is it true?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by carolinakid76, Oct 19, 2009.

1. carolinakid76

carolinakid76 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    when you find the bait you find the catfish?:big_smile:

2. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    if your fishing for eaters then there is a little truth to that, for the big ones...that bait has to be in the right place When I caught this avatar pic, I got bait in a cove that was covered up with bait fish, but I caught the fish couple hundred yards away with little bait around.

3. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Yeah,I believe it,s true.Big cats aint just swimming around the river willy nilly.They pick the spots where they live for a reason,Abundance of food NEARBY,places to ambush prey from,places to get out of the current and rest.Whenever i,m onto some good cattin at a particular hole,I spend a lot of time trying to figure out WHY they,re there at that particular time.Except for spawning time or wintering holes,the fish they,re feeding on at the moment usually play a big part in the equation.

4. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    Amen to that my friend.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Not all the time, I hve fished near and under huge schools of shad and got skunked many times

6. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It all depends on what kind if bait fish your talking about. The creek chubs I get are in a small run where there are no catfish, so that doesn't work. One place I fish, bluegill made some tree roots their home, at night it becomes a Flathead cafeteria. Shad may school up in open water and be hard to locate, but during their spawn they may take up a whole bay and I guarantee the cats will be there. The answer to your question: Yes and no.......:big_smile:

7. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i agree with jack,and also i have fished where i saw no bait fish and caught good fish.but bait fish is a good place to start,if they're in the right place(for flatheads)i dont know about blues never fished strictly for blues.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  8. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I think structure is the biggest thing a catfish looks for.. whether it be timber, sunken cedars, undercut banks that quicky become deep etc..:wink:

9. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Same as when you find KFC you find people!:wink::cool2:

10. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I can only offer my opinion as a river bank fisherman. I know the only places I like to fish is where I can also catch shad or skipjack for fresh bait. I think if you bank fish spots with no bait activity, you are wasting your time. I believe big blues are always on the move looking for food. Good luck.

11. festus

festus New Member

Yep, me too, I'm strictly a bank fisherman, but have owned boats in the past. I like fishing below dams, around steam plants, under bridges, and around culverts with current. Seems like there's always baitfish around these spots, and not necessarily always structure or cover. Culvert fishing is really fun, I have several of those spots, and it's possible to fish both sides of the road. Usually I can park and my vehicle will be within 100 feet away, and I can switch sides of the road very easily. The current will change direction several times a day, and I have even drug fish out from under the road out of the culvert when I just let my bait drift in there under a floater.

12. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    You may not see the bait but big fish have to eat. If they are feeding then they are around bait. Just because you dont catch fish doesnt mean they aren't there. They dont eat all the time. Have to move to find active fish. But if there is catfish feeding then there is bait. So take it however you want. I don't look for shad on the top. I look for shad schools around the creek channels and drift. If they are hungry they will eat. If not they wont.

13. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    interesting topic here! It makes sense for fish to sty close to their food source.

14. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Most of the time this is true ! :wink:

15. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I beleive it to be more so true when targeting blue cats in the winter time. When fishing resovoirs in cold water the shad will ball up and usually be concetrated around the river channel. If you see birds feeding off the surface it means one thing........stripers feeding and pushing the bait up the water column......and you can almost bet there's a blue or two waiting beneath for table scraps......

16. holliswood

holliswood Well-Known Member

State:
    King, NC
    Let mother nature lead the way.