is gar any good eatin and how do you cook them

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by jimmykemper, Jul 6, 2009.

1. jimmykemper

jimmykemper New Member

State:
    Sturgeon, Misso
    i catch so many gar , that im thinking about cookin some up just to try it. what is the best way to cook them and are they even any good. i know i've tryed them for bait and that didnt even work

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I've heard gar balls were delicious. Never could make a decision on who was what there though.:eek:oooh: Also they,,,,quote THEY say smoke one on a cedar plank for 3 days, fully seasoned. Throw the fish to the cats and eat the plank,,,,i dunno.

3. noj77

noj77 Member

State:
    Saint Peters, M
    There was an article in Missouri Conservationist last month or the month before about eating gar and preparing it. They recommended wire cutters to get through the skin:eek:oooh:. Some have used gar as cutbait with some success.

4. jimmykemper

jimmykemper New Member

State:
    Sturgeon, Misso
    i never caught anything on cut gar

5. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Gar is great eating. I have personally eaten one. Take a hatchet and cut off its head and tail. Then take a long fillet knife and cut the back meat out of the skin. then cut the two big slabs of meat off and cook as desired. Its actually pretty easy. I would eat it again. SGT Shorey out

6. kvillcat

kvillcat New Member

State:
    Kernersville, Nc
    I've eaten Gar and it's good but AVOID THE ROW. It is toxic and will mess you up.

John

7. jimmykemper

jimmykemper New Member

State:
    Sturgeon, Misso
    what is the row

8. kvillcat

kvillcat New Member

State:
    Kernersville, Nc
    Fish Eggs

John

9. kvillcat

kvillcat New Member

State:
    Kernersville, Nc

That would be ROE....I'm an IDIOT:embarassed:

John

10. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    best use for gar i have seen is to beat the living sh*t out of it with a bat after you catch it, then once its good and mushy on the inside stab it a number of times with an old knife that has a good point on it, and then tie a rope to it and throw it out for chum. after the tenderizing process (aka beating the living sh*t out of it with a bat or rock) its like a really thick tube sock filled with fish oil, blood, and guts. it will leak that same slime earl mention along with the rest of its insides, if it dosent draw a cat it will draw other bait fish, and nothing gets fish feeding like fish feeding.

11. jimmykemper

jimmykemper New Member

State:
    Sturgeon, Misso
    i think i might try that thing about beating them and put them where im fishing , to draw the fish to me ill let everyone know if it works

12. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    They need to come out of clean cool water like early spring. They are a bugger to dress and it just ant worth the meat. I most the time I toss em back with a broken neck. There is a art to stepping on em behind the head and pulling up on the bill and getting that wonderful crunch noise. I give alot of that treatment :wink:. And let em go to feed all the lil fishies they eat.

13. jimmykemper

jimmykemper New Member

State:
    Sturgeon, Misso
    i usly cut there neck

14. jimmykemper

jimmykemper New Member

State:
    Sturgeon, Misso
    ive heard of people doing that.i have to remember to try it

15. KAYAK CAT KILLER

KAYAK CAT KILLER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Nothing wrong with gar meat. If you take the time to kill it ,beat the s**t out of it ,stab it and tie a rope around it and drag it around. You should just clean it out. Its not hard and there is a lot of nice long white meat down both sides of the back. Fry it up next time you do some fish and i bet everyone eats it all. Might even like it better than other fish on a blind tast test............."and thats the truth".(like my grandmother used to say)

16. catfishman352007

catfishman352007 New Member

State:
    ARNOLD/IMPERIAL
    gar guts are good for bait

17. jimmykemper

jimmykemper New Member

State:
    Sturgeon, Misso
    the next one i catch, im gona cook

18. limted

limted New Member

State:
    indiana
    I tryed to clean one once to eat and couldnt get my knife into it harder than turtle anyone know how to dress them ther skin is like a suit of armor

19. jimmykemper

jimmykemper New Member

State:
    Sturgeon, Misso
    use a chain saw ha ha . i used my rambow knife and it run throught it

20. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Tin snips make it real easy. My Dad would nail the gar's head to a tree, cut down top & bottom from just behind head. Grab with both hands and strip the skin off in one motion. Don't mess with the pretty blue eggs, they are toxic. Cook while fresh, they have more texture and are firmer than other fish.

It's interesting that before the fussy Europeans showed up; people routinely fished for and ate ALL of the fish in the rivers.:big_smile: