Is our Jlingle the same Jerrod?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by loanwizard, Feb 22, 2008.

1. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Is our Jlingle the same Jerrod Lingle that had a very good fishing year in 1995?

I was looking at Oklahoma State records and noticed a familiar name in the Walley category. Just wondered if it was the one and the same and if we could get the story.

Thanks,

Shawn(OH)

2. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    nice fish:roll_eyes:

3. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Yep that was me. Still trying to milk that 15 minutes of fame for all it's worth. I held the record a little over 9 years, it's since been broken by a CATFISHERMAN of all things. :angry: The guy had never caught a walleye in his life, and then landed one on stinkbait or cutbait or some such nonsense.

Okay, the story: This is one of those "truth is stranger than fiction" type stories. You'll soon understand why I don't get too bent out of shape about the way my record was broken..... I was ridiculously lucky. Then again, I've always been lucky when it comes to catching walleye. I can't explain it. My first walleye ever was caught when I was 9 years old. It was slightly over 10 lbs. Told ya, I'm just lucky when it comes to walleye.:tounge_out:

I caught that fish on a Sunday during spring break from college. The previous Monday, my dad and I were walleye fishing from the boat. I was throwing some sort of chrome & blue rapala crankbait and had caught several nice walleye, when a BIG fish slammed my bait. I got it to the boat & dad netted it. It was a real pig of a walleye, and she was completely swollen with eggs. Dad asked me what the state record was, and I replied that i thought it was around 14 lbs. I still don't know where I came up with that number, the actual state record was 11lbs 4 ounces at the time. When we got home, that fish still weighed almost 11 pounds after being toted around on a stringer & me squeezing eggs out of it while admiring it. I found out the next day that I'd eaten what was (wihtout question) a state record fish. I was sick. I couldn't believe how ignorant I'd been..... I was such an active fisherman & still didn't know what the state records were for a species of fish THAT I WAS TARGETING!!!! Poop.

That following Sunday afternoon, my dad wanted to go fish one more time before I headed back to school. The wind had kicked up badly & we were throwing jigs from the bank along a very rocky & rip-rap infested area of the local lake. It wasn't long before I'd lost all my heavier jigs. Dad still had one, and he was wearing me out catching walleye. He'd caught about a dozen & since I lost my heavier jigs, I hadn't landed a fish. I was walking along the bank, heading over to a fella I knew to try to bum a jig, when I glanced down & saw a sassy shad on a 3/16 ounce jighead. I snatched it up, tied it on, and within minute was battling the biggest walleye of my life. Honestly, that's how it went down. I got the fish to shore & a local guy jumped in the water and helped me land it. Now, it would make a better story if I had said the first fish (that we ate) was bigger, but that wasn't the case. We knew when that fish hit the bank, that this walleye was a state record. It was noticeably bigger than the first fish. The pickup was parked on the other side of a small mountain, and my dad and I literally sprinted over that mountain to the truck. We went to 2 different bait shops for weights, and the first baitshop showed 13 4 oz, which was exactly 2 lbs bigger than the previous record. We took a bunch of pictures & the game wardens and park rangers came to witness the weights and measurements, and then we took it to another baitshop for a "second opinion" on weight. That weight was still over 13 pounds on their digital scale. I was loving life.

I got home and started getting everything packed for my 3.5 hr drive back to college when the phone rang. It was the game warden, we didn't have an "official" weight on the fish yet. I'd put the fish in a wet towsack & placed her in the freezer. I had to load the fish back up, and drive 30 minutes to a grocery store with a certified scale to get the official weight. That weight was 12lbs 10 oz (3.5 hrs after I caught it), which stood as the official state record for over 9 years. If we had been able to find a certified scale locally, I'd still have the record. It doesn't make me any difference really, I've lost another walleye that I know was bigger since then. That record will be broken again from my local lake, no doubt about it.

Within a week after catching that walleye, I also lost a smallmouth that would've been a state record, because I didn't have a net. I botched the landing from a bassboat on Texoma. The guy who was with me was a heavy tournament fisherman & immediately told me "You know what you just did? You just dropped your second state record!!!!" He said that smallie would've broken the state record easily. I'll never know, it didn't make it in the boat.:smile2: It makes me no difference now. I don't fish for either walleye or smallies very often anymore. If I'm fishing, I'm fishing for cats now. That's just how it is.

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Congrats Jerrod!!! Way to go! Great catch!!!:wink::big_smile:

5. keyskevin

keyskevin New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I just can't believe that there was a mountain in Oklahoma, must have been a grassy knoll.:smile2:

6. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Okay, so it was a big rocky rattlesnake den.... maybe not quite a mountain.:eek:oooh:

7. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Yep Jerrod, you are most likely one of the luckiest anglers ever:wink:!

8. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Great story Jerrod thanks for sharing.