Is mono backer really needed for braided

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by neocats, Nov 15, 2006.

1. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Is a monofilament backer really neccessary when using superbraid lines?

2. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Its cheaper thats for sure! I tie my braid off to the spool and wrap it with electrical tape and it holds fine. To each and his own tho.....

3. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    If you're using a spinning reel or a reel where the line doesn't pass through the spool to begin, yes you do need mono backing. Otherwise the drag system doesn't really work, because the braided line just slides around the spool.

An example of this is if you were stuck on a stick or log fishing 30 pound braided, well you set your drag really high to pull free and the line just slips right when you are barely pulling, like at 8-10 pounds even if the drag is set at 15-20.

4. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    You can also wrap something with a little bit of "cushion" around the spool and then put braid right over that. Duct tape ought to work pretty well. I use mono backing.
    /Scott

5. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use mono backing to take up space on the spool. Fill the spool with enough mono so that when you get the braid on the reel is full. Make casting better and retrieves a little faster. 125 to 150 yards of braid is all I put on a reel the rest is mono.

6. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Same here,I'm a cheapskate.A few wraps of tape will work like others have said.
    A reel that holds 200yards of 20# mono might take over 300 of 50# braid...........I like to spread the love to my other reels also:lol:

7. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I wrap the spool with electrical tape and so far no problems.

8. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I done it both ways , never had any problems with either, I use my rods for saltwater too so the last few years I spool up as much 80 lb braided as I can. It aslo comforts me cause when I get that 150lb blue on I won't have to worry about running outa line.

9. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    I put mono backing on the spool to keep it from sliding. Also, since braid does not stretch it is a good idea to put mono on the reel.

In reality I have spools that can hold 200 yards of line or more. Impractical to load the spool with braid, when the two hundred yards will never be used.

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Electrical tape works just fine. The mono will take up some room so you don't have to fill the spool with braid. On a small diameter spool, though, the tape is fine.

11. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    I always back mine with mono, although not so much to take up the space, because January-April I take my calcutta 700 off the cat rod in search of reef donkeys, etc.

12. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Thanks for all the helpful insight guys.

13. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Years ago, when I first started using this stuff, I drilled the spools so I could tie it off, and that worked just fine. Now, though, I just use a few turns of mono.

14. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    I use electrical tape on both my spinning rigs and my bait casters it works great. I have been getting a couple of years out of a spool then I flip the line and get a couple of more. I usually ended up changing out mono 2 times a season. So even though it seems like a lot of money for braided I think its actually a savings in the long run.