Is It Legal

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Sunbird, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    I recently read the new(2009) DNR manual and am not sure on a few things, maybe you guys can help me out.

Is it legal to catch any game fish and transport it to another body of water to use as bait?

Is it legal to throw a cast net in Monty?

Thanks!

2. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    a warden told me on monty this yr when he checked my license that it was legal to use a net as long as you wasnt catching game fish.

3. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    As far as the transport of other game fish from one lake to another, I was told NO. It reads in the regulations, I'd have to find it again but it's there.

4. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Tommy ( blackwaterkatz) what's your take on this. You may be able to give him the right info.:wink:

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I've never read anything that specifically prohibits catching game fish (legally) in one body of water and them using them someplace else. Please note that I'm not law enforcement, and sometimes the regs can be confusing, even to the ones who enforce them.
    I do know that in many cases, biologists are very much against the possibility of introducing new genes into an area, so I wouldn't recommend releasing any of those baits alive.
    As far as the use of cast nets in Monticello, I can't say. I think that is a utility operated lake, and they may have specific rules against them. I've tried to find something in writing, but couldn't.
    Always check with State Parks, City Reservoirs or County Parks for special limits and regulations.

6. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    I'm going to Monticello this weekend to fish and visit my brother who lives nearby. I do have a friend from high school who is a warden in Fairfield county maybe I'll look him up and ask him a few questions. Thanks for the input guys.

7. Gamecock

Gamecock New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Catching game fish in a cast net is not against the law-keeping game fish you caught in a cast net is. I am not sure of the laws on Monty, but around Columbia it was legal to use game fish as bait if and only if they were caught on hook and line. Also, DNR told us that you have to fish them whole, not as cut bait. I am not sure what the law on the books reads, but that was from a man in green.

Regarding transporting game fish from one body of water to another...I would say that could pose a problem with some people. I have an almost-family member who is a high-up in the DNR fish hatcheries program, I do not see him going for this. Next time I speak with him I will ask, but I already know what he will say. I do now this, it is illegal to fish any body of water in the state using goldfish-live or dead. I would imagine that introducing pickerel to a new body of water would do more damage than a goldfish and surely there is a law that would back that up. Just my two cents.

8. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Jon, I don't know about cast nets on Monty.
    Heres my take on the transporting game fish for bait. You will have no problem with that as long as the game fish meets the size and creel limit for the lake you are fishing. I'm no expert on the law, but they are based on the term " In possession of ". Here's and example of it. Pop Pop catches a striper 7 inches long on lake Greenwood and throws it in a bag on ice for bait. This is legal because there is no size limit on stripers for Greenwood. Now I take it to Santee for bait and get checked by DNR. I'm now in possession of a Striper less than the legal size limit on Santee. I'm gonna get fined because I can't prove it came from Greenwood and was legal. This is the same thing for Bass. If you do catch a legal size limit bass, striper or ect. Just fillet the sides of and cut them into pieces for bait. Leaving the head, skeleton and tail attached. That way it can be measured to prove it is of legal size.:wink:

9. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    i ask a rabbit cop last year about trout for striper fishing and was told it is illegal to transport a fish from one body of water to another, dead or alive, from what i understand you can use gamefish for cutbait as long as it meets the legal limit on that lake but you have to use it on the lake it was caught and catch it legally(not in a cast net). with that being said ive got conflicting answers from different wardens about the same question. ive got a friend thats waiting to go to court about a ticket for hog hunting he had the regs book with him and tried to show the warden he wasnt breaking any laws and was told to talk to the judge. dont know about the wardens in your part but around here i wouldnt trust anything they say because the ones ive talked to dont know the laws or much else, i showed a picture of a nice hybrid to one and he ask what kind of fish it was.:roll_eyes:

10. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    . I do now this, it is illegal to fish any body of water in the state using goldfish-live or dead. I would imagine that introducing pickerel to a new body of water would do more damage than a goldfish and surely there is a law that would back that up. Just my two cents.[/QUOTE]

Now I'm confused. I thought we had this discussion awhile back and someone said it was legal. I guess it depends on who's on the other side of the DNR badge if you get busted or not. I thought it was a GO, I guess I'd better STOP till futher notice.

11. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    I found the old post and the answer was ,yes you can. Hear is one of the post I found under GOLDFISH FOR BAIT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fishing with goldfish was legalized just this year, if I recall correctly. It was illegal for a long time because DNR worried about filling SC waters with non-indigenous fish. So yes, you can use them 'till your heart's content.

On the other hand, though, I don't know why anyone would. Especially since you can catch bait over and over again with a $25 cast net from Wal-mart.

12. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    < In SC Bluegill are considered a game fish and CANNOT be transported from one body of water to another for the purpose of bait.>

I have never heard this. EVERYBODY I know, goes to small ponds to catch bream to take to the river. I'd heard of ALL the other rules mentioned, but did not know this one existed. Learned something here. Thanks. Another rule is that you can use live bream for bait on R&R, but you can't use them live on set hooks. They must be used as cut bait on a set hook. I don't limb line so that won't affect me, but I saw a guy fined heavily for using live bream on set hooks in Society Hill.
    Bill in SC

13. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    If transporting bait fish from one body of water to another to be used as bait, is illegal, I should be thrown in prison for life. I don't see it in the regs, BUT if it is in there please tell me which page. If it's not legal, I need to stop. For starters, most of the bait fish sold at Santee come from other bodies of water during most times of year. As far as game fish for bait, how can law enforcement prove they came from another body of water? They can't!

14. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    < how can law enforcement prove they came from another body of water? They can't!>

That's the key. For instance, yesterday, I caught live bream on the river, mixed them in the live well with pond caught bait, then brought them home last night. Took them back to the river today. Brought some back home tonight. They could have come from anywhere as far as anyone would know. Much too complicated to get a conviction on, unless a game warden was hiding and watching you, and following you around. I just can't see this happening.
    Bill in SC

15. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    If Goldfish are illegal then why can u buy them at every bait store? I think they are legal. When talking about transporting bait remember we are talking about game fish such as bream and bass etc. It is legal to transport non game fish like shad, herring etc. I guess if you were at the landing putting your boat in and had a livewell full of bream when the warden showed.........oh crap!!

I've sent an e-mail to the DNR for an answer, I just don't know if I should beleive it or not:confused2::confused2::confused2::smile2:

16. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Thats what I'm talking about Bill and I agree:wink:. As long as your bait game fish meets and is with in the size and creel limits. You will never have a problem if checked.:wink:
    As for as goldfish goes? I'll take my gizzard shad.:big_smile:

17. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Me too Pop Pop! Keep the gold "carp" in the aquarium!

18. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    the only fish that I know of that is illegal to carry to another lake alive is a hickory shad. Hartwell is the only lake in the state and maybe the u.s. that has them in it. you can transport them dead for cut bait but that is it. 85% of the herring sold in the state comes from clark hill so if it was illegal why would the state make the bait catchers have permits for the catching and selling of live bait? there are no trout in lake hartwell but you can legally use them for bait as long as you have the reciept showing that you bought them. alot of striper fisherman use them and alot of the striper clubs work real close with the dnr on creel studies and catching larger females for the hatcheries so they can collect eggs for stockings. so I am quite sure if it wasnt legal this would have been put to a stop long time ago.

19. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Well, I'll eat a little crow. I just got off the phone with Captain Larry Holbrooks of Clemson Dnr and he said it was fine to catch bream and transport them to any body of water in S.C. as long as you're within the creel and size limit. I thought I'd read it , but I guess I didn't , but I called to clear the air. I could tell this thread was gonna get outta text. Sorry for the error in my part, but it's o.k by the Clemon staff. :wink:

20. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    You're right Ron, but the original question was game fish, not bait fish. I agree with you , on this though.