Is jugging illegal in Michigan?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by General, May 30, 2006.

1. General

General New Member

State:
    Michigan
    i just wanted to know if it was legal to jug in Michigan, because if it is then i will try it in my pond. I have caught little cats on it but never big ones, i want to see if there are any in there

-josh-

2. General

General New Member

State:
    Michigan
    i meant to say if it isnt illegal then i will try it in my pond

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Generally, if your fishing a private pond on land you own, you don't even need a fishing license. So, I'd say you could jug there also. HOWEVER, check with you local warden...they are decent guys who don't mind answering questions. Michigan may be like Oklahoma where you can email the State Department of Wildlife to get answers to questions as those. Go out and do a little snooping to see if you can find an email address.

4. General

General New Member

State:
    Michigan
    thanks, i will try to email them when i get home from school. lol

-josh-

5. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Jugs are illegal. So is limblining, setlining, etc.

I am not sure of regulations on private ponds, though so call the DNR office nearest to you for info.

Good luck.
    Sal

6. General

General New Member

State:
    Michigan
    thanks sal, and i will give them a call.

and good luck to you too.

-josh-

7. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    just curious but why was a post moved from the general catfishing section to the Mississippi section when the question pertained to Michigan? I understand the move out of general but to Mississippi???? unless for some reason josh lives in michigan, MS and only put the city name down for his profile...

And to answer the question, If the pond is on your own private property its not illegal no matter what the regulations say... check with your local DNR to see if it is or not though incase you want to do it on a public lake/river

8. General

General New Member

State:
    Michigan
    i didnt move it

9. Derick

Derick New Member

State:
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    thanks for the post josh, and the answer sal, unfortunately i bought my weedwacker line two days ago and was planning on making some up this weekend and putting them out on a new spot i found to see whats in there to catch, guess i should have read my rule book first!

10. michiganwhitetailRLM

michiganwhitetailRLM New Member

State:
    MI
    my Name Is Rick.i've Been Fishing And Hunting For A Long Time And I Have Heard Of Jugging And Limb Lining But Have Never Done It. I Was Wondering If Anyone Could Explain Both Of Those To Me Or If There Is A Website I Can Go To. Thanks Guys And Good Luck.