Is it legal to shoot squirrels in your yard

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by beaneye46, Feb 5, 2006.

1. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i live in town considered city limits. but im a country boy at heart.
    is it legal to shoot squirels in your own back yard. i hope it is because ive shot six so far with my bow and arrow. but the last one ran off with my arrow stuck in him, and im wondering if i should be waiting for the cops to come.

2. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Here in Kansas You must be outside any city limits to hunt.

3. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    If I were you, i'd start shooting them with your shot gun, that way they wont run away! And when the neighbors ask what all the noise is, you can tell them you ate some Mexican food for supper! :0a26:

Eric

4. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing

How big are those squirels?

You been feeding them?

Probably went up to its nest curled up and died?

5. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    Be on the safe side and box trap them.They are real easy to catch and control this way.The bow and arrow is a bad idea.(PETA) You do'nt want the neighbors kids or dog finding a squirrel with an arrow in it.
    Everyone hates them when they get into houses and destroy bird feeders ect.,but just let them see a squirrel in distress and they will come down on you like a ton of bricks.What you do with them after trapping is up to you.
    Be wise and do'nt advertise.

BILL

6. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    beaneye46

Is it illegal to shoot squirrels in your back yard.

#1. If there not in season, no your not !!

#2. first you got to make sure your not in someone else's safety zone, Alot of states require the safety zone of being 150 yards from any other building or structure that may have people near it, that could even be your neighbors shed. ( So make sure your 150 yards or greater away from it )

This is even if you own the property you shoot the game on it must still be 150 yards from someone else's building.

#3.Make sure there is not a city ordinance or Township regulation about discharging a firearm or shooting a bow and arrow.

#4. There is other ways to remove squirrels from someones home, buy traps that let you remove them from your area keeping them alive, there is contacting your fish and game officer in your area, or calling some pest control people. Its not worth if your in violation of the law getting caught and maybe losing your hunting privileges for a year or two and paying a fine, just cause a squirrel is bothering you.

JMHO

7. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Cant see why any one would want to shoot squirells out of there yard.
    We feed them here and have 30 or more greys on the property.
    Dont get me wrong I am a avid hunter but I think,
    If some one is a country boy and wants to hunt them do just that. Go to the country. JMO

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I sure hope so! LOL! The little rat Bas#$%ds.

9. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Alot of towns and cities have a law called
    Discharging a firearm in city limits. Check with your PD. In INdiana we have a Squirrle season.
    Bill

10. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Cody, Listen to DH !, but I suppose you are eating them, right? lol All municipalities have a law forbidding the discharge of any type of ordnance, this includes bows, guns, fireworks, and some times sling shots and air rifles.

11. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    where i grew up at i had this old man who lived behind me who had a huge walnut tree in his yard. he loved walnuts and the squirels would come from all over that end of town to eat, using the power lines as highways lol. he loved eating the squirels too but he kept getting hassled about shooting b.b. guns in the city by the police so he just started using leg-traps. my grand-father used big rat-traps with peanut butter and would just sit and wait than beat them with a shovel. peanut butter drives squirels bezerk! they cant resist.

12. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    It's illegal here to shoot any gun...BB or real...as well as a bow inside the city limits.

Go to a pet store, sporting goods store, or the local farmers CO-OP and get a live trap. Bait them with corn, bird seed, or apples. If there's squirrels there...you'll get them with the live trap. I have gotten over 3 dozen tree rats myself in the last 6 months. One dozen out of my freaking attic.

Also works good on feral cats...as well as possums, coons, and skunks. So watch it!!

13. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I have to go with Spoonfish on this, although I'm not judging anyone for what they choose to do. I enjoy hunting, but I don't do it at home, and I'm lucky enough to have pretty good hunting within a half mile of home.
    I feed the birds and squirrels so that we can enjoy watching them, especially during the winter. We also have quite a few deer pass through our yard (even had a sow bear and cub hanging around for a spell a couple of years back), but I don't bother them, either, too much fun to watch.

14. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    To each their own I believe. I don't mind squirrels as long as they stay out of my attic. They're a nuisance to me then. Alot of people would rather watch the birds at the feeder instead of the squirrels keeping everything ran off. Except for the bluejays...it's hilarious to watch a pair of bluejays tear into a squirrel.

15. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    it used to kill me when i was a kid seeing my neighbor and granfather kill squirels cause i used to feed then with a spoon and peanut butter, very easy to get them used to you, they would follow me around sometimes. but they were a nuisence in the neighborhood with the walnut tree being there, there were just so many of them! they would get in the attic/walls and chew up the wiring and just tear stuff up.

16. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    About the second or third time you have to pay an electrician to redo your wiring in the attic...or have to re-insulate...or have to clean up squirrel dung by the shovel full...squirrels aren't so cute anymore...Lol.

17. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Catcaller, I used to have trouble with the squirrels at the bird feeders, but now I've hung the feeders in a dogwood tree, in a way that the squirrels can't get to them. I also scatter cob corn and sunflower seeds to keep them occupied. Sometimes the birds and squirrels are there together, but they don't seem to bother each other too bad. If the squirrels became a nuisance, beyond scurrying around on the eaves, I would probably reduce the population, because I know they really can be a nuisance. I have some friends that constantly fight to keep them out of the attic and such, so I understand how irritating they can get to a lot of people. That's why I don't judge anyone for shooting them in their yard if they have to. Up the road at the farm, where I hunt, I have to store feed corn in a silo, or the squirrels will really mess things up. I have a fairly small patch of woods at the back, and the natural food sources, I think, keeps the resident population under control; I've noticed lots more squirrels during the summer and fall when plenty of food is available, but in the winter, I rarely see more than 6-8.:)

18. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Six or eight wouldn't be so bad...it's that 16 or 20 that gets out of hand...lol.

19. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    IN has a season on squirrels,and that season is no longer in,so what you are doing is called poaching! if you was to come in here and say you shot 6 deer out of your yard and one ran off with and arrow stuck in it,this thread would 200 pages long with people disaproving of your actions...yes i know it is only a squirrel:rolleyes: ,bascily a rat that live in trees,but it is a an animal that disserves our respect.if these squirrels are such a problem i might suggested trapping and relocating the critters,or at the very least call your local CO and get some suggestions,and if thier is no laws in your township about discharging weapons in city limits he might issue you a nuissence permit that will allow you exterminate the pest.
    They are only squirrels but in IN they are considerd a game species and with that are rules and regulation on when you can kill these animals and from the sound of things you are breaking these rules......maybe im the only one that sees it this way?:confused:

20. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    The legal way is ALWAYS the best way. There are laws in place for safety and for conservation considerations. A nuisance is however a nuisance. Trapping/Relocating...IMO is probably the best route to take. But like I said before...shelling out $300 or $400 a time or two to rewire the attic when you don't have it to spend...will lead a guy to a life of crime.