Is it just me?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by F250SD-Baby!!, Sep 16, 2008.

1. F250SD-Baby!!

F250SD-Baby!! New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I don't know if its just me, or what, but the last 5 or 6 times we went out to Dutch Gap to do some night fishing, that's all we did...not even a bite! :beat_brick:not in just one spot either...I mean we went all over the river...both sides of the river, about 10 different spots from the 295 bridge back to across the boat ramp (that was our last stop before calling it quits after about 5 or 6 hours of nothing) :0a35: any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

2. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    I fish alot of times with nothing, one day good 9 days bad. The only thing I can suggest is check the tide. The bite will be better when the tide comes in.
    I'm starting to focus on that so I'm not just standing around waiting. A guy who does alot of downtown fishing told me when the tide comes in you have maybe an hour of good fishing and thats it. I'm fishing from the bank so I have limited options. Cooler weather will also help, it's right around the corner.
    good luck

3. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I feel that either tide is good. I like outgoing a little better than incoming, but as long as the tide is moving, that's what matters. When it's slack, that's when I experience a lull in the bite until it turns around and starts moving again.

4. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    I like all three tides In-coming ,Out-going and slack water. All 3 will produce fish an any given day. I am more in tune with how I set op on the fish as to what tide im fishing on. All I can say is check your basics. Tide, Moon Phase, and Bait. And don't get discouraged. Also September can be a tough transition month from Summer to Fall. Try the day bite this time of year. It could be producing better results right now. Good luck, stay focused and good things will come.

5. F250SD-Baby!!

F250SD-Baby!! New Member

State:
    Virginia
    thanks, but we've done day, night, high tide, just before dead low tide to when it turns and starts coming back in, full moon (this weekend), new moon, and all kinds of bait, I'm begining to think that we just smell funny or something?:embarassed: ya think maybe with the rush of the rain, the transition in the water chemistry may have them all messed up...since the rain we haven't seen any blue crabs, and before it, it was nothing to see them swimming by the boat?! I know the river was really brakish, we had salt all over the boat, and that was alot of fresh water rushing in. I don't know...this weekend I think we are gonna go to the Rappahannock to try our luck for puppy drum.

6. freshbaitrules

freshbaitrules New Member

State:
    virginia
    Thank you for not catching fish! Sounds funny huh? I went out last night fished from 6:30 to 11:00pm. Fresh bait, set up from Ozborne to Deep Bottom. I had one rod that looked like it moved, I think! It did a little bouncing thing for like 2 seconds. Full moon? Water was like glass good moving current. Nothing! Not a dink. So glad it's not just me! Shirley I thank you.

7. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Trust me I know how it is. I've spent countless hours with many groups of people on piers raving how bad "this spot" is ect. Look back on this message board, how many good reports have there been for large catches over say the past 3-4 months. Not very many. I fished Osboune bank for 2 solid months without a bite or a catch before I realized I was wasting my time there.....OK I'm slow:eek:oooh:. Fish are fickle, they can travel up and down there river all day and night. I seem to recall the Fall/Winter months when people where reporting the monsters everybody is looking for. I'm sure our time is right around the corner. Even the Richmond Times fishing report is unimpressive. I don't even look at it anymore. Lets all just look at our slow trips as one more to our good one. I mean it when I say I have 9 bad ones then one good one. The good one keeps me fishing...:big_smile_2:....and spending money on fishing supplies:embarrassed_2:

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I know that feeling, keep on trying and the fish will come