Is it possible for chicken livers to go bad?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by rebcatman, Aug 22, 2006.

1. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I realize that sounds like a pretty stupid question, when we want baits that "smell". But, I was using some old(I have frozen and defrosted them about six times and they are over a year old. Ya, I know, but I usually buy a bunch of tubs at the same time.) ones the other day, and I did not get a nible on them. When I switched to new chicken livers that still had a red color to 'em I started to get bites.

Has anyone else had this problem?

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I havn't but I usually take my livers that have been out and just hold on to them a while then when I get 4-6 used tubs I run them through the OLD blender add a little flour and corn meal are cat tails are cotton and make a dip bait.

3. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Good suggestion. I would just have to had the blender from the wife....

4. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Ive had em get so stinky I couldnt stand em and they become chum. When using non cured livers I like em as fresh as I can get em.

5. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I have always had better luck with fresh livers:smile2:

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I just don't know. I have never seen or heard of a chicken on a dialysis (sp)machine.

7. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    just a case for fresh over frozen (though in some cases frozen works better then fresh)...

And if you really want to know if CL's go bad... leave a pack out for 3 days in the back of a truck in 80+ degree weather and tell me if you think chicken livers go bad...

8. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    Fresh is best. The last ones I cut them up with scissers ( a good idea I learned on here) and then seared them in the microwave But, a few seconds too long. They were dried and crumbly, not even good chum. From now on I will cut them and bag them. prim

9. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    That was my first thought when I read the question. Does that make us strange?:confused2:

10. canadytoo

canadytoo New Member

State:
    Green Creek, No
    I've always had much better luck with fresh chicken livers.

11. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Thanks for the interesting input. I was reading a fancy hardback book on fishing that suggested aging the livers before fishing with them.

You, by experience, are saying (if I'm reading right): either use fresh livers or cure them!

Great forums produce great ideas. Thanks! :smile2:

12. eggman

eggman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    whoa dude??!! froze and defrosted them rascals SIX TIMES???? That had to be like liver soup! I will maybe freeze the stuff once and even then its effectiveness is severely diminished. Fresh is best and at a buck a pound why not give yourself the best quality bait? Oh and my oh my does it go bad, left a tub in my trunk more than once and couldn't drive my car for a few days, sometimes even leaving a few remnants on a treble hook is enough to stink a car up even from the trunk or leaving the ol liver rag in your five gallon bucket is askin for trouble. Nothing like pickin up your best gal and seein her face when that liver smell crosses her nose.....heh heh

lobbin liver in Missouri

egg