is SHE heating up yet?

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by bnt55, Sep 9, 2008.

1. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Anyone hit the big O? just wondering how the fishin is going, I'll probably be heading out this Sat. in search of the illusive catfish.

Thanks
    Bill

2. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Me and catfish John are going to Greenup L/D Tomorrow. We're going to target skipjack replenish bait supply in freezer. Then we are going to move down the river a bit and target old wiskers for a bit. We'll be bank fishing but should be able to give a report Thursday evening.

3. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    pretty slow on this board lately...everybody must be fishing and don't have time to write reports cause they are catching too many fish! It looks like rain this Friday so hopefully I will be out on the river.

Bill

4. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    The rain has been the waiting game.I am going when it's showing.lol:smile2:

5. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i went out yesterday for 5 hrs with no luck. i fished 40 ft range to 13 ft range. only bait i had was shad. i did get a few bites while drifting in the 18 ft range but wasnt hard enough to hook up. talked to some other guys who had caught 10 cats in the 5 to 10 pound range. so its just a matter of finding them not that they arent biting.

6. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    have you guys tried the deep flats?(aka mussel beds) ive been doin pretty good on them! catching multiple fish from 8-40 lbs

7. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    explain deep flats?

8. Steve Douglas

State:
    Kentucky
    just like it sounds deep flat bottoms, not much contour, generally made up of gravel altho i have caught them on mud flats on occasion! a deep flat can be 25-30 ft or 40-50 ft! for the most part rite now since there is no or little current , the blues are just cruizin these flats lookin for food, in the food chain! the lil bugs and larvae are atreacted to the flats for there food source,(algae , decomposing matter) in turn the baitfish is attracted to the larvae and the catfish are attracted to the baitfish! makin the flats an awesome place to find fish this time of year!

good luck!

9. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    what about shallow flats? 10 to 15ft range? i know there is alot of baitfish around these areas. and i have been catching alot of 5 to 10lbers the last 2 days. but will these areas hold bigger fish?

10. Steve Douglas

State:
    Kentucky
    you know dave i dont know! i never fish that shallow in the daytime! anything is possible in fishin :confused2: just like that guy that caught that state record channel catfish on a barbie pole!:crazy: i do know the 10-15 lb flatheads and the channels use those shallow flats at nite!

11. bluegrass cat hunter

bluegrass cat hunter New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    How do you distinguish what type of bottom it is in 25 to 50 feet of water? As far as gravel or mud.

Thanks

12. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    catfish john and I went to Greenup L/D Thursday 9/11 to Catch some Skippies to put in freezer for future use. My 1st time fishing for skippies. We had a good trip stayed all day. WE brought home168 Skippies that ranged from 4 to 14" and 1 carp about a foot long. Those dang skippies was tricky, should be called Heydeni jacks .They can escape from a hook as quick as any thing I ever fished for. WE had planed on fishing for cats a will but didn't get around to. Thought I'd pass along the info.

13. Steve Douglas

State:
    Kentucky
    feel it with you sinker!

14. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    You can also use your depth finder, especially if you have a color unit. On mine red means rock or gravel bottom. If it's red with yellow or another color above it the red is the rock and the rest is mud or silt.

15. bluegrass cat hunter

bluegrass cat hunter New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks guys, for some reason I never thought of the sinker:confused2: