Is it illegal to cut the line?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by malaki, Apr 24, 2006.

1. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    we were bank fishing at a lake sunday and there was a guy across the lake catching more fish than we were. so we were watching him reel them in and noticed they kept getting off right in front of him, so i kept watching to see why he was loosing every fish when he pulled out a pair of pliers out and cut the line. i saw him do it at least 4 times. the kids said they caught a small one(too sall to break any line) with a hook and about 2 feet of line atached. i wanted too say something but dont want to start trouble. is there anything that can be done if he happened too get caught by the proper authoraties? i dont want to see a bunch of fish die or get infected because this guy is too lazy to remove a hook.

2. tehrealmccoy

tehrealmccoy New Member

State:
    Streator, Illin
    Actually, I believe most hooks will dissolve away harmlessly to the fish (depending on where they got hooked.)

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Probably not illegal, but surley unethical.

4. steve-o

steve-o New Member

State:
    ohio
    why fish if you aren't going to bring them all the way in?

as far as i'm concerned, if it doesn't reach the bank it doesn't count!

5. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    I can not think of any reason that would couse someone to do something like this. If he is not going to take proper care and practice proper release methods then he should not be fishing.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Larry I agree with you 100 percent.

7. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Should of taken him a pair of rubber gloves so he wouldn't get his precious hands dirty. Just lazy IMO.

8. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    That is the stangest tale I have ever heard. Wonder what he was thinking. I guess I would have had to ask him as I am just too nosey when it comes to things like that. I sure would have called the game warden. May not be illegal, but sure is not good for the fish.

9. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    could this have possibly been a pay lake where you have to pay per lb.? possibly they didn't want to have to pay for the fish?

10. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Was it possible they were small bluegill that were guthooked???Maybe he was too far away to tell...he might of been doing the right thing/or maybe he was lazy...hard to tell:confused: :confused:

11. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    That is pretty weird. I have never heard of anyone doing that but it sounds a little shady to me, not sure why someone would do that.

12. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    Sounds like some wimp who didn/t want to get his hand on a slimy fish. I also seen some thing last week that angered me. I was at the low water dam in granite city where I seen this chinese fellow trying to catch shad with a net. He got his net hung up on the rocks and just threw the rope in. He should of pulled the net out even if it was all tore up. A lot of people fish right there so now they are all going to get snagged on that net.

13. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Yeah, definatly needs to have a talkin too.

Well, being the smart azz that I am, I would of said, "Sir, if you are too scared to take the fish off the hook I will come over and help."

Yeah, probably started a fight but would of been funny as hell.

14. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    not to mention...how tiring it would get replacing your line/hook/weights...every flippin time you caught a fish...just stupid...

15. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    If there is no possible way to get the hook out, For instance if the fish swollows it just take it home and eat it. But dont just do it because u do not want to mess with getting the hook out:mad: . If thats why, u should not even be fishing. Dont think it is illegal though. Good question though if it absolutely has to be done.

16. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    Cat are hardy enough to be able to remove the hook then release, sounds lazy to cut the line every time. There shouldn't be any harm towards the fish though some times I will cut the line and leave the hook in the fish if it will do it more harm to remove it like in the gullet. The hooks don't last that long unless stainless is used.

17. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    :confused: This is weird behavior. You cant really call him lazy, a lazy guy wouldn't retie after every fish. I don't think that they were gut hooked,doesn't sound like he got a close enough look to tell.
    All I can figure is he must have a fish phobia , maybe his Shrink has him on a three step program. The first step was just to be near the water. This could have taken up to three weeks! I think you came in on step two. Catch a fish and reel it in as close as you can till you get scared then cut the line. What I would like to see is step three, when he has to actually touch it! lmao Could you just imagine watching that! :eek: lol

18. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    If the fish were guthooked. then the guy did right by cutting the line and returning the fish, especially if they were brought in quick and small in size.
    But he should change is tactics if he is targeting bigger fish while he is guthooking small ones.

19. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    he wasnt even getting them out of the water to see if they swalowed it, a few of them looked like pretty good fish floping around in the water. if they hadnt been fighting so hard i never would have paid any attention but when you here the water splashing your gonna look to se what they catch. i think he's just o lazy to mess with them. at least pull them out of the water and show them off! whats the point if you dont brag a little. lol

20. Fishhead1

Fishhead1 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Eric
    Are there Gar in the lake?

I've seen so many fishermen that are scared of gar, they'll just cut the line or worse yet break the beaks right off the fish. I even watched 1 guy beat the gar off his hooks w/ a paddle. It was so sad it was funny.

I do research on the Miss and lower Il. Rivers and it's truely sad to see how many maimed fish are out there because fishermen are scared to handle gar.