Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Northernglitch, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Northernglitch

Northernglitch New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Question guy at work is selling his boat. Is this worth it?

Year manufactured: 2001
    Make: Smokercraft
    Length: 24 Ft.
    Motor: Yamaha 70 HP 2 cycle outboard
    Seating/stowing capacity: 13 persons or 1900 lbs

Features:
    Bought brand new in 2001...I am the only owner.
    Less than 100 hours on boat/motor
    Propeller has never been damaged.
    Will have brand new mooring cover custom made as a part of the deal
    New marine battery 6/2009
    Live well for fishing w/ pump
    Storage under all passenger seats
    Changing/washing area with lighted mirror and fresh water shower head
    Bimini top
    Marine AM/FM Radio/Cassette w/ 2 speakers
    Garmin marine GPS
    Pirahna Depth/Fish finder
    12-volt spotlight

Trailer has surge brakes and is made by Wolverine, bought it with boat

$8000

Attached Files:

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    What are you going to use it for? From the way it is set up it would be hard to fish out of for me. it doesn't sound like a bad price.

3. Northernglitch

State:
    Ohio
    Fishing mostly but the wife has a bad back and I have an 11 year old daughter and 15 year old boy. I figured when they get bored they would have plenty of room to do their thing. Also, the motor looks really clean below is a pick with the guts. If you notice on the pic of the full boat above there are two more spots for two more swivel fish seats that I would buy to put in. The guy was a aircraft mechanic in the military. It looks like he takes care of his stuff.

Attached Files:

4. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    It really does not matter what someone else thinks . What really matters is if you think its worth it to you and your family . The price is fair . I always tell my wife and kids if they are happy thats all that matters who cares what it costs you .

5. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Sounds like a good price to me.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sharp rig, good price. If it fits your needs and budget, go for it. It should serve you long and well.

7. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I need a good deal like that ! see if he has a spair hell part with for half that :wink:

8. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    Look at where you would put rod holders and how you would fish out of it, over the side or back. Picture what gear you want to take, rods, coolers, baitwell, and where they would fit in the design. If it looks like it will work for you, go for it. I prefer a more open floor, but my boats are used just for adults fishing, not as a family ride. This might be a good compromise.

9. Northernglitch

State:
    Ohio
    Appreciate the feedback. I am in talks with him. Scheduling a test run for this weekend to see how I like the feel of it in the water. Also a great time to picture where I might store and use things. It just so happens I travel with almost all my gear in my trunk of my car so I just may bring it onboard then just to see.

10. rasmotherman

rasmotherman New Member

State:
    salineville, ohio
    thats a real good idea. see where ur stuff will go and see if you can still fit the kids and wife. it really only matters if you would geet 8k worth of enjoyment out of it. if u think it will end up that the wife and kids rarely go out then maybe u should buy something that is more fishing friendly but will accomodate them on occasion. if they will be out every time then you lean towards suiting them and figure how to fish from it. (where theres a will theres a way to fish)

11. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    best advise is get what you want, if its not what your lookin for you'll never be happy with it, but by the looks of it that price isn't bad at all, has lots of room and would be great for larger bodies of water, looks clean and well taken care of :wink:

12. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    you said it brother!! shane

13. Northernglitch

State:
    Ohio
    I am now the owner of the boat. Was able to walk away from the deal for 6.5k. Definitely worth it and it will definitely work for fishing. I've already got ideas for how I'm going to rig up holders and such. My brother is the head of a maintenance crew and has access to aluminum :wink:

14. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Sweet deal!!

In my opinion, you stole that boat.

15. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    That seems like a great price to me but I'm not doing the shopping. I could see wanting a 4stroke but $$$.

16. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Reading the specs on the boat, I thought it was a great deal! Considering the motor has a hundred hours, that doesn't seem to be that much to me. A 2001 is still new, if taken good care off and a 24' is a large rig!! Nice boat in the pics and to see you payed only $6500 for it, I believe you got a great deal Chad!!

Congrats on the new boat and I hope it serves you very well!! I like pontoons too. Looks like plenty of room for fishing.