Is it a skipjack or a baby asian carp??

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Billy_Mojo, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Billy_Mojo

Billy_Mojo New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I haven't been out here in this Platte River system very long I grew up on the Osage and I'm gettin things in my throw net that ain't familiar. I know it's in the books that you can't use them asian carp alive as bait. I know what the grown up carps look like. I caught some things today below the dam at Smithville though that I don't know if they were baby asian carp or were they skipjack? There's pictures of skipjacks online and these things were about 2 1/2 inches long and looked like the pictures online.

Do you all use them up here and just call them shad? They clearly ain't gizzards or threadfins. They looked like this http://images.google.com/imgres?img...ox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=G&um=1
    but I ain't never seen a baby asian carp either which are at the bottom of this picture here
    http://www.tnfish.org/InvasivesExoticSpeciesTennessee_TWRA/files/AsianCarp_FWS.jpg

I sure don't wanna use illegal bait.

You Smithville guys are them skipjack in there or baby asian carp?

2. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    you can use everything you showed on there ,there are no aisans or skip in smithville , but you can find both in the missouri ,skips are easier to find over in the mississippi

3. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    but you cant use aisans in any where but the missouri

4. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    they catch you with aisans dead or alive in any lake and there would be a big fine

5. Billy_Mojo

Billy_Mojo New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Below the dam in Little Platte I'm catching Bighead Carp in my throw net that CAN NOT be used in the lake dead or alive.

Those little things that I don't know if they're skips or baby carps CAN NOT be used in the lake dead or alive.

but ALL those fish CAN be used in the Missouri.

I imagine that also means that in the Little Platte there below the dam, they CAN be used dead or alive?

I thought I read somewhere that the Bighead Carp could not be used alive, only as cut bait. Am I imagining that?

6. Billy_Mojo

Billy_Mojo New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm not using any bait in the lake that wasn't either bought from the grocery store or bait shop or caught straight out of the lake itself. Nothing from below the dam is going above the dam. (well I wouldn't hesitate to use bluegills though)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  7. Billy_Mojo

Billy_Mojo New Member

State:
    Missouri
    And found out it is NOT ALLOWED to use a thrownet down there below the dam at Smithville!!

POLE AND LINE ONLY until downstream of the 169 bridge!!

DO NOT USE THROW NETS DOWN THERE!!