years and I don't know much and I don't mean to preach but I do know a thing or two about, well SONAR. This phenomenon is not limted to fishfinders, most high freq military and commercial application sonars do it as well. Can the fish hear the transducer pop - well I can!?!

For what it's worth, I never turn my LOWRANCE 332C off and I seem to do okay.

Not to sound like a know-it-all but it just so happens my wife is a licensed Ultra Sound Technician - those babies are not hearing the signals they used for ultra sound. To get the resolution they need in that field, we are talking megahertz!! Ain't nothing hearing that.

19. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Master Chief, I was on an icebreaker moored in Boston many years back...the pinging on the hull was constant, and I was told it was coming from the Beth Steel shipyard across the harbor.

Is that "ping" the transducer pop you referred to, or is it the sound of the signal bouncing off of the hull?

20. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I turn mine off when I'm anchored. I've read some stories stating that it does affect the catfish, maybe larger ones more. Don't know for sure, but when you're not moving, there's not much to see anyway.