Is Gallatin Steamplant open to fisherman?

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by WLG, Dec 29, 2009.

1. WLG

WLG New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I saw on here somewhere...where it was posted that the gallatin steamplant is not producing any hot water discharge this year....just wondering if thats a fur sure thing ....and if it is producing...is it open to fisherman. I know they had that spill...didnt know if they had it open again or not. Im alamost out of skippies and thinking about making the trip to cumberland city here in a couple weeks to get some bait...but gallatin plant is closer to me. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

2. festus

festus New Member

I didn't hear about a spill at Gallatin, but Kingston Steam Plant had a spill just over a year ago. The only time I was at Gallatin Steam Plant was in the 1970's when I worked for TVA inspecting material from a barge one day. It wouldn't surprise me, however knowing TVA that Gallatin had a spill.

So I'm not for sure about the status of Gallatin, but if I remember correctly, someone else on here said it's off limits to bank fishermen. And it may be only running at 50%. I'm sure someone will get on here later who can give you accurate information.

3. WLG

WLG New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Im very sorry..i meant to say the kingston plant was the one with the spill. I saw on here though where gallatin was closed due to upgrades or something? I guess my question is...are gallatin or Kingston up and running and are either of them open to fisherman from the bank or by boat?

4. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    Gallatin is open but you have to fish from a boat!

5. festus

festus New Member

Don, did you see any of the smokestacks smoking? That used to be one heck of a place to catch stripers, but I heard from one of my old co-workers there's not too many in there anymore. :sad2:

6. crappietime

crappietime New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro Tennessee
    Not sure if it is pumping hot water or not.I was once told that it is only good when both stacks are bellowing out smoke.I am going to be going that direction Thursday with a couple guys.This time I get to drive the boat we are going to be in so I can get across that hump.The last time I was up there a few weeks ago I let this guy drive his boat and he wouldnt listen to me on where to turn in at.Needless to say we went aground.He has a nice 2072 SeaArk. full windshield and bimi top.

7. WLG

WLG New Member

State:
    Tennessee

That would be great if you could let us know the status of the plant!!! Sounds like there are some hazards there to avoid also?

8. festus

festus New Member

Sorry I forgot to answer your question about Kingston Steam Plant, Wade. No, it's neither up and running or accessible by bank. :sad2: I live about the same distance from Bull Run Steam Plant, and noticed yesterday it still isn't running. I saw only one boat out at Solway Landing. :crazy: Now the fishing must be pretty bad right now because usually around Christmas to New Years, there are several boats in there fishing around Bull Run Creek, which is down a ways from the plant. Lots of folks used to fish Kingston and Bull Run to try out their new rod/reel/tackle they received for Christmas presents this time of year.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  9. WLG

WLG New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the info Festus....i sure hope the skippies pick up soon...im gettin low on bait!! I just hate to drive 4 hours to cumberland city if its a lost cause.:angry: If you ever get down towards chattanooga give me a yell and we will go after that 100 lber thats lurking around here!!:0a23:

10. festus

festus New Member

Well Wade, I don't know much about Chicamaugua fishing, but I'm sure there are some 100 pounders cats down there since it's the Tennessee River. I know there's some monsters below the Watts Bar Dam tailwater section at certain times. Maybe I will try it down there sometime.

I haven't worked for TVA in several years, but I remember there were some steam plants in Alabama. Would they be closer to you than Cumberland City or Gallatin? The reason I never fished Chicamaugua or a lot of these other reservoirs is because I can drive to Watts Bar or Melton Hill Lakes in less than 1/2 hour. And the fishing USED TO BE great. Well, it still is in certain sections but certainly since the Kingston spill and the shutdown of Bull Run Steam Plant winter fishing is slim pickings.

Does anyone know if the hot water discharge of Sequoyah or Watts Bar is accessible to bank fishermen? Probably not. Besides, they've had a few leaks and shutdowns and I'm not really sure if even they are online now.

The last skipjack I saw were on the Emory section of Watts Bar Lake a few months back. This is upstream from the Kingston spill about 5 miles or so....SPEAK OF THE DEVIL!! :eek:oooh: There's been an explosion today at John Sevier Steam Plant, :embarassed: they're talking about it on the news right now. :crazy:..Whenever I hear more I'll post it.

11. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    Went to Gallatin Steam Plant today and it was a total bust on the skips, no steam comming from stacks at all. There was some discharge but not much. There were two guys catching alot of good size channels, they were tied to the wall and looks like they were using live shad. I think one of the ones caught was about 15 pounds.

12. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I have been to nickajack a couple of times and caught skippies 2 at a time about every cast but it was march or april.

13. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Thanks for the report Don. Was thinking of hitting the gallatin steam plant but now I may go to cc this weekend and see how that goes. just about bust on bait. will let you know..

14. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Watched tenn wild side last night and they filmed 2 guys out at the mouth of the gallatin steam plant fishing with fly rods for skips and they were wearing em out. Dont know how old the film was, the temp was very cold in the teens. They were catching and releasing. Looked like fun with fly rigs.

15. festus

festus New Member

Dern, I was gonna watch Wildside and it was pre-empted by a dang political program. Maybe it will rerun later.