IS IT OKAY TO PULL THE GAS LINE TO THE MOTOR...

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Human Resources 31, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Human Resources 31

Human Resources 31 New Member

State:
    Ottawa, Central Illinois
    DO YOU WANT TO RUN OUT THE GAS IN THE MOTOR EVERY TIME YOU TAKE IT OUT OF THE WATER?

2. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the question Dave because the only time I do that is if my boat won't be on the water for an extended period. Maybe we can both learn something. Stay safe out there.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    NO. It is a popular misconception that unhooking the fuel line will cause the motor to burn all the gas in the carburetor/carburetors. There will still be a sufficient amount of gas remaining to change to lacquer and clog your jets. The best idea would be to add some fuel treatment where the fuel won't become bad in a short amount of time...believe Sea Foam is one of the popular fuel treatment on the board. You may want to remove the drain plug in the bottom of your carb to drain the fuel that way, but the more you mess with the carbs the more apt you are to strip the part of just plain old fashion loosing the part. Another way to solve the problem is to use your boat/motor year round...then you don't have to worry about the fuel. LOL

4. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    During spring and through summer my boat goes out but for some reason like bad weather I run mine at home same through winter:wink:

5. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    For you 2 cycle boat motor owners, have you ever seen what happens to a 2 stroke when it leans out? Every time you run the fuel out like that, you are leaning out the motor. Esentially destroying your motor a little at a time. I dont advise doing it, use a fuel stabilizer religiously and leave the fuel in the bowls. If you are storing for the winter, drain the bowls if you want.

6. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    For winter storage-and I do use sea foam in with my gas I take my boat on the last run put it on the trailer let her run pull the line...go home grease it...handle and turn spindal (dont know the propper term???) and change the lower unit oil so she is ready next yr (.Oh and marine grease not any grease).also hit the tire bearings good on yer trailer ya blow them berrings dion 65 its not good at all:cool2:..then I will buy new pluggs weather it needs it or not ..next yr....fresh gas and roll hard my boat moter is a 82 15 hp johnson and I run the crap out of it ...its been on the water 6 the last 7 days and I aint out now cause uits raining ...when I say run it I mean its ran hard....way over werked fer the lill dude.....she runs as good today as the day I gott it.....I got a used rebuilt motor I have had it 5 yrs Bear what do you know I dont ??? is this yer propper proceedure for winterization???the marania showed me this and thats what they do:confused2: I am a werthey back yard mechanic and do all my own werk so I know my way round somwwhat...ya dont pull that line everytime dont need to but dont leave her sit forever either they need run or they will gum up ...

7. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    Well Kenny, I cant say if what you are doing is wrong, especially if your mechanic at the marina told you to winterize it that way. I just know better than to intentionally lean one out, especially after seeing what happens when it happens accidentally. I dont know, maybe at idle rpm it dont hurt much, but I definately wouldnt do it at much more than idle. When I put mine up for the year I just drop the bowls on mine and let the carbs drain a bit, and button them back up. Always seems to work, I havent ever had any trouble, then again your way is working for you. Maybe Bubba will chime in and set us both straight.

8. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Berry thank you I aint a expert just a back yard mechanic and I appreciate yer input I agree dont do this every time they told me just for winterizing so......and I thought maybe yer pose to do something else so:cool2:

9. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    LOL, I aint no expert either brother, just had some experiences or lessons learned, all for the sake of keepin my own junk runnin. :smile2: Take care Kenny, see ya round the block.

10. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I am tryin to aviod them lessons and hey sometimes it be a bad deal (LOL)I know all bout junk (LOL) ya have a good one(LOL)

11. Human Resources 31

State:
    Ottawa, Central Illinois
    I don't mean to winterize I mean evey time I take it out of the water I was told to pull the fuel line off and let it burn all the gas out? I don't beleive it's right to due that either

12. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    definatly not I just pull it once a yr for winterization ...I wouldt do that I understand what berry is sayin..not good!

13. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey Dave welcome aboard buddy how far are ya from Keokuk Iowa???wanna go fishen:big_smile:

14. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I might add when ya do that to start it cold then pull the line and let it run out I was told this buy the marinia that rebuilt my motor / bought it there.....

15. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I would never pull the line to empty the carb. It will lean one out and gauld the piston. You may get away with it on a single cylinder but you won't for long on a 2 cyl or up.. If a tech told me that to pull the line at the launch ramp every time I would question his ability. If some yahoo at a marina told you that then he was talking to hear his mouth roar.

16. Beckman

Beckman New Member

State:
    O'Fallon MO
    Good reply boyz...I couldn't agree more with all of you. Been there and done that mistake before and ruined my old 40hp Evinrude.

17. bowhunter6925

bowhunter6925 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'm with Bubba. Don't ever run them dry. I worked in automotive parts for several years and have heard everything from customer about what they recommend. SeaFoam is great, but it is not a stabilizer. It will help keep things clean, but you need to also use Stabill (green for 10%ethanol) to help keep the fuel stabilized. SeaFoam will only help keep the water absorption to a minimum and stop the carbon buildup. It will not however stop the fuel from varnishing. This new fuel is awful:angry:. If you pull the plug, not only will you gald the cylinder, you leave a thinner layer of fuel in the bowl of the carb to vaporize and leave the nastiest varnish coating you have ever seen:embarassed:. I run a '58 Johnson and use SeaFoam and Stabill in every tank. She has not let me down in the last 11 years:wink:, and I only get to use it about once or twice a month. JMO. Good luck and happy fishing.

18. Human Resources 31

State:
    Ottawa, Central Illinois
    Well my marine mechanic buddy did a compression test last night on the motor and it read 123 123 on both cylinders so that's good news. Then took apart the carb in about 30 seconds unreal he lost me lol gently blew out this screen and something else. From there as we were putting on the carb he noticed a peice in the bottom of the motor lol that was an important peice that needed to be attached to the carb or throttle anyway back on the water sunday night with my father after I drop my daughter off with the X! Have a Great Weekend! :wink:

19. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I would like to quote from the mercury repair manual, but i cant find it right now...But in escence, is states what others have said.

Do not run the engine with the fuel line removed in order to remove all the fuel in the carbs..The cylinders will not be properely oiled and will rust when stored for a period of time.
    And it goes on to say that ,when doing this you create a dry cylinder and can cause short term damage as well..

It states as others have posted, In a circumstance when the boat is stored for an extended amount of time ,, to drain the carbs by removing the drain screw or screws in the carbs

20. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    not good to run any 2 stroke out of gas/oil, buddy of mine would always run his dirt bike of gas out riding, ended up mess n up his engine real bad, on a bike the engine still turns over after the engine stops running until the clutch is pull or its knocked out of gear:wink: