is it to cold to fish for flathead catfish at night

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Montgomery, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    do you guys think its to cold to fish at night now. i'm wantint to go tonight . but man it sure is cold. i have never fished for latts t his time of year. i got some big gills and an itch i cant seem to scratch. so what do you guys think ??? or should i wait until mornight or somthing like that ??? any help guys

2. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    As long the water temp is above 50 degrees you should be good.

Good luck if u go

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    go get em.... I usually fish all the month of november, and even into mid dec. some years.. Water temps. are certainly cool, but the flats aren't even close to being done. Im trying to make plans for next weekend already. I remember one night a few years back that dropped into the mid to low 30's, and we still caught close to 90 pounds of flats. I would downsize your baits though and use chubs, suckers, that are smaller and more slender. That seems to be a better bait for me in the falltime... goodluck to you Mike, and go get em! rollo

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The water temps here in Western Kentucky are still in the 70's . Its just now fixin to get really good here! Still got another month or so of good Flathead fishing. The air temperature is not nearly as critical as water temperature. Just dress warm and go get'em.:big_smile:

5. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    thanks guys and rollo. i already got my overalls on.lol i'm going now. but this one rare time . i got great big bait .big gills. you recomended smaller bait. kinda wich i had some now. i usually want big . and struggled with big all year. now i need smaller and got big .lol oh well got to go i'm sweating my butt off all layered up .

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    The colder weather should help you pinpoint them even better as they will be moving to the deepest holes. Good luck

7. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Good luck fishing bro! Give us a report on how ya did!

8. Djtrikee

Djtrikee New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I wonder if everyone says that smaller bait would work better, I wonder if anyone has had success with using worms?

9. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    The Flatheads are defenatly done. I wouldn't even try for them.:big_smile:

10. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    you'll end up with hypothermia, stay home where it's warm.:wink:

11. tcba1987

tcba1987 New Member

State:
    Dennison, Ohio
    ive caught flatties as late as Thanksgiving...........i like to use creek chubs this time of year or small rockbass............ive caught more fish shallow this time of year (4-6 ft of water) then i have in the deeper holes !!!