Is It Worth It To You, Or Not?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Dec 11, 2008.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Is it worth it to you to make this legendary page, and possibly kill the fish? Or would you definetely do whatever it takes to get yourself qualified? This outta make for some good conversation.. Sit back and think about it, and place your honest answer. I wanna know how you feel about it. Please don't place your opinion on what you think everyone else thinks you should do! I will post my honest answer later on..... rollo

http://www.ohiodnr.com/Home/Fishing...dfish_fshohiorcrdfish/tabid/6984/Default.aspx

2. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Thats a tough question to answer, and my honest answer would be I dont know. I would have to be put in the situation in order to actually make up my mind. I always practice catch and release, but on the other hand, i have been fishing for "That Fish" for years. I think if it was just a few pounds over the record, i may not do it for the bluecat, the flathead record has been standing for so long that i would like to beat that one. If i caught a blue that i thought would hold up for a while, i may try to get it registered..Now I do have an 80 gallon livewell, that is designed to keep fish alive for long periods of time so I would try everything in my power to keep it alive..But thats a hard question to answer..Sort of like would you kill a man if you had too, I dont think you can say what you would definantly do until your put in that situation..I know alot of guys would say, i will release it no questions ask, but would they say that with that state or world record laying in the floor of their boat??? Tough one..Good Post Reverend Rollo...LOL

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I've said it before. I would fill my boat halfway up with water to make a giant live tank, then hunt somebody official! :wink::crazy::big_smile::wink:
    BB in SC

4. Still_Waters...

Still_Waters... New Member

State:
    Ohio
    To me it's a definitely loaded question, while I would love to have that title and my name in the books I don't know if I could kill a few fish, fish that need a long time to get to that record size like flatheads or paddle fish for example, but if I catch a bluegill or anything like that.... well, fair game in my book.:wink:

and one question, I thought in order to verify the catch ODNR had to cut open their stomach anyway, anyone know if I heard wrong or....?

5. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I heard that recently also

6. Joey6500

Joey6500 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    When fish get stressed out they poop and burp up stuff so unless there was a Official sittin next to me I don't think I would.It would suck if you kept this fish alive til morning just to find out on verified scales that it weighs 7 lbs less than the previous night:cool2:

7. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    well i have a 110 gal live well so i can possible do it with out danger and have a place on the water that has cert scales. so iam lucky , but i wouldnt kill a fish for the sake of killing it .all in all it would be a real hard desision.

8. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    That is one tough question. I'd like to think that I would take pictures of it and let it go. If i were close to a certified scale and thought that I could get it there and back in the water safely I might consider it. I would like for another good brother to have the chance to catch that same fish.

9. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    I can answer that. The game warden said the official weight has to come from an official scale which the warden said they arent supplied with and It has to be examined by a fishery biologist. That is why my answer is NO. If there was a quick n simple way and the fish could be returned to the water in a short period of time, heck yeah I would, but for some VERY ODD reason the wardens arent supplied with official scales and they have to be examined by a biologist to be sure that the fish came from the actuall water you said it came from. Just so folks don't catch a fish from a paylake and transport it to the river or something. I wouldnt put it past some folks to do that either. Im not sure of the record in the ohio for a shovelhead but there is a paylake here local that has a 103lb shovelhead in it. It has been caught by 4 different people sense it has been stocked in hichory grove paylake. Not sure what the current river record is in ohio but could you imagine someone taking that fish out, transporting it to the river and saying that they caught it out of the river. Don't know bout you but that would pizz me off, how bout you. So, with that being said, I do understand why they want a fishery biologist to examine it but doggon cant they have one on call for certain sections of the river that could just meet at the water??? That would be nice. The latest bluecat record from what i understand was weighed at the post office the day after it was caught! Im guessing that it died and that stinks. If there was a quick n easy way I would have my name in the books but My answer is deffinetley no as of right now. If the states get something together someday where the fish can be released unharmed my mind will change. Im gonna Give you folks an example on something. The current blue record to my knowlege to date was caught around meldahl dam not to long ago and I am almost positive that it was in the mid 50s range on weight. That paylake I speak of has blues in it that were transported out of alabama and some are pushing 80lbs. I know because there are some paylakers with there pics in the local bait shops with 72 75 78lb blues in it. I am not trying to put paylakers on the spot but the few young guys that I know from around here would KILL to sneak one out and take it to the rivers edge to SAY that they caught it out of the big ohio. That record may take a long time to break in our area if atall in the coming years. now THAT would pizz me off. How bout you guys? So i do understand the biologist thing.

10. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Now thats what Im talkin about BROTHER. I feel the same way. every time I get a good one I always hope that someone will catch her again and hope they will let her go for the next BROTHER.

11. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Here is the email reply I received from Tom Cross, the chairman of the record fish board.

If the fish is weighed on certified scales AND an ODNR fisheries
    biologist can examine the fish, we may wave that rule, but it depends on the
    circumstance.
    We have to be careful that fish from pay lakes, Kentucky rivers or
    lakes, taken by any method other then a rod & reel, or fish caught outside
    the states east or west borders are not submitted.
    It's been tried before, so in order to ensure the utmost credibility in
    the state fish records we enacted a stringent set of guidelines.
    The reason we require that the fish be kept frozen, intact, is we
    reserve the right to re-examine the fish should some question arise before
    it is certified by the Record Fish Committee. If you can somehow manage to
    keep the fish alive during the process, you are free to release it after we
    certify it.

Now to the question at hand. I practice cpr just as much as the next guy. But if I were to catch a state record you would be reading my name on the list. Of course I will take every measure to keep the fish alive and hope the state don't go whacking it up into pieces.

12. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Buddy your an honest man

13. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    I have caught catfish in allmost in every way possible in the last 30 plus years . from noodeling,sainging, traps, trottlines,limblines,jugs, gigging, and rod and reel . never did shocking or dynamite tho .

all my fishing in the last 5 years or so has been rod and reel . lost interest in all the others . mostly because of time it took to round up bait and chance of getting caught in the illegal ones in my state .

I have never had a problem with killing and cleaning fish and never will period !!!!!! that being said im trying to do better in releasing the bigger fish . and get more into the cpr thing. am i perfect at this to others standers NO !!!!

have i caught and killed a state record flathead yes i have it wieghed 84 lbs on bathroom scales and 82 lbs on a set of farmers scales when i got home and over 30 hours later waiting on conservation dept to show up and find certified scales wieghed 77 lbs 8 ounces , missouri state rod and reel record .

did it make me feel like a hero or somthing not really , was neat for all my family and friends to share it with tho .

bass pro shop in springfield made me a free replica of it , and they made 1 for themselves thats in the store .

caught 2 other big ones i can rember in the 60 lb range one i gave to the guy that help me land it i think he was more excitted then me , the other i did release . a 61 and a 67 was what they wieghed from what i rember.

IM a redneck country boy at heart and allways will be period !!!!!!!
    I feel cpr is a great thing and im sure i will improve on this every year !!!

some trips i had this year i didnt even keep any fish and released alot close to a thousand i would guese from 8 to 50 lbs . I get to fish alot so between myself and my dad we catch around 3000 plus fish a year , last weak we caught around 17 to 30 fish a day in 4 days . we kept some and released some !!!

would i kill another fish if i thought it was a state record ???? i wont know for sure until and if a big IF it ever happens for me again .

for me the bottom line is i dont care what others think and never will when it comes to this question its for me and only me to do as I please .

i keep some and release some all year .

this is a good question rollo !!!!! be neat seeing what others would do .

14. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    let me just put it this way ...if the biggest buck ever, and im talkin world record here, or heck even state record came underneath my tree stand its dead..cause i know im gona die tryin why shouldnt it, thats why we will alwas have records to break ...if you dont do it some body eles WILL ....so if your out in the boat with me and I catch a 160 lb blue cat..back off dude :wink:

15. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Good question Jason, I think for me who hasnt caught anything of size ever... I would like to say that a pic of me with it would do me just fine. I know that if I were to go public with it then I would have to attempt to be a great fisherman which I am not (at least not amounts or sizes) I like to fish and I try to catch bigguns but most of the time I am in the wrong area or due to being shore bound with both of my boys that I do not want to get hurt by crawling down a hill or something I have to go to pretty over fished places.

So my answer would be a picture would be fine with me (and a pic of a scale would satisfy me)

16. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo

i went to edit this but time ran out i wanted to add somthing and here it is .

I can honestly say i would do everything i could to keep the fish alive until conservation dept was able to certified it , get some good pictures and release the fish as soon as possible and hope it swam away !!!!! instead of dragging it home like i did last time .

17. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Man honestly, I can say that if I had "that" fish in the boat, got on the horn and weighed my options, and the end result for the fish would be death. I would have to let her go....Saturday for example, me and prostreet boated a small 15lber, no big deal. Brought her in the boat, didnt need to be burped, belly was as soft as a pillow. Took a pic and placed her back in the water, she went belly up...We couldnt figure it out, we actually pulled up the anchor, and went after this fish, brought her back in the boat, and made sure she didnt need burped...Placed her back and she went belly up again, we watched this dying fish drift down river, and man it ate me up inside...Being a big baby over a fish. Then to think of a fish that you spend many minutes or even an hour fighting, the fish of a lifetime. Holding that beast up for a pic and its looking you dead in the eye. I wouldnt be able to turn that fish over to anyone knowing it was gonna be killed, for any reason what so ever. So my god's honest anwer is this.....If I know that fish will die to be certified, it is going right back in the water.....period.:cool2:

18. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Back off dude.....Paul you crack me up bud!:smile2::smile2:

19. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    it is what it is bro..i been in the outdoors all my life...live and let die i say..its time to harvest the crop....period.....:wink::smile2::smile2:

20. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    I can't bring myself to kill almost any animal. Only animals with thumbs that walk upright have anything to fear from me. I CPR everything I catch and would do the same for a record cat IF i had no way to ensure it's survival through registration.

Luckily, I suck at fishing and will never be put in that situation.:embarassed::tounge_out::smile2: