Is it true...

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by lilrivercatman, May 27, 2007.

1. lilrivercatman

lilrivercatman New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Is it true that its not good for your reel if you put super braid on a...lets say Zebco 404 or a Rhino reel like that(Dont know what you call those kinds of reels..)? I remeber someone told me not too but I dont see why not...Please explain

2. Davidsed505

Davidsed505 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    not sure what they're called either, spincast or some such, same principal. I think they recommend against the braid line in those reels because of how the line is wound on the spool. A superbraid, or a heavy mono, can cut grooves in the housing, which can nick line, especially on casting. When I was younger, I had a 202 and I can't remember the weight line I was using, but i got snagged, pulled harder than I shoulda, and after that, casting was a weiner. Opened it up and it had a notch/groove in the housing that the line would catch on every pass off the spool.

3. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    They're called "Spincasters" and I wouldn't reccomend a braided line on such a reel....A good 6# test braid has the breaking strength of around 22#'s....So, if you got a big fish w/braided line, it would probably put a lot of strain on the reel.....It might also interest you to know that the most abrasive mono during a test of several bigname brands, was Stren Original......But to answer your question, it wouldn't hurt as long as the fish you caught didn't tear your reel up as a result of the braided line....Dwight

4. KingCatBrad

KingCatBrad New Member

State:
    Duncan, Oklaho
    I Have Tried To Put Some 25lb Power Pro On My Lil Push Button Crappie Reel And The Way That It Puts The Line On The Reel, It Will Only Let You Through It Out Maby Once Or Twice. Then It Gets All Jacked Up Inside. For Those Kind Of Reels Stay Far Away From Braided Lines!!!!!!!

5. JamisonM

JamisonM New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I don't have any experience in trying to do so, but the last spincast reel I opened up (my zebco 606) had a little plastic piece attached to the bail that would spin and wrap line around the spool. I don't know if all spincast reels are similar in method and material, but I'm willing to bet that over time that little plastic piece would be cut off by the braid. If not cut off directly by taking line onto the spool it would most likely fail from the pressure of a fish after being cut through a bit.

6. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    are you refering to those old push button reels we used to use as a kid? if so I hate those reels. Id bunch up and youd have to take the cover off to get at the line to untangle it.

7. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I use little zebco 33's for bream and stuff and even the mono that comes on the reels will cut a groove in the bail where it rides all the time. About every two years I replace the reels on mine. There fairly cheap so I dont mind doing this especially with the amount of fish I catch with them. By two years they have more than paid for themselves. Plus I have plenty of spare parts in case something else breaks.

8. JamisonM

JamisonM New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yep, those are the reels. I never really had any problems with them birdnesting on me as I did trying to get the damn plastic top back on. That thing was so easy to cross thread and it took me at least five minutes to get it back on. I still have that problem with them.