Is my motor too low?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by barry, Apr 18, 2006.

1. barry

barry Member

State:
    WV.
    I have an old tri hull,that is hard to get on plane.Should I raise the motor mounting to get it on plane easier?

Attached Files:

2. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Depends on a lot of factors, how much the boat weighs and also what horsepower the engine is. If you dont have enough power, then you will never get on plane no matter where you mount it. Sometimes if there is barely enough H.P. to get on plane a hydrofoil will get it the rest of the way up.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Give more details, like JAYNC mentioned.

It does look too low, but more details would help.

I've also got another tip about your prop when you tell us the rest of the story.

4. barry

barry Member

State:
    WV.
    More info, the boat is a 17 1/2 ft tri hull and I have no idea what it weighs. The motor is a 1972 Sea King(Chrysler), 55hp. I ordered a hydrofoil for it and will put it on when it comes in, It had one on it in a past life as the mounting holes are still in the lower unit.
    Info on the prop would be a big help I know nothing about them, just looking at it it looks rough and I have thought about replacing it.

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I thought your motor might've been a Johnson/Evinrude and I was going to suggest you try to find a Chrysler prop for that size motor and get it hubbed for a Johnson/Evinrude. The Chrysler props will accept a Johnson/Evinrude hub.

Chrysler made props that transfered more power to the water during that time period.

Get your engine moved up to where the anti-cavitation plate is even with the bottom of the hull and add the hydrofoil. Start with your engine in the second hole up from it's lowest position and see how it performs.

If your not sure when the water pump was replaced, do it NOW.

6. barry

barry Member

State:
    WV.
    Thanks all for the help!!
    I will move the motor up today. The lower unit had a total rebuild last fall before it was put to bed for the winter. New bearing,seals and waterpump. The shifting rod was a bear to get back in adjustment,still not sure that I got it right and I plan to check it on the lake tomorrow.
    I am going to put in new points and condenser as soon as I get them. The top end of motor rpm was lacking last fall and I am hoping this will solve the problem. The carb and fuel pump were rebuilt at that time.

7. barry

barry Member

State:
    WV.
    I got the motor moved up till the anti-cavitation plate is even with the bottom of the boat. while doing it I found that I had a crack in the transom with some rot in the top of it. I reinforced it with 3/4in womanized pine the length of the transom inside. A cut down womanized 2X4 on the top and womanized plywood outside bolted and glued everywhere. I still have to fill and fiberglass it.
    I added a hydrofoil,actually a hydro Troll.
    Thanks again Barry

Attached Files:

8. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    That hydrofoil will make all the difference. Just take it slow the first time to see how your boat reacts to waves and steering imputs. Some boats don't react too well to hydrofoils. I'm sure it will do fine but just use caution and see how it does before going through your first turn at WOT and not knowing how it will react.