Is my boat too small for the Missouri River?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by dcastle, Jul 17, 2007.

1. dcastle

dcastle New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've never been on the Missouri and just wondered if my boat would be big enough to safely handle it. Its a 15 foot flat bottom Lowe line with a 20 Hp Mercury. Its five feet wide and twenty inches deep.
    Thanks

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    It's too small for *me* to go out on the Missouri in, but you certainly wouldn't be the first to use a boat of that size. Be careful and you'll probably be fine. If you've never been on the river, it'd be wise to go with someone more experienced the first few times, then venture out on your own.

Your biggest concern in that boat ought to be making sure you stay far away from barges. Fortunately, there aren't a lot of them on the Missouri River.

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    You should be fine. I see lots of guys out in boats around that size. Personally, I'd feel safer on the river in your boat than on the lakes. Less chop and wakes on the river. If you haven't boated the river before, a trip or two with an experienced river boater would be a good idea. You can also find info on how to read navigation markers and bouys on the Corps of Engineers website. Good Luck!

Branden

4. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I have a 16ft flat bottom with a 25 horse and we have been fine. But, I have been with guys that have been on the river a long time. They have taught me the ropes and shown me the way of the river. If you are going on the river you need to be aware of everything and don't take it for granted. I have been passed by barges many times and I will get behind wing dams or slip in a creek and never have a problem. But, one time a buddy and I got caught in a storm and a storm hit at the same time ( well, we saw the barge coming and went in a creek and the storm hit as we were waiting for it to pass) we had to go to the ramp and it got hairy. Just Know where the channel is and you will be fine.

5. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    my dad and i used to fish the Missouri in our 14ft flat bottom, being pushed by a 15 horse power johnson. It got the job done. Like everybody else has said, go on the river with an experienced person and you will be fine. watch out for wing dikes that are still under water, that is one of the worst feelings, lookin up and seeing riffles of rocks right in front of you and no place to go but over them. Be careful and good luck.

6. 3dukmn

3dukmn New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm like Mr. T there....seen it done, but wouldn't do it myself.

7. xOZx

xOZx New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would not. I ran a 15' monarch with 25 hp Johnson on the Alton pool for several years, but the Missouri is a different river...at least within 10 miles of the confluence.

:crazy:

8. shopteacher

shopteacher New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I used a 16' jon with a 25hp Evinrude for several years on the Mighty MO. Then upgraded to another boat. I felt safer on the river than most wakes.

Mine was 6' at the beam and 18" deep. Regardless of the boat or engine size keep in mind safety and don't do anything you are not comfortable with.

9. dcastle

dcastle New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for all the tips. If one of you have a little extra time some weekend morning, I'd like to ride with you and learn about the river. I write a column for the Northeast News and Johnson County Best Times in the Kansas City area. I've read a lot of your posts on the Missouri river and think it would make an interesting story. It looks to me like it takes a very special type of person to fish the mighty Mo.
    When I started writing two years ago I did a story about my father and a special trip to the Marais des Cygnes river shortly after he died. It appeared in several magazines but is a little rough since it was just the second story I ever wrote. You can read it at the link below if your interested.
    http://www.genealogyforum.org/rememberwhen/fathersgift.php

10. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    loved the story

11. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    I personally feel that the answer to this question should be a default "NO". I see this question a lot on the BOC, and in our willingness to support (we are a very supportive group, my applause for that), we might be pushing guys to not listen to that (wise) little voice in thier heads. I would like our group policy to be "if you have to ask, the answer is probably no until you are so ready, you dont think to ask."

Castle, instead take your 15 out to a tributary first, the fish can be just as big and the river can be safer (depending where you go). When you feel real comfortable, and have been out with other BOCers on the big water, then think about it.

Swift river water is catagorically unsafe. You never know what can happen in water anyhow. I am a very accomplished boatsmen, and still have had a few near misses in the past 10 years (one under Dam 25 this year, one in the boat of a PWT pro on Lake Michigan in 04, one in Canada as a kid). I will take guys out with me often, but seldom step into other guy's boats for that very reason.

I am sure a guy in the KC area can take you out. If you were willing to come out my way, I would be glad to take you out too. PM me if you are w/in striking distance to 79/70 O Fallon area. I am sure other will offer too, but you need to stick around the BOC a bit and get known. Lots of guys offered to take me out when I first started.

Anyhow, that is my opinion. Baby steps.

CP

12. dcastle

dcastle New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks Cpalombo,
    I think I will try the Kaw river up by Edwardsville. It's not as wide as the Missouri and looks to be a lot slower. Should be a good place to get my feet wet before thinking about the Missouri.

13. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Great idea. Big Rivers are no less fun that the many medium sized ones we have here in Missouri. My kid brother Sal Jr (BOCer in Michigan) would kill for any one of the dozen or so "small rivers" that we have in this state. Closer to home means easier on the wallet too. Often less pressure as well.

I meant that about taking you out on the Miss river. If you are near O Fallon, let me know and you can head out on my boat with me.

CP

14. dcastle

dcastle New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If I lived in your area I would sure go with you but I'm all the way over on the other side of the state in Kansas City. Thanks any way though!

15. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    good point brandon,i was amazed the first time i got on the river just how calm it was unless the wind is blowing thirty miles an hour it is usually calm.the current and eddies have little affect on your boat.in a little boat give the barges wide birth ,in fact to be safe pull over and let them pass or if your anchored to close to them pull anchor and clear the way.you have plenty of time because you can litterally feel them coming the current changes and they move fairly slow.besides that stay away from anything that the current appears to be moving around or over .