Is it safe to eat?

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by Big B, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Hello to all. I am new to the BOC and fairly new to catfishing. I need to know if I have made a mistake or it I'm ok. Here is the story. I was on the lake all weekend and caught a few nice cats. I left them on a stringer for up to 2 days. They were still alive when I headed home. A bit scuffed up but definitely alive. They died in the cooler when i put city water in it and were filleted shortly after. I filleted a 12lb 6oz blue and when I removed the guts the lining of the guts on the belly (the silver stuff) was yellow and smelled like stomach acid :crazy:but the stomach and the gall bladder were not punctured. However the meat has the same smell. I thought that it was just the guts stinking so I put all of the fillets in a big bowl as I filleted them. Then I washed each fillet individually and put them in freezer bags with some water in it, also separate bags for each large fillet and more for the smaller fillets. Is the meat ok? Or have I just screwed the pooch on about 20 lbs of meat and need to throw it away? I have not eaten any of it yet. Any information it greatly appreciated.

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I am sure it will be just fine!!! I have seen it before as well, never hurt me!!!

3. HappyDudeSr

HappyDudeSr New Member

State:
    Texas
    I too have seen this and haven't been hurt by eating the fillets. You made sure that you washed them thoroughly, and that is basically all you can/need to do.

4. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    I gave a bag of these fillets (1 fish)to a guy that I work with. He said that about 5 minutes after he ate it, it came back up.:embarassed:

5. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    I usually put mine on ice or stick them in the fridge until I'm ready to clean them?
    If they were on a stringer a couple days and still alive when you decided to clean them, I would think they would be OK?

If they were on the stringer a couple days and dead before you cleaned them, I don't know if I would eat them?

It all depends on how long they were dead and when you cleaned them?
    If you had them in the fridge or on ice a couple days after they were dead, I would think they were OK to eat?

Ken

6. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I would think they would be ok. I just make sure that you wash them real good and make sure you cook them all the way through.

7. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Make sure you give the rest of the fillets to him!

8. muleherder

muleherder New Member

State:
    Texas
    Just look at the gills as you're cleaning them.
    Still red? They're OK.
    Gills are dull gray? Sorry they're dead too long and spoiled. The meat may be soft and mushy by this time, so I'd toss em.

Thats the criteria I always use.

9. GUNTZ

GUNTZ New Member

State:
    CLEBURNE texas
    Brian -I do not know about the fish sounds scary. But welcome to the B.O.C it is good to see another Texas boy here.

10. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    Brian; pitch them to the cat, there are more fish in the sea. Not worth making someone sick. Put fish on ice when you catch them. Preserve the quality of your catch, Ice is cheap. Good fishing
    Joseph

11. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    another thing you can do is fillet them when you catch them, rinse the fillets, and throw them in a ziploc bag in the cooler. i always do this during warm weather, and never had a problem. it's easier to transport fish as fillets than whole flopping fish, getting bruised and dirty and all...
    welcome to the the boc!

12. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    The other day at work I was talking to the guy I gave the fillets to. He is Mexican so he doesn't speak a lot of english. He works for the same company just a different shop. That punk asked me for more fillets and told me that it didn't really make him sick. I didn't think there was anything wrong with those fillets. Since he is a welder and stands in one place for a good length of time. I think that I'm going to glue his shoes to the floor. Or tack weld his toolbox shut. lol. Thanks to you all for replying to this thread.