Is my dog trying to escape?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Flatheadhunter33, Jun 3, 2006.

1. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Okay, Now I know that this is not a doggy discussion forum but I am hoping that somebody can help. I have a 1yr old rottie. We've had him since he was 8wks and he has always been a good boy. Right now he is still trying to get control of his bulky body (clumsy and goofy:smile2: ).
    Latley he has been digging around the backyard like he's trying to get to China! We have spent some time and cash on our land scape so I gotta get him to stop...can somebody help?

2. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I once had a dog that dug holes everywhere in the back yard and kept escaping only to return. I would fill in the holes and he would dig another. I think it is a personallity trate for some dogs. I never came up with much of a solution and the dog out grew it.

3. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    Dameon,
    They will often dig out of boredom as well. Do you have adequate toys and things for him to chew on for when you are not out there? How much time a day/evening do you spend with the dog either playing, training, or just loving on him?

4. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    Also, is he neutered or intact?

5. timbo

timbo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hi i had coon dogs years ago and had the same thing going on, in my case it was a cool spot to lay in .so i put a plastic kids pool for dogs to cool off in,:big_smile: and it worked,,this might work for you ??? thanks TIMBO

6. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    My best friend had a Rot the same way, dug up everything, put a kiddie pool in the pen and poof happy as could be.

7. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    there is the posability that there is a female in season out there. My old dog BUD is almost 14 yr and likes it inside the house just fine until a female comes into heat , he would stand at the corner of the fence with an inch of snow on his back and howl you couldn't kep him in the house .

8. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    You could have if you had neutered him. :smile2:

9. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    I have 2 dog that are spayed and neutard (?) they still dig holes
    sometimes they smell something in the ground or bored
    dogs are very nervous animals they have too do something
    all at once

10. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    My old hound digs holes to lay in but it's mostly out back where it's not too big a problem.

I planted some grass seed in an area out front and he dug it up 2 or 3 times. I hooked up an electric fence charger and ran a wire across where he was digging and soon heard a yip outside. I looked out and he was walking away looking back over his shoulder. I took up the charger and he hasn't touched the new grass since.

I've also used the charger to break neighbor dogs from turning over a trash can. Works like a charm.

11. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    means to alter , Ithink that one of the problems in the world is all the altering going on in the name of humanity. Most things left in there naturel state usualy work there selfs out.

12. tocold4u2

tocold4u2 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i have a way to get your rot to stop digging . go out and get a shock colar, they work great , i trained my lab with one ,when you hit the warning button they will stand at attention!!! my dog was reall bad at chewing on shoes,,chairs,,,,couches and everything else,,,,now he only chews on his bone,,,and he use to be a really bad runner,,,,now he goes no more than 20 yards from me....i got my unit from ebay,,,for $100
    it was worth it after he chewed on a $2800 couch my unit has 5 levels and each of those 5 levels has a low , med, high setting, and yes i tried it on myself before i put it on my dog,,,
    hope this helps

13. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    sprinkle pepper, lots of it

14. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Most dogs will dig this time of year because a fresh dug hole is cooler then just on the ground.Sometimes you can stop some of it by trimming his toe nails.You can also lay a piece of fence flat on the ground next to the fence and the grass will grow throught it and you can still mow over it and he can't dig through it.Alot of it is because he is still young too.

15. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    I've noticed my Mook digs if he smells something in the ground. He starts to scratch at it, then jams his muzzle into the dirt and sniffs and snorts. I think he smells other animals that have left their scent there. Just keep him occupied. Rottweilers are very intelligent breeds, with working lines. They will find something to do if you don't find something for them.:roll_eyes: Whether it's a basic OB class, SchH, or even just getting to go on walks with "Dad".

16. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I purchased a shock collar a while back on the advice of a neighbor who also uses one for his rottie. I spent approx. 150.00 on it and all it did was make Duke's neck twitch a little. Other than that he would just look at me like he was enjoyin it:confused2: ! So like the dummy I am, I put it around my ankle just to see...told my wife to hit the button and MAN DID IT HURT! Wife got a kick out of it and still threatens to use it on me when I dont listen to her:roll_eyes: ! Oh the irony:big_smile: !

17. Spongiform

Spongiform New Member

State:
    Virginia
    My mom's beagles kept trying to dig out constantly. Finally she put up an electric fence around the inside of the fence and they stopped that crap quick. Havn't had a single escapee since then. They're in a fenced in area made with a 600ft fence. It's got a couple dog houses - I call it the dog apartments. A couple big shade trees and automatic feed and water.

18. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Let me get this straight, you are using electric to shock a dog. you said it hurt, doesn't that tell you something.
    PLEASE don't hurt dogs.