is it possible you have caught a state record and didnt even know it....

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Jeremy Sheffey, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i was reading Jeffro's page about the illusive bullheaded catfish, and it got me to start thinking. personally i know very few if any state record wieghts/length exactly of some of the fish that i target, more or less the ones i dont. in actuality i would bet that there is a number of us out there that may have actually caught a fish that would qualify for a state record but released it. i was talking to a friend of mine the other day and we were discussing the largest walleye i ever caught. it was on a slugo while muskie fishing. it was around 37 inches long. he said that he believed the state record was 35. i had no idea at the time WV even did records of length as well as weight. it is possible i myself had tied or broke the WV record (if my friend was correct on the length) and released it, because i had no idea of the catch i had. im curious as to how many people may have done the same thing. for example if you caught a 5lb bullhead catfish, would it be your state record, or do you know? how big is your state record blue gill? if while fishing for bait you catch a big one, would you know to check it in and claim your fame? i am not saying in anyway that i have caught and released a state record, but i am curious as to how often it may happen. personally i know what a big fish is, but i dont know what the record book says on hardly any. what about you? what do you think?

2. Fl.catman

Fl.catman New Member

State:
    Fl
    LOL Funny you brough this up. I just posted a little earlier in another thread about catching a White cat that went 19# on the scale we had. Then found out the next day that the record was 18.14 oz. Not sure if it would have made it or not because not sure how ac theos scales were.

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Never caught a state record, I am still trying to move up to the 5lb record! :smile2:

4. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    thats exactly my point, personally i CPR almost everything. so i get them back into the water as quickly as possible. so once i get what i need from it, in the drink it goes. even if you are someone that keeps everything, if you clean the fish and eat it the proof is gone with the meat. so there is no way to prove or account for a fish i caught after i go home and look up the record. obviously if i thought it was a huge fish and a possible record i would do the necessary steps to claim it. but who takes the time to memorize records. there are records for things like shad and skip jack. do you know what your state record is for a bait fish. probably not right off hand. so while fishing for bait you may have set a record and didn't know it. It is funny to think that even with our knowledge of fishing, we may not know how big, big really is. i know in KY some of the records are fairly small compared to other states depending on the fish. makes me wonder if it is possible that records are just released more often, because people know what a big fish is from other places. lots of ways to look at why people would never know they caught a record. would you know with out looking what the state record is on any fish you catch, i wouldn't and i would bet there are very few people that actually do.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    This has probably happened to some people in some areas. No such luck in my case.

6. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    when i was 19 or 20 i caught a shoal bass,on a live bream,while catfishing.at the time all bass were largemouth to me.i weighed the bass just out of curiosity at a nearby feed store,i took some pictures,then told my dad to eat it cause i catch'm bigger out of farm ponds.it was 8 lbs. 2 oz. no biggy to me,til' i showed the picture to the local game warden,about 6 months later and he told me what it was.it would've been a record then don't know about now,don't keep up with bass anymore.:sad2:

7. Fl.catman

Fl.catman New Member

State:
    Fl
    I really have NO idea about what most of my state records are. But even if I had known at the time I would have still released it. Because the fish was in to good of shape to let die to get my name put on a record. I only keep a large fish like that if it's in bad shape and will most likely die anyway or if I know a family that needs meat to feed their kids. Other then that I only keep the smaller ones under 8-10#. I'm sure this happens more often then most would think. To me I don't need proof of a catch too show other ppl what I landed because I feel it's a sport not a comp between me and others. Now I may start thinking different if the state offers a new truck & boat for breaking a record. LOL

8. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I keep a paper in my van with all our state record fish on it,Never needed it yet though!:sad2:.Keep my scale in the van all year too.Seems like every other guy I run into at the river got a story about a state record he threw back.I don,t put much credibility to those stories,I wanna see it weighed and photographed!:roll_eyes:.

9. Fl.catman

Fl.catman New Member

State:
    Fl
    Pat many folk's are that way about wanting to see proof and I can understand that if your into trophy hunting. I myself am not looking to prove anything to others or hunting record breakers. I rearly put a fish on scales and hardly ever take pic's of anything other then my flowers. I hate taking pic's and only do it because I have to as part of my farm opp for plant sales. I do know lots of fishermen lie ALL the time and say they ALWAY catch world record fish. I don't put much into what most of them say either but really couldn't care less if they lie to their selfs or their buddies. I don't take camras,cell phones or computers to the river like a lot of folk's do because I'm there to fish. My cell phone stays in the truck but never goes on the boat or to the water. Fishing to me is not about proving myself to others it's about the sport & the fun of catching fish.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  10. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    great thread brotha! i may ahve caugth a worthy bullhead and have had some nice crappie and bills too...but ym biggest bass on r &r was around 8 1/2 or so and i havent caught any GIANT cats

11. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I honestly believe I have caught the state record yellow belly a few times and might catch it a few more . I know I caught the long nose gar record back in 95 at rend lake . As far as channel , blues or flats , if I get close to the record I will be making the calls .

12. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    its just interesting to me to think about what myself as well as others may have caught and never even known what was in their possession. i have to say i fish for the sport, but i fish like i hunt. if i am going to shoot a trophy buck i want to know if its a record. difference is in cpr fishing you may have released it and never known.

13. Fl.catman

Fl.catman New Member

State:
    Fl
    Guy's I love it when I read post on here and guy's say things like "I lost a 100# flathead just before I got it in the boat or to the bank". Those post make me say Hummm?? How in the heck could someone know it was a 100# without getting it out of the water? LOL

14. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I may have caught the NM state record yellow bullhead years ago,never turned it in ,As I was just 15 at the time,3.5 lbs,Now I know what every state record is for the fish I chase here,By the way,There is NO state record for bullheads here :smile2::smile2::smile2:

15. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    pretty easy to eyeball a cat and know it'll break 100 pounds if you have caught enough big fish to have something to base it on,if you are a rookie then no you arn't going to be doing anything but guessing. I've caught or helped land dozens of flatheads over the 70 lb mark a few over 80lbs so when you see a fish that is twice as big as a 80 lber it's fairly safe to say it'll go 100+ lbs.
    As far as state records go, who needs them? Unless it's a record cat,I wouldn't really care less,don't want my name in print or anything like that,same with the master angler awards,I've caught many fish over the years that would qualify,but I've never sent one in,except for my son last year,for me it holds no interest,I don't need a peice of paper to tell me I caught a nice fish. No disrespect for those out there who go in for that sort of thing,just not my bag baby!

16. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I have on a couple occasions caught what I think may have been state records or have seen friends release what coulda been.

I caught a smallmouth bass a couple years ago on a live shad fishing for flatheads that was as long as my arm and was pretty dang fat too.I released him and after checking the records realized the old record had not been broken as I had thought :embarassed:

Another night I witnessed a gar that went 62 inches and was promptly returned to the water,that thing was big round as a 2 liter bottle.My wife also caught a gar that could easily have been a record but we lost it during landing/untangling it from the line (dang teeth).

17. Fl.catman

Fl.catman New Member

State:
    Fl
    Well I'm no rookie and have landed many,many fish within the same # range. And they come short & fat,long & skinning or skinning with fat heads and so on. No one would know by just looking at them that they all went the same # range without at least picking them up out of the water.

18. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    A friend of mine told me he caught a bowfin the other day that was almost as big around as a volleyball. I told him it would have certainly been a state record and he said he had no idea what the records were. It's a good thing to keep up with.

Funny side story is that several of us that fish a small power plant lake caught quite a few channel cats over the current state record. However, at the time the record was 40lbs. They since found out it was a flathead and negated it...as luck would have it we haven't got a big channel cat since:angry:

19. Jeremy Sheffey

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    That sounds about par for the course Wes...

20. Fl.catman

Fl.catman New Member

State:
    Fl
    I have landed some BIG bowfins in the backwaters of the swamps down here. They are my go to fish if the cats are not hitting but have never put one of them on a scale. I like the fact that I can count on them hitting when nothing else will and know if they are good size I'm in for a good fight.