Is it illegal in West Virginia to use Goldfish for bait?

Discussion in 'LOCAL WEST VIRGINIA TALK' started by moondog58, Aug 11, 2009.

1. moondog58

moondog58 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Ok, I was reading some other sites and I saw someone say that they use goldfish for bait. I have never tried this, but it sounds interesting.

First, does anyone know if it is legal to use goldfish in WV as bait.

Second, if it is legal, what kind of success has anyone had with them?

I was up at Petco the other day getting some stuff to keep the fleas at bay, and saw goldfish were pretty cheap. If they work well, that might be something else to try.

I fish the Mon, if I find out they are legal, I may get a dozen and give them a try. You never know.

At the end of July I was down on the Greenbrier at Alderson, and we tried lizards which the guy at the bait shop recommended. With many doubts and hesitation my son and I threw our first lizards out. WOW, what a find. Everything hit them. We caught a dozen nice small mouth, a couple of ok large mouths, more bluegill and rock bass than we could count, and even two nice cats. We used our first dozen lizards one afternoon and went back and got three more dozen to fish that night and the next day. We brought about half a dozen back with us to Morgantown, and we had great success with them up here too.

So I am not going to question the use of goldfish, until I find out for myself, but I need to make sure it is legal. If no ones knows, I will try and call the dnr and find out.

Thanks.

2. Bassmaster9863

Bassmaster9863 New Member

State:
    WEST VIRGINIA
    i have seen them used pay lakes be4.... the big flats like them pretty good im gonna say that they are allowed bc i have seen tackle shops sell them

3. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I cant find anything on it. Best bet would be to give them a call or shoot them an email.

4. moondog58

moondog58 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Ok, I just called the DNR and ask if goldfish are legal bait.

THEY ARE LEGAL HERE IN WEST VIRGINIA.

So, I am of to petco to get a dozen to try the next night I go catfishing.

I will report back to how successful they will be in the Mon river up here around Morgantown.

Thanks everyone for your input.

5. WV_Catfisherman

WV_Catfisherman New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    i just got back from fishing the greenbrier around talcott. we used smallmouths for bait and caught some nice fish. caught 6 in all, ranging from about 10 to 30 pounders. if ya get back down that way, you might try using them for bait if ya wanna catch a big one.

6. moondog58

moondog58 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Fished on the Greenbrier down around Alderson the weekend of July 17-19. We caught a lot of small mouth, some bluegill, a largemouth or two, but no cats.

I even set a trout line one night, nothing. Use crawfish and night crawlers on the trout line.

We caught almost everything on lizards. Best live bait I have ever used. Never used them before. No one up here around Morgantown has ever heard of using lizards. I would love to try lizards in the Mon river.