is it broken?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Wil, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    ok so the other night i shut my foot in my friends truck door really hard and when i did i heard a crack pain shot up my leg and it wouldnt stop hurting the rest of the night. the next morning it only hurt when i put too much weight on it(just the big toe hurt) or if i stepped wrong but there wasnt any bruising or anything like that. this morning the whole left side of my right foot was red where the door hit like it was a big bruise and the area around it was turning blue, it doesnt hurt as much when i walk on it but its extremely swollen and it is now turning a dark purple color and part of the toenail is black/darkpurple.. what do yall think

2. LandsCats

LandsCats New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    The injury kindof sounds like you might have done something to the legiments. If you caught your foot just below the ankle bone thats what my guess would be. Ice it down but not more the 15 to 20 minutes at a time. If you ankle seems to be not a strong anymore I'm sure this is whats wrong. If it seems to get stronger then its just a real bad sprain. Hope it get better and take it easy for a few days and remember to ice.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I know its expensive, but maybe ya should go to a DR.

4. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    i didnt hit my ankle, my ankles fine its my big toe thats causing all the problems, ill put picks up so you can see what it looks like.

5. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    hmm.. pics didnt upload

6. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ok i think this will show up

7. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    The pics don't look good keep the weight off ice and if it don't get better time to call the doc. I am sure some of the guys here might cut the toe off for you.

8. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well Will,
    That looks pretty ugly. Its been my experience that when somethings broke, theres alot of swelling involved. If you can wiggle everything fine without much pain, I would say at worst you could have a hairline fracture, but it dont look like anything some ice, rest, and a pedicure wont fix.:wink: But what do I know, I've never been to med school, never even stayed at a Holiday Inn Express.:smile2:

9. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Will, go to warn, stead of cold after the first 12 hours. I'd soak that puppy in some warm epsom salts. If ya had a boot on and it turned out that way I'd say there's a good chance of a broken bone. Watch for any further discolor as that would be an indicator of a circulation problem. If ya can get a boot on an walk on it, you probly just bruised the heck out of it.

10. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska

i did this 2 days ago, and i was just wearing my tennis shoes. i can wiggle them to some extent without any pain but when i get to a certain point it hurts

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I've broken both elbows and various toes and fingers.
    After a few days the blood settles out and turns a purplish black just like your toe.
    The bone doesnt have to be broken in half to be a fracture, it could be cracked or split.

The nephew the other week was messing a propane cylinder on the farm and it wound up getting his big toe.
    It lead to getting two pins.
    He didnt go to the doctor right away either. He kept working. He went the next day when he figured out it kinda hurt real bad:smile2:

I would get it looked at now rather then later.
    I would rather know I was caring for it the proper way especially since the big toe is the balance toe. Any other toe could be sacrificed.

12. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Mark's right about the big toe - I busted my pinkie toe jumping in the pool when I was in the Marines and went to the corpsman about 2 days later and he just said "Yup, it's broke". Couldn't splint it so he just gave me some motrin and sent me on my way. Lookd kind of like yours, bruised an swollen. Also seen a few guys stress fracture their feet on long hikes just from walking so much. You may want it checked out just to make sure it doesn't need pins or something. If your big toe gets jacked up, heals wrong, whatever, it could be bad news down the road. Good luck with it,

Branden

13. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    Here's something to think about. If you did break it and let it go to long. It may start to heal the wrong way. Then when you go to the doctor they will have to re-break it to make it right. I know someone that happened to once. They let it go for about 2 weeks and it was healing wrong.

You could just cut it off and use it as catfish bait. LOL. :wink:

14. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Will...theres ligaments in your foot as well...you could have strained one...or hopefully not tore one.

Here a while back I partially tore my MCL in my knee because I did something stupid and avoidable.

I also waited three days before I went to the doctor...and tried to go back to work when I could barely walk...and further aggravated it. (Which was also stupid...and prolonged my recovery time)

I'm just now getting back to normal.

I avoided surgery...but it'll probably end up happening sometime in the future...as previously torn ligaments that are not re-attached are inherently weak.

If you're truly getting along better...then it's ok to wait...and it'll likely heal up.

But if you're in denial...and it's really not getting better...then wake up and go to the doctor to find out whats wrong.

Don't risk an injury that could end up dogging you for the rest of your life.

Good luck...nothin' hurts a guy so bad as to take away his mobility.

Talk about taking something for granted!

I'm tickled pink that I can walk normal now!!

15. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Boy thats going to leave a mark:eek:oooh: well looks like it already did:wink::smile2:. All BS aside I agree with the others, you need to go ahead and get it checked out as soon as possible. It is obvious that it is broken or at the very least fractured.

16. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I say go to the doctor you are too young to have any part of your body all messed up. Delaying might cause further injury and it isn't worth it so PLEASE listen to the rest of us and go see your doctor.~~~~~Sister Pat:big_smile::wink:

17. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    ill go to the doctor tomorrow and get it checked out. i was plannin on it anyways and just couldnt get to it until tomorrow :roll_eyes:

18. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Having that kind of thing many times, I can tell you that the doctor will cost a good deal of money to tell you that;" you MAY have fractured your foot, stay off of it as much as you can, take these Asprin and come back in two weeks, (so I can charge you again), and thanks for stopping by."
    It's going to hurt for awhile but it will be OK. IMHO

19. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    doctor said that i bruised it down to the bone and it was over strained big time and to stay off of it for a while but itll be fine

20. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Follow the aforementioned advice... and don't enter any butt kickin' contests. It looks painful...