Is it legal to use?

Discussion in 'LOCAL LOUISIANA TALK' started by toddrod, Mar 1, 2007.

1. toddrod

toddrod New Member

State:
    Vacherie,LA
    My barber told me today that Bluegills or perch are illegal to use as bait because they are considered a game fish in our fine state. Is this true? I looked on the State Game and Fish site and did not find anything about this. Can anyone here clarify for me.

2. shuorc

shuorc New Member

State:
    fl
    In Florida it is illegal and posted as such on the website.--shu

3. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I dont get it, there are billions of blugill. Would taking a half or full dozzen out of a lake 1 time a week realy hurt anything. For example, I have a big private pond that I net bull head in for flathead bait. I do this about once a week to put in a stalk tank and I catch dozens of them each week. And I have not seen dead catfish floating because they are starving. (I also take blue gill out of it)

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Here is your states regulation....

No person shall have in his possession more than twice the daily bag limit of any kind of freshwater game fish; except that only one day's bag limit of Black Bass may be in possession while on the water and except that only a one day's bag limit of all species of fish may be in possession while on the water at Toledo Bend Reservoir; and except that the possession limit for catfish is as identified under Catfish; and except that only one day's bag limit of crappie may be in possession while on the water at Poverty Point. All designated freshwater game fish (black bass, striped bass, crappie and bream) caught in any type of recreational or commercial net or trap must be returned immediately to the water from which taken without avoidable injury. All regulations regarding these species apply whether caught in salt or fresh water areas.

Bluegill, redears, sunfish, punkinseeds, etc are members of the bream family, therefore it would be illegal to use them for bait.

Here is a link to the specific page in the regulations.

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/fishing/recreational/freshwater/regulations/

and with that I have completed my 1,800th post. YEAH.

5. ar_confederate

ar_confederate New Member

State:
    Minden, Lo
    It is legal to use bream as bait in Louisiana if they are caught by a legal method, in this case, hook.

6. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    i dont live in LA. but im pretty sure that anything considered gamefish cannot be used as bait. why your state would classify bream as gamefish is beyond me. if Texas ever classified bream as gamefish, then I would be classified as a criminal, cause i certainly would break that law.

opps. sorry emmitt. I misread yer post thinkin it was a question.
    since it is a gamefish, what are the possession limits?

7. Cajun Tater

Cajun Tater New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Are we sure Bream are considered Bait fish? What is the 2nd bait of choose? I was planning a spring flathead run.

Cajun Tater

8. mandisue13

mandisue13 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    hmmm i ahve used bluegill.....have to ask the hubby!

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Emmett may have hit the nail on the head. I didn't spend any great deal of time reading the Louisiana regulations. I do know that in Oklahoma it is legal to use any species of fish as bait, as long as it was caught in a legal means. That means a largemouth caught on a spinnerbait can go on a jug line (Unless the body of water has length limits). A largemouth caught in a cast net must be immediately released. A carp caught on doughbait can be used as live bait, and a carp caught in a net, trap, by hand, can be used as bait. You just have to be careful of possession limits and size limits.

I'd recommend the Louisiana fishermen pursue the link above and see if there is a place they can e-mail their state offices. We have that feature in Oklahoma and I use it to clarify fish/game provisions and to report illegal trot lines or jug lines in the lakes I fish. I am proud to say they do go out and get those jugs. LOL

10. toddrod

toddrod New Member

State:
    Vacherie,LA
    OK, here is the low down. I was able to talk to a game warden this afternnon, specifically the Capt over my area. He told me that perch/ bream that are caught on hook and line may be used for bait (cut or live ) for catfish if being used to catch catfish for home consumption. He even recommended using small live perch instead of cut bait. I guess I will have to stop by my barber and let him know the good news.

11. Cajun Tater

Cajun Tater New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    That sounds good. Bream by hook means bait.

Good luck to everyone.

Jerry

12. ar_confederate

ar_confederate New Member

State:
    Minden, Lo
    Just to reassure everyone, we had this discussion a while back and the Louisiana game and fish DID say bream could be used as bait, if taken by hook...