Is it a sport?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by AwShucks, May 10, 2009.

1. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Seems as though when you get old, all you do is set around and think of idiotic questions. Mine, at this particular time is... is fishing a sport?

If your were doing CPR, then I's say it was most definitely a sport. If your fishing for the table is where the rub comes in...is it still a sport or would it be called something else. Like if you raise vegetables for the table I'm fairly sure we would all agree is not a sport. If we bought a side of beef at the butchers for our table, I doubt we'd call that a sport... so what is it when you fish for the table? Inquiring minds, at least mine, wants to know...

2. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    Some people think if it's not physical then it isn't a sport. I tend to think of fishing as a pastime.

3. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    I call it a passion!!:big_smile:

4. johnboat

johnboat New Member

State:
    pontiac il.
    I'd say in my opinion, fishing is a sport and a chance to do what you want,and not what you have to do.. and if your'er fishing for the table, it's an added bonus..:0a23:

5. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I am confused on the word SPORT I guess. How can they call car racing a sport? You have 50 or 60 cars doing the same speed, how is that a sport, now if it was up to me, to make it a sport, here is what I propose. Put one little 90 year old lady on the track doing 20 to 50 mph going the wrong way. Now you have a sport.

Golf confuses me also. I can see some potential there, but to me it is not a sport, who are you playing against? Here is what I propose to make it a sport. First you are going to have to have bigger holes, and a bigger club, and some padding, you put three guys in front of the hole trying to keep you from putting the ball in, now you have a sport.

Horse racing? Get the cowboys and Indians on the same track, have one chase the other.

Fishing a sport? I think so. Here is why I say that. How do you know the catfish dont have their on version of "Fishing", what rules do they go by? How many points to they get for a clean bait steal, a double bait steal, how munch for just a nibble? How many points if they drag a pole in? How many points if they make a fisherman fall in the water?

6. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    Fishing because you are hungry is a chore. But if you eat a fish you caught, It tastes better than a store bought fish. For me, fishing is a sport.

7. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey sport, I see your sporting a fishing cap, is fishing a sport? Now I'm not making sport of you, so I hope you take this like the good sport that I know you are. Fishing is a sport weather you eat the fish or not and I say this in a totally sporting way. If I plant vegetables for my family am I a farmer? If I CPR all of my vegetables am I still a farmer or just a nut! Could farming be considered a sport? Yes, because life is a game and we all play whether we want to or not.

For when the one great scorer comes to write against your name.
    He writes not that you won or lost, but how you played the game! .........:wink:

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I think i busted a gut laughin so hard. I say put granny in nascar.

9. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    If you fish for a living, it's a job. And no, I'm not complaining. LOL

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Actually Jack, its a welding cap... but that don't make me a welder either. LOL

11. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Is it a sport?

Here's my take on this question! Considering it's Man vs. Fish, then yes it's a sport. But logically I consider fishing more of an obsession or pastime hobby of mine!! Many tournament anglers consider it a sport, because it's their job and they make money doing it, but for me, fishing gives me piece of mind and takes the frustration out of everyday life and not worrying about my job or other stuff!!

12. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    No sport here,I fish to fill a void ,usually in my freezer,But I cant say I dont enjoy it.:cool2:

13. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Where else can a 350 pound man be at the top of his "sport". Sport's are work.....fishing is suppose to be fun.:big_smile:

14. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Some call it a chore, some call it a job, some call it work, I call it Fun!!

15. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Gary you have a twisted way of looking at things. I LIKE THAT.

16. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    Sport? Chore? I think fishing is something much deeper than that. It's about being a hunter / gatherer. It's about respecting nature, knowing your place, and knowing that you can survive without a store. CPR is good too, it's kinda like survival practice. Like camping out with your kid in the backyard. You aren't producing food, just practicing with out wasting resources. Who knows when you might NEED that fish?

Oh, and it's REALLY fun too!! :wink:

17. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    its a sport without question and heres why

"Sport is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively" taken from wikipedia.org

that well enough should sum it up however if you are fishing for table fare are you not competing with nature itself both above and below the water?? i dont know about all of yall but round here ya never know when a coon beaver possum etc will decide he likes the shad for food better than you like it for bait. then ya gotta figure ya got turtles bass crappie trout walleye gar catfish etc etc the list goes on for ever it seems but if your targetting one fish and catching others wouldnt that be like getting a ground out or pop out in baseball or coming up a mere 2yds shy of a first down in football or gettin your shot blocked in basketball??????

another point is what about hook sets ya dont always hook the fish so wouldnt that be like striking out lookin in baseball throwing a pick in football or missing an easy layup in basketball?????

they say sports require athletes but every sport has a different type of athlete, in all shapes and sizes and last time i checked not everyone is a true angler some dont have the patience time passion etc for it and as i recall one of the largest sports is baseball which is also considered a past time just because you do it for fun doesnt mean its not a sport when you were a little kid did you play sports or past times??? and another thing ya cant be a weakling and pull up the big blues and flats much less any of the much larger saltwater fish just my .02