Is fishing off a boat dock a good place to catch flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by nobullheads, Jul 19, 2009.

1. nobullheads

nobullheads New Member

State:
    Wichita, KS
    I am wanting to try fishing for flats off my families boat dock at table rock lake, and cast close to it using a bluegill as bait from the same dock. My thinking is the bait is there so the flats will come to the dock. Is this a good idea or would i be wasting my time looking for big flats off the dock?

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    IMO it would depend on the structure around the dock and how much bait fish was there. Do you clean fish on the dock and throw the scraps in the water? That will draw fish in, or even bait around the dock( If its legal).

3. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I agree with Jim,you,d want to have some cover within casting distance of the dock.Seems like the bottom areas around docks are usually pretty clean.I,d rather find some deadfalls near some deeper water or some nice boulder piles.:wink:

4. nobullheads

nobullheads New Member

State:
    Wichita, KS
    I think you are right about there not being much cover around the dock. There is a cove right beside the dock, maybe I can find some buried structures there.

5. dust off the poles

dust off the poles New Member

State:
    kansas
    I think you need more supervision while fishing. I really should be there to add a helping hand. :wink:

6. nobullheads

nobullheads New Member

State:
    Wichita, KS
    Yep, you should be going. Maybe next time I twist your arm to go fishing you will give in.....

7. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Any place where there is water is a good idea. A dock may be as good as any place to catch some fish for sure. It's all in a persons preference where they want to try an fish.

8. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    it all depends, if theres structer, then there close buy it,but i wuld try it a few times if nothing bites move to a place with more cover,i caght my pb off a point with no cover, but it was a travel zone between nests