Is it legal to have a gun on your boat in SC?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by wylie catter, Jul 3, 2006.

1. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I was wondering if it was legal or not? I know a lot of people do it. I like to carry a pistol, but I don't want to break any laws. Thanks for any posts.

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Yes, it is legal. I would, however, let any law enforcement officer that may stop you for a check, know that you have a weapon on board, even if you are wearing it in a holster.

3. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Not sure but I will ask the DNR guy that comes to my uncles body shop. I know you can have one on your side in the open on Broad River.

4. CatFish Daddy

CatFish Daddy New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I always carry my 9mm with me loaded with silver tip hollo pts. just in case a werewolf decides he wants to jump off the bank and into my boat with me lol I DO ALOT of fishing at night by myself and like to have it just in case. DONT WANT TO BE THE ONLY ONE TO SHOW UP AT A GUN FIGHT WITH OUT A GUN

5. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yeah I feel the same way. You just don't want to be caught unarmed when those werewolves show up. LOL

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I refuse to carry mine on the boat.

There are too many times I would be justified in shooting someone pulling a skier or riding by on a jet ski!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I've been checked by DNR while wearing a holstered sidearm, fishing and hunting, with no questions asked. If I am carrying concealed, then by law I am required to make them aware of that fact, but normally I lay the weapon on the console, or keep it holstered when boating.

8. catrod

catrod New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Just becareful because in N.C. you are not allowed to posess a firearm on a wildlife boat ramp!

9. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Yeah if I would have had one when I was in a tournament last year on Moultrie.I would probably be in jail now.I even told the man I would have shot em if I had a gun.I know it wouldnt the smartest thing to do because he could've had one but he ran over our lines while we had 2 fish on and I just lost it.Never been that mad before in my life.

10. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee

Do you mean the wildlife in N.C. have their own boats and their own ramps to launch them. Don't the deer and the bears fight when they show up with their boats at the same time. I thought Tennessee had some silly laws. LOL

11. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Is this including a CCP I have had a permit in Texas, South Carolina and North Carolina and have never had any problem's even when I was getting my lisence checked. I always let them know I have it and that I have a permit to carry it and Have never had a problem.

12. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    In N.C. ,the firearm cannot be loaded at a wildlife access area, Due to the number of people around the area ,it can't be loaded.......Same as carring a weapon through a wildlife area during closed season...................has to be unloaded..

13. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

thanks for the answer I will try to remember that.

14. whichrod

whichrod New Member

State:
    columbia sc
    you not only can carry a gun while fishing in south carolina you can carry one to and from hunting and fishing if you have a valid hunting or fishing licence and the gun is carried in plain view not concealed , this law was challenged a few years back in columbia on blossom street bridge over the congree river when a stupid local reporter for i think free times walked back and forth over the bridge in a suit and tie carrying a gun and a few fishing hooks in his pockets and some line was arrested by comumbia police , his defence was that it is legal to carry a gun while going hunting or fishing , trouble was he did not have a valid hunting or fishing licence , but in the end all charges were dropped , he got his stupid story for the free times , and almost ruined it all for us true sportsmen , the dnr stopped printing in there rule book about this law to stop copy cats , but to make a long story short you still can carry a gun to and from and while fishing
    in any lake or river in sc

15. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    So all the deer are on boats thats why I cant find them in the woods. Yes it is legal as being a law enforcement officer please if I stop you please let me know you have it before I see it always makes the situation a little more confortable.. I hate it when I am on a traffic stop and someone opens their glovebox to get their insurance and a gun falls out of it with out them telling me it was there. One these days my heart is not going to start beating again after that.

16. gatorbait

gatorbait New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Growing up in the lowcountry, we fished the swamps and rice fields a good bit so there was always the slight danger of alligators, so we always kept a 45 on board. The only time I thought we would ever need it was in Winyah Bay in Georgetown. We were in a 14' boat and and gator's head popped up about 50' away. No big deal except that his tail popped up about 14' behind him. He looks at us and we look at him, then he begins to swim towards us and goes underwater. I was with my dad at the time and we made the mutual agreement that a pistol might not be that useful against a gator bigger than our boat. So we sped off and left the fishing hole to the true king of the bay.

17. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Is there any kind of permitt required to have it on the boat? Can I just have it out in view? I use to carry a gun ,but since they came out with the new handgun laws I stopped taking it on the boat. I feel safer with one,cell phones take some of the worry away, but the peace maker takes the rest away.

18. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Always check your laws to make sure you are legal, let any law enforcement officer that checks you know you are packing, if you don't like the carry laws in your state get together, and do something about it. Remember, An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject. Good fishin', Jack.

19. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    iv never needed a gun in the boat and hopefully never will ,have often times wished i had a scatter gun when bank fishing due to snakes seen a pistol once that took 410 shells it was a bouble barrel not more than 4 inches long thought about buyin one for years just never done it,only other reason i could see for having one on the boat would be to fend off pirates ,you all know how many there are these days :lol: