Is my boat big enough for catfishing?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by fat_fish55, Jan 17, 2006.

1. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    hey,
    i just purchased my first boat. it is a 16 ft with a platform and a high seat up front. it has an old 10 hp evinrude sportwin and a trolling motor

my question is : is this a big enough boat and motor to go catfishing out on the river. thanks

2. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    KC, Welcome to the BOC. You may want to post this question on the information by state threads. You might get some info from guys that fish your river and know a better answer for ya. I'd think you may want a bigger motor say a 15 -25 hp. but the boat should be fine if it has tall sides.

3. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    KC,

We have a lot of old hat boat experts here that can help. But they will need to know what type of waterway you are fishing?

Paul

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    how big of a river? i have a 14 footer with a 9.9 that i used to fish out of in a medium sized river all the time. it was a little cramped but it worked. boated a few 30+ pound fish in it. there wasnt hardly any boat traffic though.

5. QuincyFisher

QuincyFisher New Member

State:
    Quincy,Illinois
    I'm his friend in real life and he is fishing mainly the Mississippi River in as far west you can go in Illinois

6. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have a small boat and motor (14/48 V with 12.9 hp) , and I wouldn't have any worries about an occasional trip to the Mississippi. But, I also would be cautious about rough water, barges, and swift currents near obstructions etc. I think using common sense is most important, especially at night.

If you plan on fishing near main channel a lot, or going through locks and fishing the tailwaters, I would recommend a bigger motor. And something reliable to start in a hurry.

Just my $.02.

shawn

7. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Fat Fish I have a 14ft al semi v with a 25hp out board and I've had it all over the Miss,Ark,Tenn rivers +some small rivers and large lakes up to 68,000 acrres with no problems.

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The boat is big enough for most waters, but does that old motor have any scat to it?

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Always remember the first rule of boating:Whatever you have now is two feet to short!;) Also remember my favorite quotation;"Common sense has proved to be not so common after all":)

10. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Jim, well said. That's as good advice as anyone can give. Vern

11. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    thanks for the info guys
    i just had it tuned up and checked out at the local aqua tech marine.
    it now starts in less than half a pull
    i took it out in a bay and went through a cut-through to the main channel.
    there was a strong wind blowing from south to north so it was a little choppy for my first time out.

12. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I was wondering if you are able to come up on plane with your 10 hp motor.

13. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    hey im not sure what you mean by
    "come up on plane"
    please tell me what that means , i am new to boating

14. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Coming up on plan means you've got most of the hull out of the water. You know the way a boat "squats" down at the stern and the bow comes up when you apply throttle? Getting on plane means you've got enough power to get the boat up and kind of (hydro)planing across the top of the water. If you don't have enough motor to get on plane, you're hull is in the water deeply and pushing a lot of water and it's hard to get much speed. The b@$$ guys that come screaming across the lake with just the last 18" of the boat and the prop touching the water as are on plane :) That's my understanding, anyway. Hope that helps!

Branden

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    When I started fishing the Arkansas River back in 1983, I used my father-in-law's 14' jonboat and 6hp outboard. You just need to be more careful with a smaller boat like that.

"On plane" means the boat is sliding across the top of the water rather than pushing its way through it.

16. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    oh i see what ur saying
    i dont think it has quite enough poewr to do that
    ill just be careful
    thanks for the responses guys

17. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    That setup should work fine. Id suggest saving some cash and keeping an eye out for a good used motor that is a lil bigger

18. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Fat Fish I've got and old deep and wide 1969 simi V with bench seats that is very safe but I never run anything on it but a 5hp OB so it was very slow but safe,I ain't used it in years but I have had it on two small rivers,Sardis and Enid lakes and I even had it in the Gulf one night and the whole time I only had that little 5hp.

19. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    thanks for the info guys
    it has enough power to do that a little, but thats with 2 other ppl sittin in front so alone i might get more speed

20. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Just wear that life jacket out on the big water.