Is Fishing Any Good Below The Clarksville Dam?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by treloarjeff, Jan 16, 2007.

1. treloarjeff

treloarjeff New Member

State:
    missouri
    I was thinkin about fishin below the clarksville dam this summer if i get a boat by then. Just wondering if the fishin was worth it? If it is is it better night or day?

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    First of all Jeff Welcome to the BOC Family.
    Now for your ? I have a firend who is in charge of the running of that dam ,and he was telling me that he has seen some big fish caought there. Most everone I ever see fishing there in a boat is in the tailwaters on the East side. I"ve only been up there once by boat,didn't get to do toomuch fishing but,thats another story. Don't know if too many fish it at night but on weekends when nice out you'll se a lot of boats out there during the day.Theres bound to be some big ones in there just waiting for you.I'fish mostly from bank in that area.NO BOAT:sad2:

3. treloarjeff

treloarjeff New Member

State:
    missouri
    When we walleye fish up there we almost always fish the tailwaters on the east side thats kind of weird.

4. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Just curious - where is the Clarksville Dam????

5. jnjmeyer

jnjmeyer New Member

State:
    Richmond Heights Mo
    Clarksville Dam is located two dams above Alton IL. Approximately 65 river miles upstream. Its the first dam downstream from Hannibal MO. I've not had much luck there, but have seen some nice cats pulled from the tailwater.

6. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It has been a few years since I have been there but it was the first place on the Mississippi River that I fished and we didnt have any problem findiing catfish to catch. If I remember there was a stretch of sand bars on the river that a guy could set up on and I think do really well on at night.The time I was there I really didnt know much about bluecat fishing as I was pretty much a flathead man and that is what we targeted. Did pretty good too.Knowing what I know now I could say that catching big blues would be pretty easy at times if conditions were right.

7. haden

haden New Member

State:
    Frankford, MO
    The big ones are in there. I caught a 54lb blue there last year.We put him back so maybe i will get to catch him again this year {I hope}. Some of my buddys had over 200lb in about 2 hours. I caught the 54lb right at dark in June. My buddys caught theirs during the day in Feb. Cooks tournament they had in august 06 the guys that won it caught all their fish at the Saverton dam. It is the next dam up from Clarksville just south of Hannibal. They were casting their bate up into the lock.

8. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Welcome Corey to the BOC, glad to have you aboard. My self and a couple of others on here also fished in that tournement, the ones who won sure did pull some nice fish from Saverton. Again, welcome and enjoy, there's alot of great folks here willing to help each other out.

9. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I lost a pig on Clarkesville dam in that very tournament that Mike and John and talking about. It was my only bite of the entire tournament, but I can honestly say it was a reeeeeeaaaaallll nice fish. I'd only be guessing at how big, but he ate a 1 pound skipjack in about 2 seconds, and emptied 3O yards of drag into the dam gates before he busted off. I was using a Penn 320 with a heavy action rod and 80 pound braid. I'd sure have liked to get him in the boat. Hey, Mike and John, I'd really like to put the boat in up there this summer and do some fishing, all I need is a partner. hint hint hint. :cool2: Seriously, lets have a mini get together in Clarkesville this summer. I think it would be a great time. I'll bring the "Big Daddy" up and camp out somewhere. Good Luck to all. Cant wait to get back out there.

10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Glad to have you Corey. Welcome Aboard.

11. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I too fished that tourney. I didnt catch much in the way of fish but I did win the boat. sold it last month. dont need two boats. I will likely be there this year too.

12. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I well remember you winning that boat Bob. Great Job. Hope to see you again this summer at the Cooks tournament. Shaun puts on a good tournament, and its a great time to see some of the BOC folks. This year, I hope we can turn the tourney into a mini BOC get together, even if its just to hang out and have dinner after the weigh in.

13. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Hey, look who’s grounded for a few, so it takes the talk of a tournament as bait to bring up the Cuz. Good to see you back on here John and that mini get together sounds great. We’re all getting spring fever to get back out on the water. I know John Surgeon is ready, we’ll all just have to pick a time and go for it. I’ve been up on MTL pull’an some nice crappie out but haven’t been below Clarksville chasing the walleye much this winter. Looking forward to this year being out on the water. Oh John, there’s a certain ole fish’n buddy of yours who told me about a superstition you have... :smile2: Now, I would'nt say any names, maybe he was just kutin up... Welcome back brother. Great to see you in here Bob. I remember you winning the boat, didn't you also place in tournament?

14. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    you couldnt possible be referring to the infamous Kutter and his kind are you? He hibernates this time of year like a bear. You wont see him till its 75 degrees out. :big_smile: If it is indeed Kutter you are referring to, I'd imagine he told ya a nice bananna story. Tell me about these crappie. I've been fishing Wappapello Lake and catching large numbers of slabs but most dont even make the 9 inch limit. I'll drag the boat to Mark Twain if I knew I could get a nice limit of slabs. Keep me posted. Cuz has the spring itch too.

15. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    yeah Shaun puts on a good tourny. I heard from one of the guys he sponsors he has been workin on this years tourny for a while already. But I did not place. I just barely had 7 lbs and that was 3 fish. I need to spend more time on the Ms. It is totaly different from the Mo. Not as much current up there and not as many dikes. I just got a call from my buddy that shaun sopnsors. This year he is giving away a complete boat, motor, and trailer. He is also paying 6 places. I dont know of any more changes. Sure got me ready to go.

16. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Thanks for the information and look forward to seeing you at the cooks Tourney.

17. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Mike you sure got that right I'm ready to go .This cold weather and that white stuff on the ground is starting to get me down. And Cuz that mini gathering around Clarksville sounds good.Now who's gonna get it all planned out. How about it Mike.To me the best place to meet would be at that public use area just North of Clarksville. Plenty of room there.People camp there and everything. Only thing is primative ,No electric no bathrooms .But hey neither did Lewis and Clark.

18. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    I'd be happy to John, you both have my cell # or you can pm me. Think of some dates that will work and we'll make it happen. Burr, come on spring, was going to go to MTL today for crappie but the high there will be 30 with the high wind chill of 25... decided to pass... come on spring

19. STICKBENDER

STICKBENDER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    HEY MIke where you fishing on MTL. I live a couple miles from ramp and most I've been to in last week are froze up, and if you got in water you would never get out as ramps are sheet of ice.

20. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Last Thursday I put in at the U ramp. Fished off the main lake points over drop offs with cover about 20 to 23 feet. Nice slabs avg. 10 inches... had 3 little wanna be crappie dinks, rest were nice... started with minnow drop shotting, then went to jig, jig was definitely it for the day. Water around 35 degrees. Appreciate the word about the ramps, I would've been all over the lake look'n.