Is it just me?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by stlcatman, Jun 12, 2009.

1. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    I feel like the missouri board is over run with a Whackem and Stackem mentality these days. Don't get me wrong I am all for selective harvest but everywhere I look there are pictures of big dead fish. I am just curious what the h**l happend. I guess we have done away with CPR, or selective harvest? Is it every man women and child for themselves? I am just curious. I know there are plenty of smaller fish in Missouri that you can fill your freezers with, why kill the big ones. Excuses like feeding my family and times are tough are lost on me. Like I said you have to wade through the eater size fish to get to one or two big fish. This isn't to start an argument about whats legal. Legal and ethical are two different things. Come on Missouri Catters pull your heads out of your a**es.

2. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne

3. Frankie B

Frankie B Guest

no one will ever win this fight....if everybody took just the eating size then where would the future big cats come from???? and if everyone cleans house on the trophy's?????? Well sometimes we need to sit back and just enjoy NATURE cause thats all it is....ebb and flow.....I love every aspect of catfish---fishing----catching---bs'ing with friends----eating----hell I got a 10lb flathead in my fish tank!!!! LOVE IT ALL GOOD AND BAD

4. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    In the time I have been active with this group I have noticed it also. I wonder though if also it has to due somewhat with the groth of the group and what we are sharing with the new members as far as a "Mission Statement" Your point can be put to the test and the angles are many and all have points valid to those who makes them. Some people want everyone to know how big a fish they caught or how many. I like reading and seeing that info myself. It kind of keeps my belief that my trip might have been slow but someone else did awesome. Be supportive and speak your mind. Be nice but let them know some kid is also looking at the site and "I" dont want them thinking they need to grow up just like the guy with his truck bed full of big fish. I fish for the sunset I see, the time with my friends and family, and all the other memories I put in my head. If I catch a monster its just a bonus. :roll_eyes:

5. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    We all know how this will turn out like always lol just my .02 put the big ones back for a few reason's 1. someone else can enjoy that fight 2. the bigger they are the better they protect thier fry and in return MORE fish to eat more fish to reproduce in turn cont's the life cycle. 3. Someday when i have kids i hope i will be able to take them out to the river and pull some monster's out of the river. just want to say somthing that boils my blood is when i go down to the lake of ozarks i usally go out in the early moring to ride our waverunner and check things out <nothing like hittin 60mph plus on glass> then i see it jug lines with big DEAD cats connected to them :angry: you spend a day cruisin the lake your bound to see it yourself. just my .02 like i said. Cant make anyone do anything they dont want to do, you just gotta practice your own rules of fishing and hope people understand where we are coming from on cpr for large fish im all for eating the small ones.

6. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    science fact......flatheads produce 1200 eggs per pound of body wieght
    channels and blue 3000-6000 per pound

you figure out why its important to keep the big ones alive

7. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't presume to know everyone's reasoning nor do I question those who keep their catch-within reason. While I may not personally agree with a persons choice, I don't necessarily feel it's within my realm to chastise that individual. I have been known to keep a big one from time to time and steak it out to share with people who like to eat fish but are no longer able to fish for their own. I think our two best options are in education and legislation. Not everyone buys into the concept of cpr and those of us that utilize this practice can only continue urging the others to do the same--not by coercion, but through common sense logic. Stay safe and enjoy the moment!!!

8. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Let me just say this is not directed at new people who are coming into the sport. Heck most on here start off catching and keeping what they catch. That was one of the reasons when I started on here that I was so proud of the Missouri board. It was a great tool to teach beginers the sport and about the benefits of CPR. What I am seeing here lately is a group that has been here and at the sport for a while advocating the practice of Whackem and Stackem.

9. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    i agree with you 100% my friend. needs to change. at least so the fish that have been able to attain large or trophy size have the ability to pass those genes on.

10. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    :smile2::smile2:eek:o lordy the fun never ends :wink::smile2: !!!!!!!!!!!!

Im allowed 33 hooks and intend to use them all .

I usually run 6 to 8 rods out of mt boat
    around 20 on my trotline
    and with flatheads spawning on the banks up in creeks Ill have a few well placed limb lines out .

I usually save the jug fishen for truman

ok if the saying wackem and stackem is wrong from now on ill say

killem and pile them up like cord wood !!!!!!!!!!!!

geeeesh its 3 words ( wackem and stackem ) that some of us get a kick out of ..

I got some ocean front property in arizona :wink: and if youll buy that ill throw the golden gate in FREE

ok i wont lie last 5 maybe close to 7 years i only rod and reel fish I think i ran about 10 jugs 1 time in that time period ..

but if i want to run lines i have the right to and will ... its all fun to me even noodelin ...

anytime im on the lake and chassin cats im having fun what ever method and I truely love to wackem and stackem !!!!!!!!!!!!!

ONCE AGAIN I WILL SAY I DONT KEEP FISH EVERYTIME I GO !!!!!!!!!

but maybe I should your right times are tough and i have lots of family and friends that enjoy a good fish fry :wink::wink:

Ive said nothing wrong here ... no cuss words ,,, no names ....

like quint said ,, too many captians on this island !!!!

ILL GO ALONE

10 $$$ bucks worth of gas for the boat and my rods ,,
    FOR THAT YA GET THE HEAD ,, THE TAIL ,, THE WHOLE DARN THING ..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H40if9Wq0RA

heres what myself and a few of my buddies think of the CALLS,, private messages,, and attitudes on the whole cpr and save the whales ,, and running set lines !!!!!!!!!!!

woooooo hooo thats just great

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NraAhd_asM

11. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    I have done much better at not keeping fish every time

if you seen the fish stringers we caught on rod and reel below the dam in 1986 ,, 1993 and 1995 when we had flood years and what we kept
    :crazy::eek:oooh: and when we ran trottlines from oct to deer season .....

I dont even keep 30 %%% or so from them days !!!!!

had a buddy a couple nights ago that went below the dam and nailed a 50 plus lb cat 3 in the middle 30s a couple 20s and teens on down .

he will post pics when he gets back home .. so yep fish are still in the lake of the ozarks :wink:

12. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    OK the blue in my avatar 74lbs I have caught heat hatemail ect. I just fill em in on the whole story and they relax get to know me and find I ant much dif than them. I do some cpr and ccc shrugs I live on the river. I support the fish and game laws and have my own opinions. I ant gona tell a 9 yearold kidd who fought a 50 lb blue to a standstill he cant keep it it ant right. I suggest to let him go but the kidd caught it its his choice. The pic is in my albums that kidd is my nephew. He is a hardcore fisherman and hunter now and is a catch and release guy 90% of the time. I runn lines to. Dont post pics of line fish cause someones feelings might get hurt. But tell ya what I have had 500lbs worth on a line with 8 fish and keppt 2 20lbers to eat and let the rest go.I doubt we put much of a dent in the cat population. We dont fish for a liven and ant haullen 500lbs to 1000lbs a day out. A guy needs to make a liven and cant blame him but man there are better ways take up welding:wink:. Just relax enjoy the posts and the fish' We got some of the best catfishen in the USA here. And ya see a big dead fish pic (ASK for the whole story first) Thanks

13. big riggin' younggun

big riggin' younggun New Member

State:
    Illinois
    once a certain group of unmetionables move they keep whatever they catch or at least screw with it till its dead and then they release it. (floaters)

14. big riggin' younggun

big riggin' younggun New Member

State:
    Illinois
    hell yah to welding... keeping america alive.

15. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Lol This same topic is 15 pages long on the Ohio rivers sections. Are the rivers cleaner in Mo.?

16. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Punkin, you and all the other St. Louis boys got your own forum and abandoned the rest of us -- and then the lunatics took over the asylum.

Heck, they've even got me thinkin' about whackin' & stackin' & fryin' some taters myself before all the big ones are gone! (Of course, everyone knows I'm not much of a catfisherman, being both afraid of the dark and too much of a "brown noser" to get out and figure things out on my own. So there's probably not much worry about me putting a dent in the big cat population...)

Anyone want in on the "how long till this thread disappears" pool? I'll give it till Saturday afternoon at the latest...

17. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Scotty I am sure you are doing it all in fun and your reports help a lot of people out on here. What I don't know is if most of the time you are joking, serious or to get under another persons skin on here? I know you use the term whack em and stack em and I am not just referring to you here. I am just noticing that a lot of new members are on here. Sure back in the past it use to get a little heated on these debates but there were a lot of new members brought into the light on CPR because of this site. Here in the Missouri thread I think that the guys who were out there catching these big fish and letting them go were the ones taking the new members out and showing them that taking a picture and releasing a big fish was more satisfying than killing it. I am definately not saying that this does not still go on but I am noticing a new trend on the Missouri board and it is headed in another direction.

18. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    not sure if cleaner ,, but alot of catfish blood in them from the off fall after a cleaning :wink::smile2:

lol this subject will never end !!!!!

guese tomorrow when i change my oil in my truck ill pour it in the ditch :wink: lol

19. big cat matt

big cat matt Member

State:
    mo,OSAGE ARM TRUMAN
    Theres still alot of bigguns out there.
    And YES there needs to be balance.
    Its probably more balanced than it has ever been in my area and looks like its going to keep headin that way, and thats good.

20. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO

I'm sure your not the only on who has lost a big fish to a long fight. I have never sent you any hate mail nor would I. Your right we do have a great population of fish here in Missouri. But I bet every story in the past had a set of fisherman be it comercial or recreational who destoryed a fishery said at one time "we will never put a dent in it". Maybe not today or tomorrow but eventually. Why not start today to build a stronger population than to slowly tear it down?