Is it rare ?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by mudkat, Oct 11, 2006.

1. mudkat

mudkat New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    is it rare for a channel cat to eat live bait(as in like bigger baits like bluegill and chubbs,etc.)?????

2. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Channel cats will eat any bait they can find. Minnow, Small fish or dead they just like to eat.
    Pete

3. new to fishing

new to fishing New Member

State:
    north carolina
    what is the bait you would recamend for catching them thou

4. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I recomend shad. But my biggest channel ever was caught on a live bluegill. Overall though we catch most of ours on shad. Crawlers and Shrimp both work well too. and if you are not fishing current livers, stinkbait, etc can be good. also-but try smaller shad.

5. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    i always use small cut shad thats what works the best for me

6. hawkman

hawkman Member

State:
    Hiawatha,Ks
    chubs or green sunfish work the best for me

7. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    If it's alive........or ever been alive......a channel cat will eat it, if it can get it into it's mouth. I catch most of mine on shad, both alive and cut because that's what I use the most for all my catfishing. But I've caught em on just about any kind of bait you could think of. They are not what you would call "Picky" about there supper.

8. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    max you forgot soft taco's from taco bell , let them get cold roll them up tight and cut into 3rds put a 3rd to a hook and pitch close to where you want to fish

fish eat fish but this realy works trust me

9. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas

I think Jack has it covered!

st

10. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I have gotten my biggest channel cat on cut bluegill.
    ~ I have gotten more channels with stink or raw shrimp.

11. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Fished this small river several times with worms, and liver and caught all drum and small .5# channels. Small fish would pester me continuously. Started using live perch, and within just a few minutes, I caught 2 10# channels. Probably all the channels over 8# that I've caught were caught on live perch. Now the only time I fish with worms is to catch bait.

12. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    i prefer cut shad.or the head of a small fish (bluegill/panfish).i did catch my biggest channel cat ever on a nightcrawler.it was 19 lbs.

13. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    the bigger channels on cut shad if your looking for a bunch of smaller eaters i would use livers or shrimp

14. 1 cattin dude

1 cattin dude New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    I've always had good luck with Sonny's stink bait. It's available at Catfish Connection. I'm not sure how well it works in cooler weather though. I've mostly used it in the hot summer months.

15. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Try some Danny King's punch bait...they will absolutely go nut's:tounge_out: You will catch some good one's too. My personal best is 15.7lbs and i landed a 9lb70z last week on the bait..It will put fish in the boat quick.:big_smile:

16. ripley311

ripley311 New Member

State:
    COLORADO
    Be careful what live bait you use. Check state and local regulations first. It is illegal to use sunfish for bait in some states but not in others.

17. valentine

valentine New Member

State:
    Colorado
    I am stuck with a toss up. My two best baits have been sonny's or medium sized live minnows. It would go in waves. I would soak some sonny's while fishing for crappie and out of nowhere. Bam! Catfish on a crappie pole. Talk about a blast though. The pole all bent and boucing around. I lost a good one by getting too excited to pull it up out of the water and straightened my little hook.

Ripley is right about the live sunfish. Some states it is legal as long as you catch them in the water you are fishing them as bait in.

18. Cornhusker

Cornhusker New Member

State:
    Lancaster, Ohio
    I find channel cats to be very unpredictable in what they want to eat at any given time. I have had them change their mind 3 times in one night so I try to always take several different baits when I go.

I have also found that what works in one lake or pond may not work at all in some other pond.

It is good to keep an eye on other catfishermen and see who is catching. Just stroll over, strike up a conversation and ask what bait they use. Unlike other fishermen, catfishermen are generally a friendly talkative bunch. Shoot, I've had them offer me some of their bait to try out.

Different fishermen just prefer different baits. Seems that the bait you like will catch more fish than others. It must be the way you fish it or the fact you always have it on at least one pole. I know my son and I disagree on what is the best bait. We both use something different and both catch fish. When we go out we don't fish exactly the same water, he is in the front of the boat and I am in the back. LOL

Just keep trying new baits until you find a few you like and you will be set.

19. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I have found, on the lakes I fish, the big Channel catfish seem to prefer either live or fresh cut bait. The prepared baits will catch fish but most will be under 5 lbs.

20. Cornhusker

Cornhusker New Member

State:
    Lancaster, Ohio
    Well, once again Griz I have to disagree with ya.

Around here channel cat under 5 lbs ARE THE BIG ONES. :embarassed: :lol: