is it true that using lead weights can polute the fish and end up killing them?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Rajun_Cajun, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    well personally i think the whole lead killing and ppoluting animals is bogus because it is natural and made with natural stuff. but i wont stop using lead becuase graphite is so much lighter. but personally i dont think a 2 ounce weight has much effect on the ecosystem.

2. Dnedster

Dnedster New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Well let's start from duckhunting the ducks were dying from the lead shot. that's cuz they eat it off the bottom. Now do cats eat your once to four sinker NO it's all the other crap put in the river

3. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    thats exactly what i said to my grandpa

4. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    If lead weights kill fish, than the spot I fish just below the Lake Lewisville dam there wouldnt be no fish i bet ive lost bout 20 pounds of lead there.

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I really dont see it hapening unless they are eating it. i dont see it breakng down in water its metal:confused: minute amounts might wash off but that would be parts per billion or something like that. Leads just another thing that got bad rep and certen people wont be happy till its gone. Lead is a verry useful metal that handled properly is safe. I agree with them taking out of fuel (gets in the air) paint (gets in dumb kids teeth lol) and pipes (gets a little in water I guess), but on a tire or the end of my r&r whats that gonna hurt, unless you are sitting across the water from me:p .

6. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Ditto-waterfowl were ingesting lead shot while eating gravel for their gizzards to work properly.
    I bet California will be the first to ban it :)

7. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    i kinda wonder if lead is as bad as they say. i had a neighbor when i was a kid. she died at 92. her kids and husband were all long lived. when she died her family had the old house torn down the lady had been born in the house and lived there all her life. all of the water pipes were lead. we used a lot of it to make our sinkers.
    now she did have one son die of lead poison. he died suddenly when his wife shot him in the gut with a 12 guage.

8. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Cook said it right.
    Waterfowl ingest large quantities of lead when they forage for gravel. Fish will not ingest lead in the same way.
    Lead poisoning is a fact. Exposure to lead in large quantities will kill you. As with most substances the more we learn about it the more we realize we mis-used it in the early days. Lead has now gone from plumbing (mostly) household paint, car body repair, shotgun shells (some), gasoline and it will be gone from fishing eventually on the basis that leaving lead in the rivers and lakes, even in large chunks, is not environmentally responsible.
    I think the reason some folks suffered problems from lead plumbing and some didn't back in the day was that in hard water areas there would be a build up of scale inside the pipes which would slow down or prevent the lead from leaching into the water. In soft water areas this wouldn't happen so much
    There will always be uses for lead but procuring it will become more difficult as the powers that be eventually get around to passing more laws to protect us from ourselves...W

9. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    California is currently neck deep in a study that very well could restrict the sale of lead sinkers. They are not alone...and they would NOT be the first ones to enact such legislation.

Four US states...New Hampshire, New York, Vermont, and Maine...along with Canada, and the UK have beat them to the punch.

In NH...a ban takes effect in 2006 that bans the use of all lead weights of less than 1 oz.

In NY, Ver, and Me...lead weights of 1/2 oz or less are banned.

In the US...most of the bans affect the SALE of lead weights...not the use of existing ones. NH's ban is the most resitrictive. Homeade lead weights are not prohibited.

The current list of alternatives to lead weights are as follows...copper, brass, bismuth, steel, tungsten, ceramic, and DENSIFIED PLASTIC.

The experts are saying that the problem does not lie so much with fish die offs...but rather waterfowl ingesting sinkers...which according to them has a profound effect upon other areas of the food chain. Such as...raptors, other birds of prey, predators, and scavengers that eat the waterfowl that are killed via lead poisoning from ingesting lead their prey had in their gizzard.

It's difficult to put a number on exactly how many ducks and other waterfowl die annually from lead poisoning due to the fact that lead poisoning is a degenerative disease. A duck won't just drop from the sky when it gets LP. The muscles that enable it to fly are disabled first...causing the ill duck to seperate from the flock and seek out dense cover along the shorelines of waterways.

This has a dual effect. One being that most of the lame ducks (pun intended...lol) are predated by mink, foxes, coyotes, raccoons, and the likes.

The second being that a duck is just plain hard to see in tall grass...as any duck hunter can attest to.

From the looks of it fellas...enjoy being able to buy lead weights while you can...because it appears to be on the way out....just like when lead shot was banned from being used on federal and some state public lands for any species of game animal...as well as zero usage all together for waterfowl in the US and Canada in 1991. It's a matter of time.

10. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    I read a story from a mag. a few years ago about lead.
    "If you removed all the lead from a lake or river and replaced it with the same amount of any other metal, there would be a fish kill." As long as it's laying still, there isn't any harm. It's the handling and breathing of the fumes that gets you.

11. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    That is a unique way of looking at it and I pretty much agree that the same amounts of other natural metals would be deadly!

Metallic lead is resistant to corrosion (i.e., not easily attacked by air or water). When exposed to air or water, thin films of lead compounds are formed that protect the metal from further attack!

Some lead compounds are changed into other forms of lead by sunlight, air, and water. However, elemental lead cannot be broken down.

The levels of lead may build up in plants and animals from areas where air, water, or soil are contaminated with lead. If animals eat contaminated plants or animals, most of the lead that they eat will pass through their bodies.
    If you followed this thread this far, pay a visit to this site! It is very informative and will give you the stright dope on lead!
    Source; http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxprofiles/phs13.html
    I dont think lead sinkers are a big problem, but in time changing small habits can be part of a bigger solution! "Leave nothing but foot prints!"