is it worth fixing

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Jeremy Sheffey, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Hey guys, im new to the boat and boat repair world. i had a guy offer to give me a mid 90's model Nissan 90 horse outboard motor. it has a blown head for sure. how much do you all think it is worth and would the repairs cost to much to fix it versus just buying a working engine.

2. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio

Just depends. I'm not sure on parts and labor or time if you do the labor yourself. If you look around, you can find some deals as im sure the head isn't cheap. I bought my fully working, turn key 90 for around 700 bucks (a steal i know) and my friend picked up a 150 for less than 1200 I think. I saw the other day a 96 200 HP Johnson for 1500. So, its a matter of being in the right place right time. I would ask BubbaKat or someone knowledgeable about how much a head would run, and what all is involved. Also, make sure the motor only has that wrong with it, or seems to only have that wrong with it. Makes it hard to diagnose a motor if you can't check spark and compression.....because if you have those 2 things you have a good motor, just have to worry about fuel. Like I said, I know very little about outboards, just wanted to give you a little feedback from my experience this past summer.

3. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    Price out the parts first. If you get the motor for free and can do the work it might be a good way to kill time until spring.We live in a throw away world, sometimes it's good to bring something back to life.

4. Smokin

Smokin New Member

State:
    Ca
    is it a blown head or head gasket? It is a 2 stroke right? I dont know of any way you can blow a head on a 2 stroke unless you crack it by over heating it (then I wouldnt want the engine anyways) or by warping it again by over heating it. A bit more info would be nice. If it is just a head gasket they are not to much money and can be done by anyone with a bit of commen sense and knows how to use a torque wrench to make sure you get the proper torque on the bolts.

5. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    to be honest i dont have a lot more info at the current time, it was a rather quick convo with the guy lastnight... i guess i need to call him and find out some more information. if the head is what is cracked then i guess i need to pass on it then right??

6. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    From what it sounds from the above gentleman's post if the head is what is cracked then it is likely a sign of more problems with the motor due to overheating. If it was running hot enough to crack the head, then it may have been running hot enough to cause other internal problems as well. I would call and clarify when you get the chance. Like someone said if it is something simple then you will have a great bargain, and fix it relatively easy, but if its not then you'd be better of bargain hunting for awhile elsewhere. Good Luck :big_smile:

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If its a give away the go get it and tear it down and see what is wrong. Worst case is you gave a little labor away and you learned something about motors. I would make sure it all there before I hauled it home. You dont need one with parts missing unless it a donor motor for one you already have.:wink:

8. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Give the dude 100 bucks or so for it and look at what it will cost to put it back in working order, if ya find out it cost to much to fix it after you take it apart ya could sell all the good pieces on e-bay or Craigslist maybe even at a profit:big_smile: lower units, props and engine covers etc. can bring good money:wink: