Is it me?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by kingdawes, Aug 3, 2007.

1. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Is it just me or does the 8' ugly stik catfish rod seem a bit How do you say it. will not stiff enough. I bought one today and put an abu 7000ic3 on it. I like the set up. I can cast pretty dag on far. Seems to me that I have failed to get the full potential out of the reel because of the rod. I am new and maybe I need to get used to it. Other than that I think I'm in love with my new rig. Does anybody think I went wrong or is it all in my head?

2. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Sounds like you're expectations are a little to high....Doesn't matter, if you like the rod, give it a chance....You're probably accustom to fishing with a stiffer rod....But give the UStik a chance.....The reason I don't like the rod you chose, is because it's "white"....I can't stand a white rod...lol....The point I'm tryin to make is sometimes our personal preferences can stand in the way of a good experiance with certain equipment....See how it handles the fish you target....Dwight

3. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    You have a very valid point. I did just get the rod and reel today. I used it for maybe a couple hours. I was actually really impressed with the setup, but like you said I think that maybe my expectations were set a little different than what I got. I am happy with the rig. I also appreciate the post about the rod makers I will be contacting one of them in the next couple of months to have one made. I think my next reel will be a 6500c3 since I already have the big boy. I can't wait to hook a big ole hawg. Thanks again

4. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Good luck on the "hawg"....The 7000iC3 will definately handle it hawg style....Give us a little background info on the type fishing you do and the line you've chosen for the iC3....I have a Blackcat 6500 and love it....I also have a Pflueger Trion 66, but like the blackcat better.....You can't go wrong with the iC3's.....Good luck with the hawgs....Dwight

5. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I put 65# pp pro I am using that as my main line with the bead and weight. Then a swivel. Off of that I am using a 24" 20# mono leader with I circle about a 6/0. I plan tomorrow to go to a little lake where I have been catching some ok channels. Only this time.........yep you guessed it hawg flattie time. Or at least I will find out if the thing is in there at least. It's hard to say. I plan on putting on a blue gill casting deep out there and wait. In the mean time I think I will try my mackeral chum I made out of the boc library. I will try some shrimp cured in garlic for bait. Maybe I'll catch enough channel for dinner. How does that sound. Am I missing anything in my strategy?

6. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Sounds good to me.....I need to try the garlic on the shrimp with the channels....When I tried the "braided" line deal, I put line on my reel that was the same dia. as 17lb test(reccomended @ 325yds)....Also, watch to make sure your line don't start embedding into itself....I went back to mono because I didn't like the "grinding" noise the braid was making in my guides....Other than that, you sound "good to go"....I would jump to a heavier leader if useing bream after flatties.....Dwight

7. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    from what i read you paid a bit for a reel and got what you expected, you paid a little for a rod and got less than expected. you plan on getting a 6500 what rod? to get what im guessing youre looking for id say you would like that 7000 on a med action tiger and the 6500 on the ugly cat those combos are choice.:wink::big_smile::cool2:

8. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    If it turns out that your not satisfied with the rod....When you buy the 6500, buy a rod for the 7000 and put the 6500 on the Ugly Stik.....I put my 6500 on a Ugly Stik Tiger Lite.....I have an Ugly Stik Big Water spinning for my 6500 Shimano baitrunner and my Pflueger 7580 Contender spinning reels....I'm not sure whether I like the Big Water's or not....Like you, the Big Water is a little limber....Dwight