Is my rod setup OK for carp?

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by simko, Jun 6, 2006.

1. simko

simko New Member

State:
    Ontario
    Hi everyone, for my first post id like to pose a question

i have a 5'6 Ultralight power St Croix premier rod, with a small size 10 Quantum energy spinning reel with aabout 90 yards of 6lb Trilene XT line
    i was just wondering if this is an adequate setup for an ultralight carp rig.

thanks

-aaron

2. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Might be on the little bit of the small side. But that ok the fight will be fun. He might strip 90yards though

Good luck with the carp, the catfishes cousin!

Josh

3. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I've always prefered heavy gear for carp, but if your patient and want a fight I don't see why it wouldn't work.

4. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    I use ultralite most of the time when fishing for carp. Just make sure your line is in good shape (I use 4 lb ) and the drag works well on your reel. You will be in for a fight with even with the small ones. My largest using ultralite is 17 lbs.
    Have fun.

5. tragic

tragic New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    we've used 4-6 pound test for carps.. just don't let the carp go too far with or your 90 yard is gone :p

6. simko

simko New Member

State:
    Ontario
    respooled my reel, 8lb raven mono, 110 yards

i hooked into my first carp (damn thing musta been 20-25" long, but the hook didnt set right and it came out, but it was fighting really close in, great fight with my light gear.

7. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Generally don't like to think of myself as a carp hunter, but when I do looking for cut bait I use some pretty heavy gear. Matter of fact I just change up my rig on my 8ft pole, garcia 6500 c3 and 25lb test and go at it. You are for sure in for a good fight. I would recommend upgrading if you plan on hitting anything big.

8. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Carp are part of the minnow family and aren't in any way related to cats. I use UL rods alot for carp and it is fun.

9. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i have a 7 foot medium action rod with a abu 6000 on it and i'm thinking about 18 pound test.they can be real tackle busters:confused2:

10. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    My fav carp outfit (as well as eater channels) is my 7' medium action custom rod rated for 6-12 pound test with a shimano 2000 size reel loaded w/20 pound braid. If I catch a small one they still put up a good fight, and if I hook a biggun' hold on! I have caught a 20 pound common carp (my PB) on 6 pound test, so they can be caught on light line if you don't horse them.

11. schatz15

schatz15 New Member

State:
    indianola iowa
    i use my ice fishin rod it has 2lb on it :cool2:

12. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I draw the line (no pun intended) at 4 pound. I don't live up north, but when it is cold, water less than 50 degrees, the fish don't fight as hard. I guess that implies with ice fishing. I caught a couple of double digit carp in February on 6 lb test pretty easy. My 20 pound PB was in the heat of July though and it burned the skin off my finger trying to apply extra tension to the drag.

13. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    i fish with smaller rods in the 6 foot range with 6-10 test. i recoment the lighter line to get more bites! i keep a kyack next to me and i fight the larger ones out of that so i can keep up with the larger ones. you shouldnt have a problem with any carp under 20# with that gear as long as the line is good and the drag is smooth. i would pack an extra spool of line or two just in case you hook a 30+# fish that gets away from you.

14. santeecat12

santeecat12 New Member

State:
    gastonia,nc
    id say if you want to be in a real good fight that is what i would use...just remember as long as you play him good enough (i know you will)youl land him.

15. santeecat12

santeecat12 New Member

State:
    gastonia,nc
    id say your doing pretty good cause all i got is a little eagle claw spinning reel lol but i did land a three lb carp...well hope you catch the big one